Julius Randle Discussion: MIP

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jul 15, 2015.

1. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

27/12/5

Give him minutes and these numbers will become routine for Julius.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  2. Kou

Kou - Lakers 6th Man -

Sometimes I think you may actually be Julius Randle himself.

3. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

He should have been playing these amount of minutes all fricking year.

Loving what I'm seeing from him and NOT surprised he's killing it now with consistent minutes.

Trading him would be a HUGE mistake. I'm a believer in Randle and he needs to be here long term.

4. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

:Brows:

5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

3-4 years from his prime. And the ONE guy on the team opponents don't want to mess with. Or step in front of often with a full head of steam. That summer league prediction when he was a rook came true. People get hurt guarding him.

6. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I don't like to admit but I love it when dudes go sprawling when they get too close to Randle. I actually find it very amusing.

Anyway, what a game last night. He and JC are balling right now.

7. LTLakerFan

Well same here when Shaq was knocking the hell out of guys but I felt uncomfortable because he was just so huge and then of course would call them out for flopping and not standing up to him and his elbows as well. He was a bully. BTW I think if a defender has good position and is up on you solid and a big strong guy on offense leverages and lowers his shoulder ramming him all of a sudden that a lot of those results with the defenders knocked flying are NOT flops as we call out here or on air announcers. It's "physics". Of course .....of course there lots of flops and floppers in the league.

8. fabfourlakers

Am I the only one who is still angry about the Randle benching for the first, oh..35 games of the season?

THe scary thing is...he's our best player on most nights. Ppl can't really guard him on the block.

I can't help but think that if we had given Randle the starting job from the get go....where would we be in terms of our record?

Oh well...at least he's starting now and I hope he remains the starter rest of the year.

tada, LTLakerFan, Kenzo and 2 others like this.
  9. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

10. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Walton's early staring lineup this season was pretty terrible. It was counterintuitive. But it may have been dictated from above by the FO, so I'm not sure who to blame there.

At least now we are doing the right thing and starting him. He's been really strong as a starter. The numbers bear it out.

The only good thing about his coming off the bench the first half of the season was seeing that he could really play the small ball 5 role well. His defensive switching in the bench role was phenomenal.

tada and LTLakerFan like this.
  11. fabfourlakers

Great. So we'd be in the 8 spot if he was starting and playing 30+ minutes a night from the get go...

Thanks Luke. And thanks Magic/Pelinka

tada likes this.
  12. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Fab4, I'm sorry bro but that's such a cookie cutter way of looking at it. Again, more minutes to Jules does not necessarily equate to more team wins.

Jules as a starter: -6.7 net production
    As a reserve: -1.4 net production

Jules minutes in wins this season: 21.6
    Minutes in losses this season: 23.5

There's so much more that goes into this story, but you simply can't say the more minutes he plays the more likely we are to win... Actually it's to the contrary.

However, what you can say is what tada claimed in that the more minutes Jules earns the more statistically productive he is. But with trade season in full effect, I still truly believe they are limiting his minutes for a reason.

13. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

so your stat line would suggest less time for randle = possibilty of more wins?

14. vasashi17

Randle at less than 20 minutes per: 8-7 record.

However in every team win, Randle has always been a net positive on the court. In team wins, he's +11.5 but in team losses -10.1.

That tells me it's not the amount of minutes but the type of minutes he puts out there. Defensive effort is harder to quantify. So looking at net plus/minus gives you somewhat of an idea. Jules earns minutes and there is a high correlation to team success when he's largely a defensive presence for us.

When he's not, he gets pulled out of the game.

15. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

but why is this "earned mins" criteria only applicable to randle? i dont see it being used against any of the other young players, ingram can go mia in gms but his mins remain constant, ball can go 1-9 still gets large mins, etc.

tada and LTLakerFan like this.
  16. vasashi17

I don't know... Probably something to do with age and seasons played in the league. Both them dudes are 3 years younger than Jules and combined have less seasons in the league than Jules does.

Also in order to pull out potential that's on the cusp of being realized, wouldn't you push that person more?

It's no secret Randle plays with more energy and furor when he's upset. I think it's somewhat ridiculous, but Luke has purposefully pushed his buttons as a ploy to get the most out of him.

Randle's looked better from it and his agent doesn't seem to care, so why are fans catching feelings towards his minutes when there's absolutely no correlation to team success? Inquiring minds wanna know.

sirronstuff and therealdeal like this.
  17. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Kuzma got pulled for defensive effort yesterday.

tada likes this.
  18. LTLakerFan

Eye test. Pretty simple. As a starter and with more minutes consistently (pulled when necessary) .... the team is benefitting more than with him relegated to the bench at 20 minutes. No matter how you continue to spin the Randle story.

Toklat likes this.
  19. vasashi17

LT: the only one spinning this story is you bro. Eye test? You clearly didn't check the numbers that I posted. If you looked at them, you would understan that Jules minutes to team success isn't as "pretty simple" to this Randle story as you would think.

20. LTLakerFan

Except there are so many other player's performances and numbers and influences that go into those games won and lost and you boil the numbers down to only Julius. It's really pretty obvious to me we are a better team with him starting whether at the 5 as necessary or the 4 and Nance on the bench. (Pulling Randle to make a point or change in his play that game as necessary) I wouldn't be getting aggressive on this with you but we that see this are being broad brushed as Randle apologists because you're so hell bent on getting James here. I want PG first and foremost.

tada likes this.