Julius Randle Discussion: MIP

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I just realized he played quite a bit this game, looked up the exact number, 30 mins. Didn’t seem to hurt his energy or anything at the end of the game. So yeah, enough of the 20 min crap, Randle needs to be playing 25+.

Cookie, tada, KB24 and 5 others like this.
  2. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Weez, but he had 4 days of rest, a -5 and 5 fouls.

I get that you're going to get a ton of fouls called if you're playing Embiid, but his motor was running on high cause he's coming off 4 days of rest, we're helping him with Embiid on the double team and we didn't have to burden him with scoring too much cause we got it from other sources tonight (6 other players scored in double digits).

He took 3 threes and only drew 3 free throw attempts when BI drew 10. Also he didn't go all out on the boards like he normally does, only grabbing 3 tonight.

I'm not mad at the 30 mins of play, but his PER and +/- is ridiculous because of the limited minutes. I would rather limit his minutes till the trade deadline and if we retain him, then extend his minutes to 30+.

Limiting his minutes helps his trade value, controls his extension ceiling and allows him to throttle to the closing seconds of the game without being in foul trouble or gassing out and playing inefficiently (ie shooting more 3s, staying away from the paint aka limited FTs and rebounds and most importantly, not playing balls to the wall defense). He is so good defensively this year cause it's all effort and high motor...being smart with his minutes helps us the most on the defensive end.

3. Weezy

Sorry, Vas, we don’t agree on this one. I’m not looking at trade value and PER/ +/-, I want to win games, and more Randle and less Nance wins us games. He’s in fantastic shape, he’s fully capable of playing 25+ minutes per game.

Toklat, OmarE, John3:16 and 7 others like this.
  4. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

I'm confused with the Nance thing. It's Nance-Kuz fighting for minutes at the 4 with BLo-Randle fighting for minutes at the 5.

5. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Randle was once again a huge difference maker for us. Thank goodness Slowpez got that foul and Luke pulled him in the fourth because we were about to lose the game with all of the starters in. Randle needs to be the guy down the stretch for us to have a chance to win. We've seen it over and over and over again, now. He was so big playing that hard nosed D down the stretch and really throughout the game. His energy is infectious and he helps us immensely. We just look better with him out there.

6. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

:This:

I'm with you all the way Doc.

tada and LTLakerFan like this.
  7. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

We need to keep him.

8. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Great strip on Embiid on that crucial stop... Randle did lose that ball on a possession and was good to see Walton yelling at him not to dwell on it. Play D.

tada, LTLakerFan and lakerjones like this.
  9. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    Randles defense this year has been impressive in comparison to previous years. Fun to watch. Love the fire he plays with too. great game tonight

lakerjones, tada, KB24 and 1 other person like this.
  10. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

What do you expect with his per when he has to guard an offensive beast the size of Embiid a lot of his minutes?

11. Weezy

I’m not trying to knock Nance, I like Nance, it just seems when Nance’s minutes go up, Randle’s go down. Tonight it flipped, Randle played 30, Nance played 22. That’s not on Nance, that’s on Luke to figure out, and to me they should be getting pretty equal minutes, whether that means less Brook, or less Nance, whatever, it should be more balanced.

12. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    Absolutely, Randle seems to be a leader this year for this team. It was always clear that he can be the emotional leader. The problem has been his attitude which has improved immensely this year.

He fought Embiid hard and was once again a difference maker.

lakerjones, LTLakerFan and tada like this.
  13. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

:Randallconfused:
    :Lonzoreally:

14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i'm one of the few nance fans on the forum, but i think an even split of their minutes makes more sense than the 60/40 split we've seen. this must be possible, right?

15. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I don't know if it was a joke or not, but Luke said he took Randle out in the fourth to spark some anger in Julius.

16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

time will tell if luke's handling of randle has been clever or stupid. i know most here think the latter, but i'm not convinced. it could be that he's maximizing randle right now.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  17. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Honestly I think he’s maximizing him but I don’t see the harm in playing him around 30 minutes regularly like tonight.

therealdeal and tada like this.
  18. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I think a lot of us like Larry but are just frustrated at how Julius has been handled and with the opinion of so many he has "zero" place in our future. After as hard as he has worked and with the impossible match ups he's left on an island to defend at times. Since he's a dominating PF, not really a center. Hard to call him at 6'9" with short arms having to wrestle buff 7 footers small ball, but dutifully he does it and still comes up short on playing time so often.

gcclaker, lakerjones and tada like this.
  19. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

He's been much more patient in his surveying of the defense before he attacks or passes.

Loved seeing him nail that straight away 17 footer, then pump fake another, getting the defender to bite, then blowing by him for a dunk.

20. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

To be fair my position (and I believe Vas's too among others) is less that we don't believe Julius is a piece worthy of keeping, but that the FO and/Or Luke look like they're not interested in keeping him around. Couple that with our 2018 plan and it just seems like his days here are numbered whether we like it or not. Of course if we could find a home for all or Deng's contract, all bets are off.

ElginTheGreat and LaVarBallsDad like this.