Kawhi Leonard Discussion: “I’m A Snake Clipper Guy.”

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Helljumper, Jun 15, 2018.

1. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

this is the best possible scenario for the lakers

when PG was dealt to OKC he never stated he didn't want to be there. the fact that kawhi is unhappy about being dealt makes me feel a little better about this not turning into PG 2.0 where kawhi stays in toronto

but damn, its hard not to feel terrible for derozan. face of the franchise for years now, just gets told he won't be traded, and now this. although i think he'll be great playing for pop. lowry+healthy kawhi will make noise in a lebron-less east and the spurs will still be a bubble playoff team. good trade for both

also, it's wrong to compare kawhi and PG. when PG was dealt from indy to OKC there were never any reports stating he was unwilling to commit there or that he was unhappy to be dealt there. just that "LA was his preference."

if these reports of kawhi being unhappy about being dealt to TOR are true then things are very much still in our favour. my only fears are he starts a bromance with lowry or that he's dealt to the clips at the deadline. but like others have said, its very simple. if kawhi wants to be a laker he will. if not, oh well

2. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I think that's what Magic and even LeBron will pitch to him. I gotta think LeBron learned a bit from his relationship with Kyrie.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  3. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Both of you overlooking the large animal in the room ....

[​IMG]

NO ... Sillies .... what does OX want?

sirronstuff likes this.
  4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I agree on Kawhi's motivations. I think the "LA" part of it is a desire to be in a bigger market which (given Kawhi's lack of personality) is probably more financially driven/driven by his agency and uncle than Kawhi wanting to be "home". That doesn't mean the Lakers don't make heaps of sense for him, but I don't think he has his heart set on the Lakers for altruistic reasons.

I don't know what underwhelming for us would look like, but I'm not that afraid of it to be honest. Most pundits are saying we're not even a Top 4 team out West somehow so if we finish somewhere in the 3-6 range I think we're good. The thing I'm a little worried about is our kids not being as ready for this moment as some of us want them to be.

abeer3 and ElginTheGreat like this.
  5. PurPle n GoLd 1

PurPle n GoLd 1 - Lakers 6th Man -

What if kawhi dont show up

6. therealdeal

He'd forfeit his entire 20 million dollar salary and induce fines for failing to live up to his contract.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  7. therealdeal

8. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

I’m happy about Kawhi going to Toronto. It’s the best case scenario for us. I really didn’t want to trade Kuz, BI or Hart.
    This way we still have our youth and Kawhi may walk to us free of charge next summer. Is there a chance he stays or gets traded someplace else...sure but life is about taking chances. Some work, some don’t but think about all the free agents we didn’t get that we wanted (Aldridge, DeRozan, Dwight etc). Sometimes the best trades are the ones you didn’t make.

I think there’s a good chance Kawhi is ours next summer. Plus at least this way we will know if he’s healthy and fully back to his MVP days.

tada, TIME, Juronimo and 15 others like this.
  9. therealdeal

He's not the first person to hint that Durant could leave the Warriors.

10. PurPle n GoLd 1

PurPle n GoLd 1 - Lakers 6th Man -

edit- no need to embed a tweet, just copy a link to the tweet and paste it in the message box. The site will format it into a Tweet for you (shout out to @Barnstable and @thkthebest ) -therealdeal

11. therealdeal

And if he is, and the kids don't look quite as ready as we'd hoped, then maybe we revisit a trade with the Raptors in February (after Lowry gets hurt for the hundredth time). This is definitely going to be a fascinating wrinkle. Pressure is on every party right now for Toronto and LA.

12. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

kawhi came up with pop and duncan

there's no way he'll fail to report to TOR. he knows that'll completely destroy his rep and what he'll lose because of it

i still have a hard time believing he'd up and leave TOR if they make a deep playoff run but like i said, if he wants to be a laker he will

13. LTLakerFan

14. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

15. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

We can discuss a deal with Kawhi and the Raps. The Spurs weren't going to deal him to us and never intended to, IMO.

That chapter is over now. If Leonard wants to be a Laker, make it happen. We can discuss a deal by this February or work an S&T next summer if that is an advantageous route both parties want to pursue.

This gives us much more flexibility for now, but again, let's see....

16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

or if any of them stagnates in any way. what if ingram shows up and is just last year's ingram? hurts our position. very important that the team performs well this year, imo. it's why the post-lebron signings made me a bit nervous. we need ingram, kuz, or lonzo to have a bynum-like breakout.

wonder what he means by "...for a bit of nothing". is he saying that kawhi is damaged goods or that there's no chance he re-signs there? or something else?

17. therealdeal

This trade came out of left field honestly. I didn't think anyone would part ways with a real asset, but apparently Toronto is already gearing up for a rebuild. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they try to flip him to us at some point, especially if they're struggling.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we said no.

18. jordan-esque

jordan-esque - Rookie -

19. LTLakerFan

abeer

"or if any of them stagnates in any way. what if ingram shows up and is just last year's ingram? hurts our position. very important that the team performs well this year, imo. it's why the post-lebron signings made me a bit nervous. we need ingram, kuz, or lonzo to have a bynum-like breakout."

Guess you haven't seen the revisionist history going on currently in the resurrected Alleyhoops thread on Bynum. Bad attitude and one dimensional.

20. therealdeal

The post-LeBron signings, particularly Rondo, actually made me feel better. If someone like Hart takes a step back, Stephenson can take some of those minutes. If Lonzo's shot is still crap, Rondo is more than capable of starting.

I think DD is just hurt so any trade out of Toronto feels like they're trading him for nothing after he's given them everything. Plus, the writing on the wall of this trade looks like Toronto is already gearing up to tear it down. I'm sure their first choice would be to build with Kawhi, but shedding all that salary really looks like they're just preparing for the inevitable.