Kyle Kuzma Discussion: Wizard

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

This is strange. Ingram hasn't emerged as the clear #2 behind lebron (yet). For Kyle to mention this, it seems maybe this is being preached by coaches? Weird.

tada, ZenMaster, OmarE and 4 others like this.
  2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

It reads to me that he's trying to be a team player.

The team is pushing Ingram as the 2nd guy, but clearly Kuzma has the desire to be that player. Early in the season everyone is struggling to find their roles. Last season there was no real star, no sun to rotate around. We have that now and everyone is trying to find their orbit.

The pecking order should be: LeBron first, Ingram second, Kuzma third. Rondo/Lonzo there to facilitate those three/pick their spots. McGee/Chandler there to clean up the excess. Hart and Lance there to glue it together.

We all know that's how it should be, but Kuzma would rather be 2nd (or ideally 1st). Lonzo wants to prove he's a star. Hart wants to start. Stephenson is holding the ball forever. Everyone is suddenly conscious of McGee, is he now a leading option?

Last night was the first time to me that the roles seemed to fall into place for a stretch there in the 3rd/4th quarter. Ingram was aggressive and attacking, Kuzma was picking his spots, and LeBron was LeBron. I thought Ball played really well and Hart played really well, but we're going to lean on those three in LeBron, Ingram, Kuzma order to get things done putting up points on a regular basis.

3. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

I agree. It will be interesting to see how Kuz/Ingram develop this year and who is going to be that 2nd guy. I'm not convinced it's Ingram, but I do believe that it HAS to be Ingram, because we've passed on too many all stars / superstars in a potential trade so Ingram really has to live up to the hype that we've created for him...but I would not at all be unhappy if KUZ emerged as that second guy (but he has to play defense!)

4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Right now neither are ideal until they step up on either end. If Ingram had Kuzma's confidence offensively, he'd be an All-Star. If Kuzma had Ingram's ability defensively, he might be an All-Star too.

Kuzma might need to swallow some pride and play third fiddle to make this offense work, but when he did he was fabulous. The thing is, if Kuzma plays that third role and just picks apart offenses with his shooting while LeBron and Ingram dip and dive to the basket, we have the pieces to make big runs. That line up of: Lonzo/Ingram/Kuzma/LeBron/McGee can move and defend well when they're on. The only thing they can't do consistently is shoot which makes it tough when Minnesota is hitting 20 threes (a lot of which were well defended). Lonzo and Kuzma are the only shooting threats in that lineup (weird to write) with LeBron and Ingram being inconsistent and McGee not really a threat outside the paint.

If Ingram can hit outside like he did late in the game last night, that changes our trajectory as well.

5. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I really think Kuz should come off the bench a la Manu. Besides Hart, there's no one consistent off the bench that is good enough to be aggressive on offense, with exception to Lance sparingly.

Moving Hart up to the starters makes the most sense because he gives them an extra shooter and responsible defender, which we desperately need on the perimeter. It also gives BI a chance at more offensive opportunity to find his spots on offense. If you think about it, BI hasn't really had a chance to find his role offensively on this team, and I'm sure that's frustrating him. A lot of his scoring comes from cuts or ISO's, but with Kuz out there, his options are limited.

With Kuz off the bench, he should have more opportunity and less stress being a small ball 5 and focus on being the number 1 option off the bench with Rondo setting him up and Tyson giving him an option down low.

6. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

:This:

You would think that Luke would have figured this out by now.

7. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Disagree. I think Kuz is capable of doing well as a 6th man, but he struggled in that role earlier in the season, and caught fire as soon as BI was suspended and Luke inserted him into the starting lineup. The reason is obvious, and Luke has figured it out. Kuz plays better along side LeBron than anyone on the team.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  8. TIME

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Kuz is not the reason BI is not "finding his spots on offense." The correct answer would be LeBron.

Punk-101 likes this.
  9. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Yeah. And I don't know how I feel about that. That spot should be earned on the court not handed to anyone.

Punk-101 and TIME like this.
  10. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Randle 2.0 when his contract is due...

11. lakerjones

Kuz plays beautifully offensively with Lebron, but you can't get away with them in together defensively. It's atrocious. That's why Hart is a better fit in the starting lineup.

Cookie likes this.
  12. lakerfan2

I think Kuz struggled in that role because he was playing small ball 5, was forced out of his element. Kuz is a natural scorer and will of course, work perfectly next to Lebron's unselfish style of play. Kuz has shown to not really rely on someone to set him up, so he can be a standalone scorer. I think he works with Lebron because Lebron draws so much attention, Kuz is finding easier looks.

But I can't be the only one noticing that Lebron is really letting the team figure it out before going 100% mode like we know he can.

13. lakerfan2

I'm not attributing Kuz to BI's struggles, but BI himself finding his role next to Kuz and Lebron.

BI found his role last year at point forward, and did it well next to Lonzo off ball. He was aggressive, made plays, and his shot was falling.

It seems like BI is forcing things again in places he doesn't need to. He's in his own head that he needs to be assertive, when in reality, he just needs to take what's given to him.

TIME likes this.
  14. PGinLA

PGinLA - Rookie -

Cost Control Analyst
    Agree and disagree with all of you. Having both Hart and Kuz means LeBron has two players at his dispense that can shoot from deep as well as cutting through the heart of the opponent's D. We know that, the coaching staff knows that, I think a 7 yr old kid could discern that.

Kuz-Hart-Lebron can spread the defense so well we'll have so much real estate to operate with. What both Josh and Kyle need to develop though is their passing skills among other small but essential aspects of their game.

Problem is Ingram, the supposed future of our franchise. Unless we get over that idea or we find another one or both, Ingram will remain in the starting lineup no matter how much it doesn't work.

Sent from my E6533 using Tapatalk

TIME likes this.
  15. TIME

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Don’t get me wrong. I’ve been a big proponent of Hart as a starter. My ideal would be McGee / LBJ / Kuz / Hart / Lonzo with BI as 6th man. But I believe Magic has mandated Luke start BI no matter what, so it’s a non-issue.

lakerjones likes this.
  16. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

thought Zo was the messiah?

17. PGinLA

PGinLA - Rookie -

Cost Control Analyst
    Yeah but not by me.

Sent from my E6533 using Tapatalk

18. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I don't follow how Kuzma's offense is automatically better than Ingram's. To me they're different but neither is better than the other. Kuzma is more free-flowing and Ingram is more deliberate. Kuzma fits into our offense better, but when the game slows down, I'm giving the ball to Ingram 10 times out of 10. Ingram is a better ISO player and better passer/playmaker, which separates a No.2 guy from the rest of pack imo. Factoring in the defense, Ingram is closer to a total package.

Khmrp, lakerjones, TIME and 2 others like this.
  19. lakerjones

My feelings, too TIME. When BI came back from suspension I wanted him to come off the bench, but obviously if it didn't happen then it isn't ever going to happen. They have a lot invested in BI and his development.

So it's got to be Kuz to the bench for me, because I think we TRULY need Hart to start. It will help the defense immensely.

TIME likes this.
  20. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    This.

We were a Kuzma wide open missed 3 in the final minute and a missed FT from losing that game with Rose getting a decent look at 3 to win it. Gotta Finish and make those plays down the stretch especially when they are open.