Kawhi Leonard Discussion: “I’m A Snake Clipper Guy.”

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Helljumper, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
  2. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

I'm not gonna lie I sorta feel bad for the spurs fan base. Put yourself in their shoes imagine if we lost Kobe in his prime like they did.

3. bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy - Rookie -

Their FO got a bit too cocky, thinking they were the Spurs and could do whatever they wanted. They should have treated him like a superstar and just allowed him to get his outside medical care without putting pressure on him to play and leaking reports that the Spurs doctors said he was cleared, especially if Leonard himself said his knee was still hurting. They also should have come out and publicly supported him and told Tony Parker to STFU.

We would have never treated Kobe like that. He went to Germany all the time for treatment on his knee, and we never said anything. Hell, when the rape allegations happened, it's because he went to Colorado to get surgery (on his knee, I believe) without even telling the Lakers organization about his plans. And they fully backed him up through all of it.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  4. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I agree, the Spurs didn’t back him, their staff looks bad. Maybe Kawhi didn’t want to be there long term, maybe his uncle did become an issue, but to me it feels more like the Spurs acted like the Patriots and that whole situation with Brady and his trainer. But unlike the NFL, in the NBA the stars really are bigger than the coach, or the franchise in most cases, you can’t just replace them with another helmet that will take orders better and play ball. They really acted like they’re above it all and they could push Kawhi to play before he felt fully comfortable too, and I believe he also watched what was going on with Isaiah Thomas and didn’t want that to happen to him. I think Popovich telling reporters to talk to Kawhi’s people if they wanted answers, and Tony Parker coming out and downplaying his injury to the media were the last straws. Maybe neither side handled the situation as well as they possibly could have, but I’m with Kawhi here because only he knows when his body is ready to go. If he came back too early maybe his career ends because of it, but instead his sits out basically an entire season to try to ensure he’s fully healthy. In the end these teams don’t care about you more than you care about yourself, they just want you out there making them money, so if you know your body isn’t right, take care of yourself. IT learned this the hard way and I think a lot of players going forward will look to him as an example.

alam1108, OmarE, TIME and 6 others like this.
  5. bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy - Rookie -

Well said.

6. Paperplanes

Paperplanes - Rookie -

Interesting quote.

So Leonard will zip up his parka, play an obligatory season with the Raptors, respectfully decline their offer for a long-term supermax contract and bid adieu to the Great White North next summer … just as the Lakers, who conspicuously have been signing free agents to one-year contracts, clear salary cap space for him to join LeBron James. Right? That’s the off-the-rack take. Here’s what someone who knows Leonard as well as anybody told me privately: “He’s going to fall in love with Toronto – it’s going to happen. He’s not going to leave, I’m telling you.”
    – via San Diego Union-Tribune

sirronstuff, Weezy and abeer3 like this.
  7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

that is pretty interesting.

oh well. you can only control what's in front of you at decision time. at this decision time, leonard basically hadn't played in a year due to a mysterious injury, and his team seemed to be asking for all of our young players and several years' worth of draft picks. we didn't have a derozan to offer (btw, note to future organizational self: get those guys when you can!), so we got left out.

there will be other opportunities to get high quality players in the coming year or two (perhaps even leonard himself, of course). some may cost less and work out better. i remember not pulling the trigger on jermaine oneal (using more assets) before getting pau gasol (using less). hopefully, that's how this shakes out.

lakerjones, Juronimo, Weezy and 4 others like this.
  8. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Puts them $48m in perspective, doesn't it...?

9. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't be shocked if he stays.

I also see no great reason to stay for him besides the cash and if the cash were that important to him, why would he have forced his way out of San Antonio? Toronto is not a city that will inspire loyalty. They don't have the draw of an MVP caliber player. Obviously Toronto is a stark contrast to San Diego, Riverside, and Los Angeles. California taxes aren't great, but Canada taxes are bound to be even more fun.

All that said, he also has greater individual opportunities in Toronto. As a solo star in the East he'll make more All-Star appearances, All-NBA appearances, and All-Defense appearances which could trigger pay raises in his sponsors and endorsers. The fan base more than the team are wildly loyal and really pull for their players.

The other big difference: we have LeBron already. If someone doesn't choose us now (and I'm including George in this because he knew), it's because they were afraid of playing in LA with LeBron. Whatever player chooses us in 2019 chooses the spotlight and chooses the challenge. Be that Kawhi, Klay, even Durant, or maybe a guy we trade for, it'll be someone ready to step up and just like LeBron deserves respect for picking us at 35 wins, that guy will deserve respect for being willing to come over.

10. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    That’s a good comparison about not giving up a lot of assets for O’neal and then ending up getting great value for Pau.

And I think that might be part of the reason it’s in Kawhi’s best interest to plant seeds about staying in Toronto.

It’s quite possible that a mid-season trade pops up for us that is too good to pass up, essentially taking away the max slot we’d be able to offer Kawhi.

LTLakerFan, Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

right. we have a lot of cap space in 2019, but that means we have a ton of expirings in 2018. most of them aren't guys we care too much about, either. so if some star becomes disgruntled, we can eat a lot of salary (instead of sending out a boatload of young talent) in trade.

i'll be watching jimmy butler's situation. marc gasol's situation. lillard's situation. just think of any team that has an allstar caliber player and a roster that might be capped out and falling short of expectations/hopes. and yes, that could also be leonard in toronto. just can't get tunnel vision. i think that might have happened a bit with paul george, but hopefully that's just fan perspective and management was watching other situations the whole time.

12. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

GlickenGoshDebate Tactics Guest

You mean if things go wrong the second superstar coming there can be the spacegoat?

13. therealdeal

No.

Juronimo likes this.
  14. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

GlickenGoshDebate Tactics Guest

You know how much the press loves No Charisma Brony...

15. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Exactly. I'm kind of thinking Leonard stays in Toronto.

However, as I pointed out the other day, there are other stars that could become disgruntled.

We have options and flexibility. And we have all of our draft picks now, too.

therealdeal likes this.
  16. therealdeal

If you think LeBron lacks charisma you have a different definition of charisma than any definition ever.

17. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

if he stays he stays...just dont do no 3 part garbage espn special

Cookie, alam1108, therealdeal and 2 others like this.
  18. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Based on my impressions of Kawhi’s personality and priorities, it’s entirely plausible that he falls in love with the city of Toronto.

But I would be stunned if he chooses to remain a Raptor after how they just handled DD in light of his own Spurs experience. The Raptors GM straight lying to DD’s face is not the kind of thing Kawhi finds endearing.

19. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Yes! Kawhi of the North. Embrace the sub zero wind chill and regular temps. Woooo!!! There's always the fishing .... on the plus side.

[​IMG]

20. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    I haven't really brought this up yet because I've though it to be too early to be concerning myself or anyone else of this but I do have real questions about how Kawhi would fit in with the Lakers when it comes to all the media scrutiny and attention our players are under. It's nothing like it was in SA and it will be nothing like it is in TOR. I know Lebron is the alpha on this team and Kawhi can be the 2nd fiddle (Robin) but I still think he's underestimating how much extra media attention and things he going to have to do if he comes here.

I can see that affecting him mentally and emotionally. Also what happens when Lebron retires and Kawhi may then be the 1st option. All things way down the road but things we need to consider if we're (god forbid) trading assets for this year. He will fit on this team basketball wise just fine, he'll enjoy the weather and endorsement opportunities if he so wishes to indulge. But all the media and countless interviews, people questioning if our team is falling apart every day at practice if we happen to lose a few games.... that stuff is going to suck for Kawhi given his nature and personality. I have real concerns about that.

Just something to think about...