Kawhi Leonard Discussion: “I’m A Snake Clipper Guy.”

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Helljumper, Jun 15, 2018.

1. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Yes and no. I still hate that he spurned us but it sounds like really had a bond with that team and I get that based on how long he was there.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and trodgers like this.
  2. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Well all the young talent is what the Spurs wanted from us. The details is that Pop didn't want to trade him to us, to create another dynasty. Plenty of reports of him and RC rather sending him East than to us. With that in mind you can't compare what they traded Kawhi for with what we could/should have gave up.

3. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

Toronto should trade Kawhi to the Lakers at the deadline instead of roll the dice on him walking away. They will at least pick up a decent piece or two with picks, maybe. Lakers would be more likely to give them a decent trade if by February it looks like Kawhi will make the difference of getting to the Finals.

4. bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy - Rookie -

All I'm saying is, LeBron at 35 won't be as good as LeBron at 33. And in his 18th season, his value will start to diminish a lot.

We also assume our young talent will make large strides. If they don't, their value declines. Look at what happened to Russell. I don't think the Nets would be able to get as much for him as we did, tbh.

5. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Meh, she’s been harping on this for weeks. You can’t “waste” a year of a player’s prime before it’s happened. We don’t KNOW if Kawhi is healthy or damaged goods. The reality is if he IS, trading Ingram and pieces for him alone could make us a WORSE team this upcoming season. Obviously if he’s healthy and back to the player he was then you could trade multiple players from our core and we’d be better, because he’s that good, but we don’t know that now do we. Him playing in Toronto allows us to see if he’s back to his old self while keeping ALL of our assets, and if he tells Toronto he is NOT staying there, they can always try and make a trade with us at the deadline and we will have seen if he’s his old self and therefore might be willing to give up more. You could say Ingram and Hart or whoever’s trade value may dip by then, but I highly doubt that, if anything they look even better most likely. I remain glad we didn’t give away half our team like everyone else has for LeBron’s sake. He chose our team as-is, let it play out for a few months and then go from there. Again, it’s not a wasted year before we’ve seen how we look as a team. If it’s bad, adjustments/moves can be made.

6. bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy - Rookie -

Hopefully they will be more reasonable, and willing to trade him for Ingram and picks. At this point that's the only way I see for us to salvage this season.

There's one big pro and con though, assuming they do trade him:

PRO: We get to see how healthy Leonard is
    CON: If Ingram and Kuzma, etc don't play well during the season, then the Raptors will want more assets, and the Clippers become dangerous.

7. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

well thats why mgmt traded Russell and NOT BI, so they know more than you or I

Weezy likes this.
  8. bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy - Rookie -

Anyone on this board would have done the same. It was clear Ingram was the better prospect from day one. But Ingram's ceiling as a player is Leonard. And if we had traded for him, we don't waste LeBron's VERY limited prime in waiting for Ingram to maybe become that guy someday.

Anyways, what's done is done. No point in crying over spilled milk. I'm ready to move forward with the team as constructed, and see how the perform, and where our gaps are. I'm more curious to see what offense we run, as that will dictate our success more than anything else at this point. I think we made a mistake, but only time will tell who is right.

9. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

To salvage this season?
    We still got Lebron freaking James. We signed some guys to give us an identity, to play hard and extend Lebron's career. We drafted some nice young pieces. We kept our other young pieces who have a chance to make huge strides. We have cap space flexibility for next offseason. If we can gel, we are a Curry turned ankle or KD knee strain away from giving them a good run for their money.

This isn't MozDeng. I feel like you are being negative for the sake of being negative.

SamsonMiodek, Cookie, TIME and 7 others like this.
  10. ElginTheGreat

Then so be it.

Several of us have been preaching from the jump that it was unlikely Pop would trade him to us. It's still going to be tough, but that's the nature of this thing. Pop was being unreasonable and I support the team's decision to not cave in and trade off all of our assets.

I'd love Leonard but let's not get boxed in to the thought that there are no other moves that can be made. The Leonard to Raptors thing wasn't even a thought a few weeks ago and here we are.

The front office has largely delivered on what they've promised. They've earned the benefit of the doubt IMO.

If they felt the price tag was too high there's a good chance it was.

11. bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy - Rookie -

I'm of the championship or bust mentality when we have a superstar with probably 2 good years left. I'm all for player development, just not in this scenario.

12. bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy - Rookie -

Like I said, I think we made a mistake. But only time will tell. At this point I'm ready to move on and see how we design our offense. As far as trades and roster moves we're pretty much all set till the deadline.

13. ElginTheGreat

Season's already been salvaged honestly. Look, I understand we all wanted to end this with a superteam, but that was always a long shot. We've added a minimum of 13 to 15 wins in my opinion and should be a playoff team. I guarantee you no one, including Golden State will want to deal with us in the playoffs with Lebron.

This isn't cause for celebration but its also not time to panic either.

14. bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy - Rookie -

I'm of the championship or bust mentality when we have a superstar with probably 2 good years left. I'm all for player development, just not in this scenario.

15. Kou

Kou - Lakers 6th Man -

I mean you have KCP at PF....

TIME likes this.
  16. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

chip or bust is why we had the past 4yrs happen

17. ElginTheGreat

Yeah. We made questionable moves for injured stars and it set the worst stretch in team history in motion

18. bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy - Rookie -

We were tanking, pretty obviously, with Scott at the helm and the lineups we put out.

Back then we didn't have the best player in the NBA with probably 2 elite seasons left in him. I get what the FO was thinking, but LeBron in year 16 >> LeBron in year 18. Plus with the young kid's value being at an all time high, now was the best time to trade for Leonard.

But we didn't, and it's fine. I'm just repeating myself so there's no point in further discussion. Let's see how the next season and offseason play out.

19. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

zo,kcp,wagner,deng, 1st for ibaka/leonard...ibaka inclusion gives tor an incentive since hes so terrible and overpaid

20. ElginTheGreat

And yeah, I’m biased but I think the Spurs will regret not taking a couple of the kids.

I’m not ready to say any will be as good as or better than Kawhi.

I do think there’s a good chance at least one of them will be better than Demar.