Kobe Announces He Will Retire After This Season

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by unpossibl1, Nov 29, 2015.

1. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I guess the Star Wars clip called it. Dang I'm good.

On a serious note, I hope he finds a way to stay healthy and productive the rest of the year. More so than what we've seen so far.

2. DjBelvedere

DjBelvedere - Rookie -

So this is it ... I really hope he is able to suit up on April 13th as I'll be there in attendance for my first Laker Game.

There goes someone I admired and who's basically my childhood hero ... I really hope he can somehow have one or two Kobe moments this season. A game where his threeball is falling or his body feels a lot better and he can just put up a show.

3. lakersyunowin

lakersyunowin - Lakers 6th Man -

[​IMG]
    Kobe :'(

I know I've been hard on you this season. Maybe I kept you at a critical distance because it would hurt less, knowing you'd be gone soon. Maybe it would make it easier to say goodbye if I just found ways to hate the way you were playing. I think it was a little selfish. It seems I was paying too much attention to Kobe the basketball player, and not Kobe the human being. Because you are human after all.

But all it is...it's life. Time waits for no man. It caught up to you and I really shouldn't fault you for that. I applaud you for trying to come back from an injury that most men would be defeated by. I applaud that the game meant so much to you that you didn't want to walk away without trying to stay on the court. Out there where you felt so alive. I applaud that you seem to love us as much as we love you. Seems like I didn't really think about how much you didn't want to say goodbye either.

You will never be forgotten, one of the greatest to play the game, the greatest Laker perhaps ever. You were the fiercest competitor and most driven person I've ever seen in my life, some would say to a fault. But you managed to turn that pathology into purpose. I doubt I'll see another player so fanatically motivated. Thank you for spoiling us for almost two decades with indelible Laker memories.

I think you can finally look back on all that you've accomplished now, and revel in it in a way that might have seemed unimportant to you before. I hope you finish the season healthy, on your own terms, and more importantly happy.

Seriously, stop jacking up 3's though. You're playing like a goddamn fool recently.

Love,
    Me

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    SamsonMiodek, Socrates, Kenzo and 5 others like this.
  4. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I can't help but start reflecting now, and damn were we lucky to get him (or lucky to have Jerry West maybe). This guy was the best player of his generation and we had him. He was to me the best player in the NBA for around a decade, and he stayed here his whole career unlike some other greats.

We were so lucky to have a winner like him, a guy who worked his a** off to make our team constantly competetive and at least extremely entertaining when we weren't. Carried teams in '06/'07 and probably '12 that had no business being there. He truly spoiled us like Lakers fans got spoiled the entire 80's getting to watch those teams year in year, year out. I have no idea who our next big star will be, but he won't be Kobe.

5. DjBelvedere

DjBelvedere - Rookie -

6. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

7. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Beautiful and sad. I can't believe it's the end, but we can all see that it is time. I hope he can stay healthy this season and go out the way he wants to.

It's all very bittersweet, but I'm glad he came out with this now so that people can really embrace seeing him play for the last time. And while it might sound petty, I really hope he lays off those percentage killing three pointers. Facilitate more, shoot less and go out looking better than this right now.

8. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Everybody summed up my thoughts so eloquently. Been a heck of a ride.

Thank you Kobe Bean Bryant...thank you!

ElginTheGreat and lakerjones like this.
  9. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Coming out with this now was a huge step for me. He wouldn't commit before, and that had me feeling like he was even more delusional, thinking he could go for maybe one more year. Now that I know that he's accepted his body can't take it and this is the end, I feel a sense of relief and can't just enjoy the ride. Doesn't give him a free pass to chuck for me, but it does make me know that this IS it. So I better appreciate the fadeaways he does make, the great passes he he still makes, and seeing him out there at all.

Kenzo, Cookie, RasAlgethi and 2 others like this.
  10. gill

gill - Rookie -

We all knew one way or another this would have been it for the Mamba. But it feels so much different when he made it official.

I feel so sad. :(

It's been one hell of a ride for the past 20 years with the Mamba.

11. lakersyunowin

I edited my sadface post on the previous page. Kobe deserved more than just an emoticon from me so I wrote him a farewell love letter. Love ya Bean, the game won't be the same without you.

12. CaCHooKa Man

CaCHooKa Man Administrator: Media Staff Member

When I started doing highlights 8 years ago I always said that when Kobe retired, I would retire too. Dear YouTube

tada, alam1108, TIME and 4 others like this.
  13. lakersyunowin

NO CHOOK. DON'T YOU DO THIS TO US TOO.

*looks for a ledge*

alam1108 and TheGreatOneKobe like this.
  14. Daloyalfan18-Brandon

Daloyalfan18-Brandon - Rookie -

I'll always have the memories, Thank you Kobe! Hopefully we can salvage the rest of the season to make it somewhat enjoyable.

15. CaCHooKa Man

16. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

I'm so thankful to have been able to watch this man for a significant part of my life.

I hardly remember basketball before Kobe. It's like the words basketball, Lakers and Kobe are intertwined for me. So many memories that made me love this game, and Kobe was nearly always at the center of them.

I will miss Kobe so much. I hope with all my heart that he eventually joins the franchise in some other capacity because there's just too much experience and heart to let that walk away forever at the end of the season.

alam1108, TIME and ElginTheGreat like this.
  17. CaCHooKa Man

18. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

^^ Many folks here are younger than me, so I'll just say that I've seen the retirements of Kareem, Magic, Big Game James, Coop, and many others and while it's going to be tough, the Lakers do go on. Our young core is going to be awesome to watch develop.

19. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    The only day that will be worse in terms of the Lakers this season will be the last game when he hangs them up. Sad day knowing that one of the greatest that will ever do it says he is going to hang them up. Hopefully he still has a few more vintage Kobe games left in him this season.

Cookie, TIME, TheGreatOneKobe and 5 others like this.
  20. scnottaken

scnottaken - Rookie -