Kawhi Leonard Discussion: “I’m A Snake Clipper Guy.”

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Helljumper, Jun 15, 2018.

1. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Kawhi related? Maybe not, but pretty weird that a 4year 20M deal leaked this morning.

Anyways, if such a deal was added to the books, the Spurs would have about 111M in team salary...and interestingly enough, their rookie Walker hasn't signed his deal yet.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and abeer3 like this.
  2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Do it Spurs.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  3. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Who the hell is Davis Bertans?

4. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

...same as everyone who has a laptop, a blog and fancies themselves a reporter?

Juronimo likes this.
  5. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I think she beat Pliskova to advance at Wimbledon today. Saw it on the ESPN.

gcclaker, TIME, Kenzo and 3 others like this.
  6. vasashi17

Per the Philly Inquirer:

So it seems like it's between us and Philly at this point with the cLips package being wack and the cbags backing out of discussions.

Cookie, abeer3 and therealdeal like this.
  7. OX1947

Sixers deal is likely. We just need to hope that no matter what happens over there, he still comes to LA in a year.

sirronstuff likes this.
  8. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

That is a crap offer, even with the picks. Covington is already 27, going on 28 this year, and he's what he'll always be: a very average 3 and D player. Dario Saric is a decent piece, but he's probably Tobias Harris at best. Those 3 picks are likely to be in the mid-late 20s every other year.

Honestly Ingram by himself is almost better than that offer. Ingram/Hart/Zubac/1st blows that offer away. And that's an offer the Sixers haven't even made apparently!

The Spurs are screwed.

Cookie, abeer3, sirronstuff and 3 others like this.
  9. OX1947

The unprotected Miami pick could be a top pick in 3 years. Miami is going to suck more and more every year. Could be the best early pick they can get. Saric and Covington can be good role players. Plus the Spurs got two of their legends in the late 1st round (Parker) and 2nd round (Manu). More importantly, they avoid trading to the Lakers. I truly believe they would rather get a ok deal than deal kawhi to LA. They know if they do that, even if they only get BI, they set the Lakers up for the next 5 years.

alam1108 likes this.
  10. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

The Spurs are idiots. They’re basically dealing with an Isaiah Thomas situation and they think they’re the C Bags and are going to get a Kyrie Irving, Jae Crowder, Nets 1st round pick type deal, and they aren’t. The league saw what happened with IT, that his mystery injury had hampered his play way more than anticipated, and they aren’t going to risk everything for that, especially teams in the East that don’t really NEED to risk getting him and now have a shot at the Finals anyway because LeBron is gone. Add to that that there wasn’t even the threat with IT that he wouldn’t sign with the team he was traded to, where there is with Kawhi, and the offers are even worse. Should have traded him before draft day.

11. therealdeal

AND Kawhi is demanding a trade to LA. There's almost zero value on Kawhi and the Spurs are asking for the world. You're right, should have traded him before the draft to the Clippers for Harris/pick.

Cookie and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  12. therealdeal

I don't disagree, but that offer still sucks. And if Kawhi ends up in Philly, I'd be surprised if he didn't stay there.

13. therealdeal

Just for fun I've been perusing the Spurs Talk Forum Thread to see how Spurs fans are feeling about all this.

Some of them are still thinking they're going to get a massive return even after recent reports that the Sixers are basically out. In fact the Sixers are apparently trying to lure RC Buford away from the Spurs. I think that'd be a good move for him honestly as the Spurs are clearly a sinking ship. However, that'd mean the Sixers and Kawhi are probably not a good match, right?

Either way, it's pretty funny reading their responses to the recent offers. Reality is starting to sink in for them though. Kawhi has no value right now and any deal they take will likely be a bad one. If we offer them Deng/Ingram/pick at this point, it still might be the best offer they get. :D

14. OX1947

Good. I hope they continue to burn. Scumbags.

15. vasashi17

Klaw, if you turn anything like sLaggee, I'll kut you.

16. therealdeal

I don't think any of this is likely to be wrong. I think the ancillary parts of Kawhi's life are making a huge impact on what he's doing right now. I think getting to a big market is crucial for him because he wants more money from shoes and all that.

Unfortunately, I agree with De Paula: that's not really Kawhi's personality at all. If he does get to a major market, he needs to hire a publicist team that can make him relatable. Who really is going out and buying Kawhi shoes? Nobody because he has the personality of a fish. If he wants to make that kind of money he needs to remake his image and right now all that his team is doing is hurting his image more and more.

17. OX1947

If it's Jordan Clarkson or Julius Randle with personalities of a fish, it's a little sour. If a guy like Kawhi Leonard wants to be a mute, I am completely cool with because when he is on the court, he is a mega star.

DarthRekal likes this.
  18. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

But how much of this is Kawhi advocating for a bigger shoe deal and not his camp? I've never heard this stuff out of Leonard; his change in attitude, demands, $$$$, I think can mostly attributed to his camp.

At the end of the day, I think Kawhi just wants to be home...

LTLakerFan and therealdeal like this.
  19. therealdeal

In the end though, it seems like Kawhi's people are the ones making the calls since he refuses to come out and say anything to anybody. I think LA is a natural landing spot for him so he can come home and his people get their market so they can try to squeeze more out of Jordan Brand. I still believe his personality is an awkward fit here in LA though. Being a Laker kind of means playing the game off the court too. Look at Kuzma and Hart compared to KCP or even Julius Randle to an extent.

There's a lot of weird pieces to this that I think is also driving Kawhi's value through the basement. His uncle is apparently another Lavar Ball type of guy. All of this stuff with the shoes and needing a larger market. Is Philadelphia the kind of market that helps shoe sales? Is Boston? Why would either of them give up assets if they feel like Kawhi's people will drive him to LA? Then add in Kawhi's apparent health problems, and the Spurs are absolutely f***ed here.

20. OX1947

WTF? and WHY?

sirronstuff and LTLakerFan like this.