LABron James Discussion: 21st Season - Setting New Standards

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Huh? Where did I say this. I mentioned nothing about Kawhi or Randle. I’m purely talking about LeBron and PG as free agent signings, which I believe we have the momey to do if we renounce Randle and even if Deng is still on the books in July.

2. Weezy

Wouldn’t be good enough for me. Paul had plenty of help in his final year as a Clipper and still got injured in the playoffs and was done.

3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

my point was that if they had lebron, paul's annual injury really isn't a big concern. lebron may be fresher to shoulder the load in the (inevitable) incident that paul's hamstrung in the latter stages.

4. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Not if they want max money they don't.

Not if they want to keep Jules, while signing PG/Bron, they don't.

Weez, we've been hit with 2 tampering charges....playing free agency by the book should be the way to go.

You're kind of missing my point. Any movement (ie Dengdump and/or Jules S&T) around a verbally agreed to PG/Bron will be heavily scrutinized.

Plus "the" key free agent is Bron and he will be "the" domino to set off the rest of free agency. We won't be missing on any meaningful free agent while we wait on Bron. Historically that's never happened before....at least I don't think it has.

5. Weezy

I don’t think LeBron wants to shoulder the load anymore though, that’s why he’s probably leaving Cleveland. To say that it doesn’t matter if I get hurt because you’re here to carry us would be a terrible argument by Paul. “Oh, you mean like I had to carry the Cavs when Kyrie went down in the ‘15 Finals? No thanks”. And fresher? LeBron has been to 8 straight finals and played for multiple Team USA squads in-between, he’s carrying so much mileage he might be as big an injury risk as Paul soon enough. I know he’s superhuman, but man talk about overdue for an injury. No, I think LeBron would be looking to join a younger, fresher squad and some stars that tend to stay healthier in the playoffs.

6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

My friends offer me stuff all the time and badger me to join. :D I always tell them no, but thanks for the offer.

I think what Woj is reporting is at least somewhat editorialized. "He's lobbying for this as hard as he's done anything in his life" was the direct quote. What in the world does that even mean? That's a highly editorialized take on the situation I'm sure.

And in fact it could mean the opposite of what you're saying: Chris is trying desperately to convince LeBron to go because he needs to try desperately to convince LeBron to go.

7. Weezy

I don’t see how setting up a meeting 2 days or so into free agency is not playing it by the book, especially with the “talks” period being shorter than it’s ever been. We called Mosgov at freakin midnight and offered a deL and he took it. You set up a meeting with these players, and you hope they give you a verbal commitment a day or 2 later, that’s pretty standard. Like I said before, most free agents do that, most commit within the week or so of talks, then sign as soon as they can. Just because LeBron hasn’t before doesn’t mean he can’t now, especially since he’s had a year to think about this. Same with George, he supposedly wanted to come here a year ago. If he agrees to sign with us early it has zero to do with tampering, it means we are what he had wanted all along, and so his choice was a quick one to make, one meeting to solidify it in his mind.

8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, i think your take is about as purple-and-gold goggles-y as we can get.

i read it as: he has it on good authority that paul is all over lebron. it's rare that stories that start that way in nba free agency end with the target going elsewhere.

the other "not good" sign: the cavs could put the kibosh on this whole thing by simply saying: we will not sign and trade or opt and trade lebron to anyone. if he wants to walk, he can walk. they're within their rights to say that right now. it would shut down 90% of speculation right now, as most teams don't have an easy path to create space for lebron AND field a competitive team. but they're not shutting that door. why? unless they're open to taking what houston's going to offer.

ick.

9. therealdeal

I'm with vash a little bit in that the Lakers are absolutely worried about tampering.

This is 100% speculation, but I believe it's like this:
    - The Lakers know someone is coming, probably LeBron. They've had the discussions, they've gone through the back channels, they've done the work. They know it's happening.
    - The Lakers also know that there are a few teams that have it out for them in terms of tampering and they're desperate not to get popped for that. There's a chance they aren't allowed to sign LeBron and make their moves if the league vetoes their deals because of tampering. It's completely unfair and a complete double standard since Miami did all the same ****, but the Lakers are careful right now to cover their tracks.
    - This is corroborated by every single Laker official in any sort of capacity saying they cannot comment. On the radio today Billy Mac was on AM 830 and said he's received no less than two emails just today reminding Laker personnel not to speculate openly about what is going to happen with any Free Agents. John Ireland on ESPN710 has said repeatedly he's not allowed to speculate. My source who is under investigation for a silly reason. Ramona Shelburne has said the Lakers are taking this wildly serious.
    - All that said, I think they have to play the game and pretend like there's no deals in place so they don't get busted. That means it might take a few days longer than we'd like.

10. Weezy

Well, alright, if you say so I suppose better safe than sorry, and long as it means we don’t get screwed over waiting around. I just didn’t want to give Vas the satisfaction on this one.

:ShaqOh2: :Shaqwink: Kidding, man.

Battle Tested20 and therealdeal like this.
  11. vasashi17

I think we're missing each other on a couple of things here, so allow me to clarify.

Obviously if Bron and PG opt in and get traded to LA before free agency, that will be looked at by league offices....again, we've been hit with 2 tampering charges. So any type of CP3 shenanigans will be looked at with a microscope imho.

In regards to free agency, of course there isn't tampering with verbal agreements and having meetings...but lets say Deng gets dumped before/during/after the draft. PG/Bron verbally commit to LA during the moratorium and then LA executes further personnel transactions to bring in Kawhi. Then the books get released and we find out Bron and PG actually took less than their true maxes.

All of this is technically done by the book, but you don't think league offices will look at it sideways and wonder how Bron/PG agreed to commit with so many moving pieces still in play? Then on top of it, took less than their maxes to make the cap restraints work? You don't think other hatin a** owners will try to set up a probe to deter our golden summer?

Play it by the book and don't risk anything. That's why I suspect PG is so PC about his decision. Its why I want Bron to stay tight lipped till the moratorium is lifted.

And if your concern is Bron waiting on his decision will cost us Jules. Again, his longest decision wait time was 2 days after the moratorium lifted. We will have 2 days after the moratorium period to match any Jules offer sheet, even if he agrees to an offer sheet within seconds of July 1st.

No major free agent is going to make a decision without the Bron domino falling first.

Again, what's the problem? Better safe than sorry...and we've been sorry for 5 years now...

Weezy and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  12. Weezy

Alright, I get you fully now, I appreciate the full explanation. Yes, I wasn’t taking a Kawhi trade into account. And no, I didn’t think a Deng trade would look suspicious because we’ve been trying to trade him for a year and a half, but the way you explained it, yes, the books would have to look spotless. The combination of real pointing out all those sources and your explanation here has cleared things up for me. I sometimes forget that we aren’t Miami or Houston or Cleveland where the league isn’t going to go after us if we tamper and collude, they are indeed out to get us and we are treated differently, despite ALL that Dr. Buss did for the NBA over decades. I shall be patient, at least the draft is only a few days away.

13. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

14. vasashi17

You just spared yourself (and the board) from me going full "real deal" on yo a**...pause.

Battle Tested20 and Weezy like this.
  15. vasashi17

I suspect the Cavs not saying that cause if they want Bron to stay, they will actually encourage an opt in.

And why shut the door on any possibility. An opt in Bron traded to NOP for Davis (who's in a locked in deal for the Cavs to exploit all while sending Bron out the East). Does Gilbert say no? But then again, Bron might (see no-trade clause).

16. Weezy

Does LeBron say yes? Doesn’t he have a no trade clause?

LakerFanIam likes this.
  17. vasashi17

Yeah, Bron has a no-trade clause and probably won't say yes to that trade...which is why I made that comment.

However, I think the Cavs won't shut down a Bron trade cause it eliminates possibilities they could have if he chooses to opt in, primarily being that they want to exploit him for one more season. And any trade scenario involving Bron brings back assets for the Cavs. If they simply let him walk in free agency, they save money in taxes, but are capped out so they're limited in adding assets to the team.

Imho, they would love to trade Bron to a cap having team, cause they get a fat TPE in return (which doesn't impact taxes till its used and at that point, it applies at a prorated amount) and probably draft compensation.

18. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Also, water is wet.
    We have the space for two max contracts while most teams don't have anything even close. So yes, we are the hot spot because technically we can sign anyone.

Cookie and therealdeal like this.
  19. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
  20. therealdeal

Wild presumptive favorite. Not a good bet against the Lakers here. I'm saying guys, get ready. Decision 3.