KCP Discussion: Kentavious Can Produce!

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Lakerman JSJ, Jul 11, 2017.

1. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Long thread but worth heading to Twitter and watching.

Cookie, abeer3, TIME and 3 others like this.
  2. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

Does KCP make Nwaba redundant? Gotta cut someone, right? Hart? Nwaba, Brewer? Tough call...

3. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

I kept confusing his name with KFC. He helps fill out the roster.

Barnstable likes this.
  4. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

A lot of guards, thats not even counting Clarkson even though he doesn't really play defense like the rest.

5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

at least you don't confuse it with ICP.

[​IMG]

6. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

[​IMG]

and just because ......

[​IMG]

SFGOLDRUSHER, LakerFanIam and abeer3 like this.
  7. LTLakerFan

YAH!! I was going to post we finally got our Marcus Banks. The defensive savior effect. Why Gumby became an overnight sensation predicting Ariza's arrival. (Before we knew he was his agent :rofl: :clap: ) And why Ron Artest had the longest thread ever in Lakers Discussion for a non Laker. (wonder if it will still hold the record after Paul George thread?)

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  8. YoungThundercat

YoungThundercat - Rookie -

I know the plan is to clear the decks next season and sign all 15 All-NBA members in FA, but under the right circumstances (KCP stays healthy, straightens out some of the consistency issues, gets along with the kids, would be open to taking less than max $) I would be cool with him being the starting 2 for a long time. He's about 6 months younger than Clarkson, has flashed NBA caliber 3&D skills (aside from the above consistency issues) and is a great athlete/finishes well in the fast break.

He seems tailor made for Lonzo, both as a catch and shoot 3pt maker, fast break finisher and his ability to slide over and guard the tougher back court assignment. Very excited to see how this move plays out during the season.

abeer3, lakerjones, TIME and 2 others like this.
  9. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Simmons has been the loudest drum beater on LeBron to LA.

10. LTLakerFan

Bill getting a "cramp" in his arm patting self on back.

:Laugh:

Cookie, Battle Tested20 and TIME like this.
  11. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

Good signing. Like Lopez, KCP has a one year audition to see if he deserves a longer contract, which I like. Maybe this signing will silence the folks who still have their lips poked out about DAR being traded to Brooklyn.

:Dfunny:

johnnyboy and LTLakerFan like this.
  12. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

how do you fit KCP in if PG does sign here? Ingram isn't a PF

LTLakerFan likes this.
  13. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Nwaba is a little redundant at this point. Nwaba would be the one to go. It's not going to be Hart as he has a guaranteed contract (he was a first rounder), and he actually showed in college he can shoot. Brewer is an expiring contract that will be worth something at the deadline.

One Word: Gunnar

Punk-101 and LTLakerFan like this.
  14. therealdeal

Alright now that I've got a minute: What a pull by Magic and Pelinka. I said before Pope won't make or break the season (get us to the Playoffs), but he's a big improvement on our roster. I think it's a testament to our brand power and the power of Magic and Pelinka as FA recruiters. I think Pope could have gotten a longer term deal elsewhere, but he's got a shot to earn a ton of money next summer by betting on himself either with us (assuming we miss on everyone) or with another team. I do think Lonzo and Luke had a bit to do with it, but of course we had the highest one-year total to offer. Still, I have no doubt other teams offered more years, we just offered the best one-year contract. Either way, it's a great sign for things to come. I genuinely don't think it can be overlooked that Pope is part of the Klutch agency. It's not a direct "Pope means LeBron is coming!" kind of thing, but it is a relationship building kind of thing. Keep in mind, one of the Laker bloggers has said that Maverick Carter has had more than a couple meetings with Jeanie Buss. This is just more smoke to a slowly burning fire.

To the pros/cons. I'll start with cons: He's not the smartest player in the world. He tends to take bad, early shot-clock shots at times. His TS% hovers just over 50% which isn't great and is mostly due to his free throw shooting being decent. Pope is a 40% career shooter from the field which is horrible and just an average shooter at 35% last year.

However the pros: he's a hell of a defender with quick feet, strong hands, and a good feel for what the offense is doing. He's got great length which helps him challenge shots. Having Caldwell-Pope is going to take a ton of pressure off of Lonzo to be a defensive stopper and in fact should suit Lonzo well since Lonzo is a better off-ball defender. Pope gives us a big, long guard option to go with a big, long group from 1-3 between Ball, Pope, and Ingram we should be able to switch everything on the perimeter eventually.

Offensively Pope still fits Ball almost like a glove. You can see in those highlights that Pope is an incredible athlete who loves to run. Pope will be the beneficiary of many outlet passes from Ball getting easy points in transition. Pope is a streaky shooter, but he's solid coming off of screens on the wing. I'd expect a lot of Pope coming out on the left side of the floor (by far his favorite) where he can either curl to the rim or bow out for a three.

This is a heck of a coup for the Front Office and a good day. He won't make us a playoff team, but he's going to get us a few easy points and could win us a couple games here and there.

15. Lakerman JSJ

Lakerman JSJ Moderator Staff Member

Look at Lonzo's mustache. Do you think it tickles women when he kisses them?

Weezy, therealdeal and OmarE like this.
  16. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

I think w/him this is a 32-34 win roster right now.

therealdeal and Khmrp like this.
  17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i don't understand the lebron angle. i don't see what the lakers did here being sensibly construed as a favor to an agency, as i'm pretty sure that pope taking a one-year deal is not a good look, no matter where it is. he turned down 80 million; this doesn't save face. doing a favor for the agency would be finding a way to get him his 80 million back, right?

the other angle would be that lebron is steering his guy here over comparable offers because...scouting? i'm just not sure i get it.

i also don't understand simmons' angle. normally, i'd say he's jinxing it/speaking it out of existence. but it would actually favor his precious C Bags to get lebron out of the east. so...i'm pretty confused.

hence, i'm going to ignore the lebron stuff here and focus on a solid FA pickup.

svtzr, Juronimo and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  18. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

This puts JC on the bench, baby!

lakerjones, Savory Griddles and Weezy like this.
  19. therealdeal

Like I said the first part is relationship building. We're going to sign Caldwell-Pope to a big, one-year deal with the possibility of turning that into a big deal next year. It shows a growing trust in the Lakers from Klutch as we give one of their clients the high life and help (through back channels) start good conversations with other people in the agency.

Giving Caldwell-Pope an 80 million dollar isn't doing them a favor, it's buying Pope's soul. We'd have bid against ourselves and we'd have cut off almost any opportunity to get LeBron in a year. That's not helping anyone, that's just silly. Doing him a favor is giving him all our cap space, a starting role, and an opportunity to try to get that 80 million dollar check next year.

Like I said, it's not a 1-to-1 kind of thing, but it's relationship building nonetheless.

Weezy likes this.
  20. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

Simmons has his finger on the pulse of the NBA, or so we are lead to believe. Of course no one really keeps a tally of when he is wrong. But that's the industry standard.