L.a. County Raises Min Wage To $15/hr. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by acetabulum7, May 19, 2015.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I do think living in LA sort of changes the argument based on the cost of living out here. It's ridiculous how expensive California has become. I love the California coast, but I'm not sure how much longer I can afford to stay here.

Battle Tested20 likes this.
  2. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Well that's what I'm talking about. In LA specifically.

I don't think $15 and hour is anywhere near comfortable in LA. It's just barely enough to get by with a bunch of roomates, or living in horrible conditions.

3. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

LINK

jlkr likes this.
  4. jlkr

jlkr - Rookie -

old fart
    I've already seen the kiosks in McDonald's. There was a location in St George, UT that was one of several in the country where they were testing them. That was 2 years ago so I knew it was coming. This is just the beginning, the mandate for higher minimum wages will push the demand for automation into overdrive. By 2030, expect the vast majority of fast food restaurants around the country to be automated. Not just kiosks for ordering either, they'll have robots doing all the food prep and a substantial part of the cleaning. Only employees left will be shift managers and stockers/cleaners. Plus a couple of workers who maintain all the equipment. They'll be paid minimum wage because there will be a severe oversupply of labor at that point. Not much else. All those cashiers and cooks? Gone.

revgen likes this.
  5. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I look at the $15 minimum wage as, "You want Skynet? This is how you get Skynet!"

revgen likes this.
  6. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

The food tastes automated, so why not automate it all.

This change was coming since the late 90’s. I recall seeing a show at that time where they were testing scanning groceries at a supermarket in South Africa. They put a basket of groceries under a scanner that scanned the whole basket, some 50+ goods, within a couple seconds. Obviously, no need for cashiers. I’m not sure why it wasn’t implemented since then, though we have a hybrid version now where humans do the scanning. But maybe it was because they saw the destruction to that labor market.

7. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    In many cases, it requires multiple incomes, so roommates, partners, etc come into play. I don’t think I’d base minimum wage on “I should be able live in my own” type of financial requirements. That would be absurd.

In most cases, I’d guess that minimally skilled people don’t have the responsibility level to keep and maintain their own place. It’s not cheap!