Kawhi Leonard Discussion: “I’m A Snake Clipper Guy.”

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Helljumper, Jun 15, 2018.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

There's definitely more people operating under the assumption Kawhi won't stay than there was for Paul George in OKC. I don't think we can easily dismiss the "stabbed in the back" angle from the Raptors here. I think they've really damaged themselves.

2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

well, SA had been rumored to want:

allstar level player
    young player
    picks

and they got it...sort of. i'm not impressed with poeltl, and the pick is weak (late first or two seconds).

and we'd heard toronto's name for a week now, right?

toronto needs to get off lowry or derozan's deal, and the latter is easier to do. could they have dumped derozan into space next season without losing other assets? sure. are the assets they attached really moving needles when you're in a rebuild? nope.

deal makes sense for both sides, imo. much like okc's george deal, it's sort of a salary dump with a really high upside. okc cashed in big time (though in hindsight, their assets were pretty darn good). tor probably won't, but i don't think they'll be lamenting the move even if leonard walks. i don't think derozan's value is high right now.

3. PurPle n GoLd 1

PurPle n GoLd 1 - Lakers 6th Man -

Yes weird all i did was copy n paste

therealdeal likes this.
  4. therealdeal

I just meant based on what was being reportedly offered, this is a deal that I don't think Philly, LA, and Boston were expecting. If Boston or Philly had offered anything of consequence, I think they'd still be in the mix, but this to me was probably the best offer by a wide margin that San Antonio got. DeRozan has his flaws, but he's an All-Star (not exactly a young one, but one locked in). Poltl is nothing and the pick is nothing, but at least they've got a "proven" guy. I don't think anyone else offered anything close to this.

5. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    damn spurstalk is down lol CL like

6. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

LOL @ Spurs. Like LOL.

You thought, morons, this is better than whatever we may have been able to get convinced into? Like Ingram + Hart? LOL.

Also... absolutely BEST scenario.

1. we get to see how healthy Kawhi really is
    2. we get to keep all of our young players
    3. we get to say "f*** you" to the spurs

It is not PG 2.0 We have LeBro-hurl-hurl-hurl. So... a different team to join to, unless Kawhi is that insecure.

7. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Grow up NBA players. 30 million for a mental weakling when it matters is more of a travesty.

Regardless if Kawhi stays or not, Raptors win in this trade.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and Weezy like this.
  8. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

We don't really know if we offered anything like that. But the breathless reporting from Woj on the SA demands was that they wanted 3 times that much including a couple 1st round picks.

9. ZenMaster

Even worse. They thought they'd get Kuzma + Ingram + Hart, or whatever crazyass nonsense Skip was bringing up... LOL.

10. therealdeal

11. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Kawhi Snow has officially been sent to the Wall to defend "The North."

He'll leave the Wall, unite with the rightful "King" to the throne, and battle against the White Warriors who now added a Zombie Ice Cousins.

You couldn't write this any better. Game of Zones is gonna have a field day lol.

12. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I figured the player response to this wouldn’t be favorable

13. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I will say I do think it’s about time for Ingram to start delivering consistently on the floor. We’ve now passed on two all stars based on his potential. Time to really show the faith in him is justified

14. ZenMaster

Yeah... Toronto lost quite a bit of rep... They will find it VERY hard to attract FAs.

15. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

it's not just lowry we have to worry about kawhi starting a bromance with

[​IMG]

Kenzo, Barnstable, abeer3 and 2 others like this.
  16. therealdeal

:D Philly having just a terrific time lately.

17. therealdeal

Here's the hot takes coming in:

18. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Spurs look terrible cause Chris Carter was all over the airwaves saying Pop would take care of Kawhi (and in doing so, show other players that coming to the Spurs is an investment worth taking). Instead dude (but probably mainly RC) sent Kawhi to the farthest place from a big market and in doing so forced Kawhi to walk away from 50m.

Supermax was never going to happen, so Kawhi sacrifices about 30m if he and his bird rights are traded to a team of his choice (220m vs 190m). However, bird rights be damned, he's not going to re-up there, so in the process he will walk away from 50m to sign the max with whoever next summer (190m vs 140m). The Spurs really took him to the shed in that regard and what free agents will look at that as favorable when considering SA in the future. So Carter is going to really take the Spurs to task when he hits the airwaves now.

And then there is Toronto. They fired the coach of the year, salary dumped a player that was supremely loyal to them, Drake out here catchin Ls and when push comes to shove, it sure looks like Masai was rightfully put on blast by Bryan's burners... Cold game indeed.

What free agent is going to look at Toronto seriously now, while Masai is still there?

What a terrible deal all around for both teams. I'm pretty sure Derozan will make the best of it with Pop, but he's clearly not happy with it and Kawhi can't be happy with how he was done (to him the Spurs misdiagnosed his injury, made him the bad guy and not a team player and then cost the man 50m, let alone 80m).

We're looking extremely good in all of this...but the cLips are still in serious play and if Kawhi gets flipped to them, Kawhi will have 50m reasons to pick them over us. I still think we need to move on dude while we can...

Toronto can really start rebuilding in 2020, so Deng's contract lines up with that timeline...Bonga, Moe, Zu and Svi would honestly be a good haul for them with Kawhi practically out the door anyways. But does it beat a Avery/or Tobias plus Shai & JRob cLips deal?

19. PurPle n GoLd 1

PurPle n GoLd 1 - Lakers 6th Man -

What if derozan dont shown up 3yrs 28mil with a player option 3rd year and kawhi does the same and not show lmao

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  20. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

it's really not a terrible deal for TOR. it's just a messed up deal because of the way they handled it with derozan (telling him he won't be dealt)

TOR will kawhi and lowry will at least make the ECF. don't think they'll get past boston but in a lebron-less EC they're one of the best teams