Kawhi Leonard Discussion: “I’m A Snake Clipper Guy.”

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Helljumper, Jun 15, 2018.

1. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

You ain't about this life dawg.

2. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator - Rookie -

I hope everyone realizes that if the Raptors decide to trade Kawhi at the deadline that the Clippers would likely offer Tobias Harris (solid, starting caliber player who’s only 26 and also a expiring contract), Shai Gilgeous-Alexandre (looked like the best rookie point guard in summer league, plus he’s Canadian. Toronto would love that), Jerome Robinson, and future picks.

If the Lakers’ best and final offer is Deng, Svi, and Wagner... Toronto will take the Clippers deal and our chances of getting Kawhi long term disappear.

The best scenerio for the Lakers would actually be for Toronto to hold onto Kawhi for the entire season and let him enter free agency as a Raptor. That way we don’t have to actually give away good assets to compete with a Clippers offer.

abeer3, alam1108 and Khmrp like this.
  3. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

Ox would offer bi, Lonzo, kuzma and Hart for Kawhi plus 17 first round draft picks.

tada, sirronstuff, alam1108 and 3 others like this.
  4. OX1947

110 percent.

sirronstuff likes this.
  5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

6. OX1947

Si.

sirronstuff likes this.
  7. LTLakerFan

Loco

sirronstuff likes this.
  8. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

@ZenMaster Kawhi will definitely put the L in Leonard if he chooses the cLips over us, but on the P scale, I still rate what KD did as tops, followed by Paula at a close 2nd with Dwight at 3rd. If sometime during this year, his camp says he's "hellbent" to get to the Lakers and still chooses the cLips over us, then he starts exponentially climbing that P scale imho haha.

As far as a trade package is concerned, we're bidding against potentially 50M and the Logo if the cLips beat us out in a trade offer. With his bird rights, he can get a max deal of 5yrs 192m, while without his bird rights the most he can get is 4yrs 141m.

Toronto is looking to unload off of Lowry, Ibaka to avoid the luxury tax...why would they take on Deng?

I think we got to get Sac involved and send them picks, while Toronto uses Kawhi to get off of Lowry's contract. Sac takes on Deng, Lowry and gets draft compensation with possibly a young asset (ie Zu). Sac gets an "all-star" to mentor their youth/Fox. Meanwhile Toronto gets our 2018 draft class and maybe Hart while dumping salary and getting under the tax line to rebuild.

The urgency to do the deal is to exploit Bron's prime window (why waste a year of it?) and to make sure the cLips don't steal yet another star from us that could prolong our current star's trajectory (see nixed CP3 deal and how it shortened Kob's career).

abeer3 likes this.
  9. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

And if Kawhi decides to stay a Clipper, that says it all.

Don't need that type of mentality here. I'll take a player ready to win over that.

Jaguar likes this.
  10. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

This is a good sum up on the issue, but I’m glad Dwight did what he did.

LTLakerFan and John3:16 like this.
  11. vasashi17

Hahahaha Got no love for both parties involved and I love the fact that they're s***tin on each other.

Bowen with the truth tho....Kawhi never said he wanted the cLips...he wanted the Lakers hahaha

#cLipsGonnacLip

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

bowen never took his spurs jersey off, much like sean elliot. at least elliot's been banished to local broadcasts for his favorite team.

13. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Clippers once again show their “loyalty”. First Griffin, now this ridiculous firing. Unless you’re the coach’s son you really don’t get guaranteed a long run there. I wouldn’t go near them as a star free agent.

14. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

brucy doing us a solid 2 birds with 1 bowen lol, now its only lakers in la n trashes lac mgmt :Laugh:

15. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    The stench of Sterling hasn't left I see. Gool 'ol flop city.

16. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator - Rookie -

This is what scares me. Say the Clippers trade for Kawhi at the trade deadline by offering Tobias, Shai, and Jerome Robinson.

They can salary dump Gallinari to a team in the offseason because he would be a expiring contract the following year and can still play. Just sweeten it with a pick

They have cap space this summer to sign 2 other max free agents to add to Kawhi.

Their pitch to resign Kawhi in the summer would literally be, “give us the names of any of the free agents you want to play with. We will get them and build around you, and have players who’s skill sets would work well with you. What’s that Kawhi? You want to play with Kyrie and Jimmy Butler? We can make that happen!”

Just because it’s on the ugly stepchild team of LA doesn’t change the fact they have the resources and cap space to make this happen

abeer3 likes this.
  17. vasashi17

cLips do scare me too only cause I respect the Logo so goddamn much.

But alot has to play out the right way for the cLips to add 2 max type guys to Kawhi next summer if they trade for him this year.

First Kawhi has to opt into his final 21.3m instead of opting out and signing for the max next summer. I doubt that happens, even if he ends up a Laker. He's going to start getting that bag that he's lost out on. I would be shocked if he sacrificed even more money from now on....he coulda forgone his trade kicker to Toronto, but opted instead to get that extra 3m.

Lets say Gallinari gets dumped for no incoming salary and the cLips get rid of any non-guaranteed money next summer, they'll have 3 players (including Kawhi) that make up 47M in team salary, if you incorporate Kawhi's 32.7m year 1 max. With a cap set to about 109m, cLips have roughly 62m in spending power. But if you incorporate the incomplete roster charge for 9 spots, then they lose roughly 7m in that spending power. So 55m won't be enough for 2 max guys unless the 2 max guys are young players in the 25% max 0-6 season tier.

That being said, I also doubt the Lakers can flip Deng for Kawhi this season since Toronto is also looking to dump salary if they choose to rebuild (will use Kawhi to dump salary is my speculation). So we would have to reroute Deng to a cap having team like Sac. The plus side to incentivizing Sac with immediate young assets as opposed to future draft compensation is to attempt in killing that 2019 pick (only top 1 protected) they sent to Boston.

I would trade young assets (2018 draft class going as far as sending Hart too if need be) with Deng to Sac and send future picks to a rebuilding Toronto. Kill that Boston pick, bring in Kawhi and dump Deng...yeah we lose some of our young guys, but that would be worth it to me.

Sac: Lowry, Deng, Zu, Lakers 2018 draft class (include Hart if push comes to shove)
    Toronto: Sac's expiring deals for Lowry salary dump, pick swaps w/Sac and future Lakers 1sts (include one of Moe, Svi, Bonga or Hart if Sac isn't high on them to get the deal done)
    Lakers: Kawhi

abeer3 likes this.
  18. LTLakerFan

Let's see Kawhi play for 5 months and what he looks like. Let's see the Lakers with LeBron and the young talent and the FAs play for 5 months and then sort it out. This is perfect.

Alcindor, D-Fish Man, Toklat and 3 others like this.
  19. vasashi17

Yeah I think LT is right that this is going to the deadline for sure...cause Moe, Svi, Bonga as well as the cLips 2018 draft class have been tradeable for roughly a week now, but no traction on a Kawhi deal has been revealed.

Plus Toronto just brought in Monroe (which is pretty much a 6m investment if you consider salary and associated taxes for a vet min guy), so it looks like they're going to give this the old college try, before they see Kawhi as a walking asset they have to trade.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  20. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

It begins

Alcindor and abeer3 like this.