LABron James Discussion: 21st Season - Setting New Standards

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 8, 2017.

1. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

for me it's about what is more enjoyable as a fan. I am having a lot of fun watching these kids grow and would love to add PG to the mix. i've never cared for Lebron, so no, that path isn't appealing to me. I understand that adding Lebron instantly puts us in the top 4 in the West and adding him with PG could make us a contender, but I also think we could be contenders in 2-3 years by only adding PG and some smaller moves. I don't think Lebron is done, but I have serious serious concerns about how his body is holding up AFTER the 2019 season.

I get why anyone would want Lebron and there is a part of me that wants it just to have an outside shot at competing for a title next year, but ultimately I'd rather slow play this.

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

The majority of Laker fans don't want him because they've spent a long time hating him. I understand that. I don't like him either.

But five years past his prime? Empty stats? That is pure hate with no attempt at objectivity.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  3. therealdeal

That's just one season! It would be a pretty shocking development if he collapsed in one year. I think he's got a solid two years left at his current level with a slight decline and a bit more drop off the next two. I could absolutely still see him playing after that but at a lower level, something like Jordan with the Wizards.

And trust me I get it. If we don't sign LeBron and we only leave with George, I'll be more than happy with that. It'll be the best FA signing we've had since Shaq. But If i can skip ahead and compete today, I want to compete today. These young guys are exciting and there's something great building, but we have to keep the perspective in place that we're excited over a team that just won 30 games. That's not a disservice to them, it's just reality that it'll take long time and we aren't sure to compete at the highest levels even in a few years. I'd rather we go for it if we can.

4. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Well that's probably true too. I never liked him.

All athletes are better at age 28 than age 33. And stats mean less when you lose. Pretty objective I'd say.

5. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

it's just one season but Father Time always wins and I just have this sinking feeling that we'll see a drop off after next season. I'm not making any predictions, just a concern that I have.

Ultimately, if we can get PG and Lebron without losing Randle, then that team may still develop into a competitor even if Lebron was injured in 2-3 years. I totally get the arguments for Lebron and most people would say it's crazy to argue against so I don't really disagree with anything you said.

Cookie and tada like this.
  6. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Then let's offer the Kang a 2 year contract! Thank him for his services in 2020 and we'd go our seperate ways. Perfect! :)

7. therealdeal

The non objective part is 5 years past his prime which stats and success show he isn't. Also dismissing his numbers so thoroughly when we'd be through the roof with those numbers from anyone.

The way I view it: he's a tool the Lakers can use to find success, emphasis on tool. And now that the Lakers can get him (if they try hard enough) without losing Randle, I'm fully on board. Also mostly because I still believe George coming without him is 50/50, but 100% if LeBron comes too.

I'll enjoy the kids in a long buildup, but if we can take a shortcut and keep the major pieces, I want that instead.

8. shoe

shoe - Rookie -

Think about this - a "5 year past his peak" LeBron is still clearly the best player in the game. You really don't want the best player in the freakin NBA?

And barring injury, he will be a top five player for the next 2-3 years...his bball IQ is something he will always have.

9. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Well the stats don't show how much he's taking plays off on the defensive end. He used to be an elite defender. No longer the case. I believe the Cavs are better defensively this year with him off the court?

I never understood your reasoning of George having less of chance of coming alone. Why would he stay with a player (Westbrook) that's a terrible fit with him? We are playing much better than OKC.

10. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I don't think he's the best player in the NBA. Not anymore. The best player is Durant followed by Kawhi. Both elite 2-way players. LLLLLebron is somewhere in the 3-5 range currently and will continue to regress year by year.

Kobe never lost his bball IQ as well, but after the injuries... Father Time is all that needs to be said.

11. therealdeal

I think his defense has regressed, but much like George I think he's also in "don't get hurt before FA" mode. Basically this:

And I believe George will have a hard time leaving an MVP candidate to come lead this group of youngsters. We have a lot to offer, but Westbrook is Westbrook. George has said he wants a player he can work off of and h3 has said he'll only consider us if it's an avalanche of players coming here. I fully believe that was a tongue in cheek comment made knowing the Lakers plan is to get both of LeBron and George. Now the key is doing it while keeping the key pieces. If he signs by himself and we just bring back Lopez or something with Julius, I'll still be happy. But why stop at a triple if we can hit a home run?

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

george has said he wants to win. maybe okc isn't the place, but it's not a binary comparison (okc or lal). for us, it's the lakers versus everyone else. what if george decides to opt-in and demand a trade like chris paul. he could get himself sent to boston, for example.

the point is that i think he wants to play with another top shelf player. as much as we all like our young guys, they're not at that point right now and won't be next year. FAs don't tend to take the long view in terms of team development.

i've said many times that my ideal offseason would basically be adding george and keeping almost everyone else (deng included, as i think buying him out is a mistake unless you need to get two maxes). i could make arguments to george that he should buy into this: the current lakers plus george may be in 3rd place right now! but i think his own statements over time indicate that he's not interested in finishing 3rd or 4th in the conference. and he can do that with westbrook in okc.

so yeah, my interest in lebron is actually primarily interest in george. but if he comes with the league's best player, i'll take him.

13. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I don't like Lebron. I take him, but not willingly. But one thing I do have reservations about was what Ramona Shelburne briefly intimated to in her recent column. If we get Lebron, we get Lebron's world: his rules, his inner circle, his play style, his everything. This team is starting to build towards something, but that something isn't what Lebron does or has ever done in his career. Are we going to have to take this young talent that is thriving in the new style of the NBA and change it back to Lebron dominates the ball and looks for cutters and dudes chilling behind the arc? We like to think that in theory Ball can facilitate and Lebron will just be happy to fill in the lanes. But c'mon. That ain't happening. It's a definite concern. PG13 this season followed by Leonard is a much better scenario. Both of those guys are better suited to play in the offense and style that we are creating here.

alam1108, Cookie, sirronstuff and 2 others like this.
  14. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Durant is balling and winning without Steph... oh wait :D

15. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I really like that Lakerfilmroom guy but he makes no sense there. He did not dominate last night's game.

I actually think we should stop at a triple, keep the bases loaded, and hit a grand slam in 2019.

sirronstuff likes this.
  16. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

His action speak louder than his words. He demanded a trade to the 26-win Lakers last summer. What he says to the media means nothing, really.

17. therealdeal

Actually there's literally no better fit for this offense than LeBron, especially when you watch a game like last night where Lonzo was so off. LeBron would bring consistency into that starting lineup and you are looking at someone who is highly efficient, can hit from outside, and can pass the ball better than anyone else that size. Not to mention he can grab the ball and push in transition second maybe only to Julius at that size. :D The only person who I'd take over LeBron at this point for us is probably Durant because Durant is more likely to make it through all four years at his current level. But that's not possible, so give me LeBron.

Paul George fits absolutely stunningly into KCP's role though. KCP has been so serviceable for us lately, but imagine a more explosive, better defensive version of that guy. It's incredible.

Also, I find it highly doubtful that Kawhi is a real possibility anyway. There was some smoke before, but not enough that I'm willing to bet on that being a possibility. If it comes to the point where he's actually available, we can cross that bridge, but I'm not going to give up an opportunity today for the hope of one tomorrow.

18. shoe

shoe - Rookie -

LeBron > Durant in terms of overall impact still. + Durant's on a freakin super team. Kawhi barely played this year and has only really had 1 season at a LeBron level.

The difference between how Kobe aged vs. LeBron is that Kobe was always a tough shot maker/high volume shooter, while LeBron is a "make the right play" guy.

After the achilles injury, Kobe wasn't able to hit those tough shots at a decent rate which made him a net negative player his last 2 years. LeBrons passing ability will always be there and we know how much he loves his efficiency.

19. therealdeal

There were times where LeBron was absolutely dominating that game. Without trying he was doing things we haven't seen from any of our players.

And that's just something we aren't going to agree on. It's partly why I've been so down on the Dodgers. You have all the opportunity in the world, you take the swing and let the chips fall. If we have an opportunity to transform into a contender over night, I'm taking that opportunity. I want another title. F*** everything else. It's great to see a season like this that's so hopeful for a change, so let's capitalize on that hope and get back to what the Lakers do. Instead of celebrating 30 wins this year and 40 next year, let's get 50 next year and see the Warriors in the Conference Finals.

20. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Durant absolutely dominated Lebron in the Finals last year. Lebron had no answer for Durant. Couldn't guard him. Sorry but Durant is the better player, at both ends of the court, in this point of their careers.

I know I'm the one that brought up Kobe but let's drop this comparison because I could see where this is heading. It's just going to make me very angry.