LABron James Discussion: 21st Season - Setting New Standards

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student

Interesting video. Nothing too insightful about Lebron directly. Although when the hosts asked if Lebron was going to the Knicks, he responded with “I have no control over where Lebron goes. Whether he goes or stays, whatever his decision is, I don’t know ... but at the same time, I do know.” and then starts laughing.

Not sure if he was just poking fun at the Knicks fans and implying he at least knows Lebron isn’t going there, or if he was implying that the full decision has been made already and he’s aware of it but has to pretend to be in the dark.

But main takeaway was his come up story and how he emphasized how his business is focused on personal relationships and understanding each other as men. I could see why the agency would like working with Magic, and personally for Rich Paul I’d imagine he’d love to be in LA working closely with Magic. That’ll help him to not only build Lebron’s brand and business ventures, but his own as well.

Gotta imagine that when pundits are saying Lebron’s decision will focus on “family”, it may also include what’s best for close friends like Rich Paul.

therealdeal, abeer3 and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  2. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

We're all assuming we not trading for these guys and they're not getting anywhere near their maxes...

So if we are signing these guys, they know they have to fit a role here. Otherwise, they don't get signed. Check out how IT accepted a back role last season. Melo's only flaw last season is he refused to take a bench role. Otherwise he did everything OKC asked of him. He was a good team player in that regard and hardly a locker room cancer. Having an offensive player like him coming off the bench, would be a solid get with the vet min. Especially sheet we get our major names locked in and need ring chasers to round out the roster.

The beauty of a min contract, is you could waive these guys with minimal effect. If Dwight's still acting up, cut him. If Melo keeps pushing for an unearned starting role...deuces.

But in that same breath, I'm making our kids earn their spot. Till proven otherwise, Zo ain't a starter. He ain't durable enough and a 1&done rookie shouldn't be handed the keys. Like his daddy said, stop treating him with kiddie gloves. Make him earn his spot. Same with BI, Kuz, Hart and Jules. They all young and when handed the keys couldn't come close to the point playoffs...so make them earn their keep.

I see nothing wrong in that at all.

3. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

therealdeal and abeer3 like this.
  4. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    It’s like some of you don’t even care about the quality of people we sign or the culture we are building

I don’t even know you

—- Jim Buss (Probably)

5. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

LOL. Jim Buss couldn't even get a room with Lebron. Magic will not only get us through that door but have him signed in July.

therealdeal, John3:16 and sirronstuff like this.
  6. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

The thought of Jim Buss and Jeanie in a room talking shop makes me gag. I could only imagine if I was an NBA player.

7. vasashi17

They should legalize cocaine!
    - One of Jim Buss's prolific signings (Actually)

8. sirronstuff

9. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Melo isn’t coming off the bench, he laughs at the idea if you mention it, he won’t even address it. Zo is a starter, his skill and averages alone prove that. And lastly, I hope we don’t even extend a phone call to IT unless it’s to say “we’re not interested, look elsewhere”.

10. vasashi17

Magic, a 4 year collegiate pro title earning rookie, was a starter. Zo...not so mucj.. Make these young boys, man up and earn it. Why hand them anything that isn't yet deserved?

Melo don't want that LA weather and a chance at a ring to salvage his career. Deuces. If Dwight spendy want to come back to LA to make it right. Deuces.

Again, there is sick low risk to a min contract. And again, I know we're LA and there's some entitlement in that...but beggars for the last 5 years can't be choosey.

Edit: Magic is 2 year collegiate pro, which was astutely pointed out by our friendly site troll ;)

Helljumper likes this.
  11. sirronstuff

Magic didn’t play college 4 years...

:Randallconfused:

tada, Cookie and John3:16 like this.
  12. vasashi17

Yeah, my bad.... Wasn't a one & done and won a title as an accomplished collegiate player is the point.

sirronstuff likes this.
  13. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    when you flop as much as CP3, things like this happen. The universe just correcting itself.

Juronimo, Cookie, Kenzo and 1 other person like this.
  14. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Think of it like Cleveland signing Rose and Wade. You hope to catch lightning in a bottle but if you get a sense it’s not working out, you easily get rid of em. In this case, Melo and Dwight are nowhere near as washed up as those two players.

To be clear, I do NOT want either player and would generally be against a move like this. I am hopeful we will make other moves to the point where we wouldn’t have to consider anything like this. But I don’t know what our team will look like in March. Could be a scenario where bringing in someone like Melo makes sense, so I’m not just gonna dismiss it based on comments Melo is making now in OKC. A lot can change.

15. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

It’s not handing the kid anything, when you’re the #2 overall pick and you join a 26 win team, you’re pretty much expected to start and to make an impact right away. It isn’t even a question that Zo’s body wasn’t ready and he broke down because of it, but he was absolutely ready to start from a basketball standpoint for our team. One because he was the best pg we had by far, and two because he held is own against some of the best in the league and showed surprisingly good defense within a few weeks. 10/7/7 and just under 2 steals and a block per game is a starter.

I also wouldn’t have an issue signing Melo for the minimum if he were bought out, he’d be a sweet bench scorer to have. But he has said he will not come off the bench, so it’s not an option. I could see him coming here, saying “I’m not a bench player” and LeBron backing him up on that, and boom, there goes Ingram or someone to the bench that doesn’t deserve it and we have let LeBron do the coaching here. Not a pleasant scenario to imagine.

16. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Lebron's pitch to Paul George: "These kids kicked your a** last year. Imagine how bad they'll beat you this season when I replace KCP in the starting lineup. But hey, fifth in the West is pretty good."

abeer3 likes this.
  17. vasashi17

First of all HJ said it much better than I did and I completely agree with him.

Wonder who Brony is calling? We already saw what Boogie posted...is that a response? Plus there's this...

If DJ opts in then something is up. Of course if he opts out then something's afoot as well....either way, I doubt he remains a cLip one way or the other.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Bron was making calls to names we never expected...

Lastly, Weez, I think Zo was forced into the starting role by circumstance. If we have a legit title contender next season, I hope the coaching staff chooses to allow him to earn the spot than rather hand it to him, just cause he's the 2017 #2 overall pick.

sirronstuff likes this.
  18. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

He'll earn it by default. Unless CP3 is brought in (shudders) who is going to play there? I guess he can "earn" it over Caruso?

Cookie and sirronstuff like this.
  19. sirronstuff

How do players become starters?

[​IMG]

abeer3 likes this.
  20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

lol. smith barney.

sirronstuff likes this.