Kwame Reveals His Side Of Infamous Kobe Story

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LALakersFan4Life, Jun 3, 2017.

1. LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life - Rookie -

Remember when said Kwame literally told him to not pass him the ball, even if he was open out of fear of missing his free throws? Kwame says that's true. Here's Kwame's response to that story...

Kwame says he was less than 100% during the 2006 season...

http://hoopshype.com/2017/06/02/kwa...eer-facing-criticism-michael-jordan-and-more/

2. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

That must explain why he always fumbled the ball when they passed to him:Crazyartest:

sirronstuff likes this.
  3. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Dr Buss said Kwame was one of his all time favorites. They were actually neighbors and were at each others houses a lot for barbeques.

if Dr Buss gives him the seal of approval, I'm not gonna hate the guy. Besides, he helped us get Gasol.

It's in the past and as much as I love Kobe, he shouldn't have been ripping him out of the blue. Save that for Smush!

4. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

if his arms were so messed up how was he able to throw a cake at a guy?
    :Brows::Kobeheadbob:

kwame served his purpose in LA. he was a good defender and pretty lousy at everything else. but let's not forget that without kwame there is no pau and no titles in 09 and 10

sirronstuff and OX1947 like this.
  5. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Kwame served one purpose in 2007 before he was jettison'd. And that was increasing the suicide line activity in the greater Los Angeles area. And saying there is no Pau without Kwame is like saying without sucking we wouldn't have a high draft pick. Really?

6. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

It is hard to hate Kwame. He was brutally awful, but apparently he was more into reading and enriching his mind than basketball.

trodgers, scnottaken and abeer3 like this.
  7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i'll probably be crucified, but i always liked kwame. he seemed like a good dude who got in over his head. his life story was sort of tragic prior to basketball, and then he got to shoulder some crazy expectations that were really the fault of poor scouting. kwame didn't want to be a great basketball player. he wanted to live a better life, and basketball enabled it. running across sharks like jordan and kobe was obviously not helpful. and he's totally right: what's in it for kobe to take shots at him after the fact? what kwame's saying is that he doesn't understand kobe's mindset at all. which is ok--kobe's kind of a psychopath, as was mj. it's fine to root for them as sports stars, but i can understand that relating to them (for normal people) is difficult.

kwame had bad hands. kwame got drunk and threw a cake (sounds like a page from my playbook). kwame underperformed as a basketball player relative to his physical gifts. but we're not all trying to be the greatest basketball player ever. most of us are just trying to make it. kwame seems to have done so--and the fact that i've heard nothing about him since his unofficial retirement is very reassuring. good on him. note also that he doesn't spend his post-playing career talking s***, like the smushes of the world.

so, yeah, i'm fine with kwame.

8. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

it really was hard to hate on kwame back in the day

he made you want to pull your hair out at times but you couldn't help but feel bad because you know the guy was really trying the best he could out there

9. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Plus if you ever heard him talk, Kwame was surprisingly thoughtful

Savory Griddles likes this.
  10. OX1947

11. OX1947

jbiggs, Juronimo and 432J like this.
  12. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    I remember the day that trade happened like it was yesterday. Good times.

13. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I felt bad for Kwame after hearing about his brutal childhood with his father's disgusting physical abuse of the whole family. Horrifying. I'll always have a little soft spot for him for overcoming that abuse as well the verbal abuse he took from MJ who has always come across as a massive jerk to me.

Kwame was a really good post defender, I'll give him that. I'm not down with piling on Kwame. I didn't like it when the fans booed him here. That was uncalled for.

All that said, trading him (and Marc Gasol, let's not forget, our second round pick) to get Pau was a day to celebrate forever for Laker fans though. Three straight trips to the Finals! Boom.

14. raviator

raviator - Rookie -

I remember that trade started the doomsday thread back at Lakers Club. There was some serious doom around the league stemming from the trade!

Juronimo and Battle Tested20 like this.
  15. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    I've always supported Kwame. Seems like a pretty good dude on top of being a good basketball player. Never maximized his potential, which was immense.

16. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

The rumors of Kwame coming to the Lakers that summer was what ultimately resulted in me being here at LB. I was just scouring the net with google looking for news and I came across Clublakers and there you go. :p

trodgers likes this.
  17. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Definitely. Especially for a kid who was drafted out of high school. I said earlier that he seemed to be more interested in reading and enriching his mind than basketball. If he wasn't 7' tall and athletic he probably would have tried to major in English Literature.

18. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    One of the saddest day for me was when Staples was continuously booing him, which resulted on him fumbling more, a game after Bynum suffered his injury. Fans can be really mean even to their own players.

19. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    I'm not going to lie after reading the entire article I actually like Kwame a lot more and kind of feel bad a little bad for being so hard on him when he was on the Lakers. Also a great post defender but that wasn't always enough for me. Glad he's doing well and seems to be looking forward to playing in the BIG3 league which I'm also looking forward to watching.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    LTLakerFan and trodgers like this.
  20. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

I liked Brown... When we were playing the Suns in '06, he was abusing Diaw on the block. Granted, they did not have Stoudemire then. Brown was doing well in the first three games of the series then a false sexual assault charge threw him off. Downhill...

jbiggs likes this.