Julius Randle Discussion: MIP

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jul 15, 2015.

1. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham

He’s handled things well so far, but with three other starters out, he plays 20 minutes. Nance has a great game, but something has to give. No good player would be happy with the inconsistent playing time.

Khmrp, tada, abeer3 and 2 others like this.
  2. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Honestly this whole thing is just annoying me at this point. Make a move already or just let the guy play. We’re making this way more difficult that it has to be.

tada likes this.
  3. ElginTheGreat

Eh. If I were Dlo I’d see how Randle is getting treated and be even happier that I got dealt.

tada likes this.
  4. ElginTheGreat

5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

OX now has me looking at Julius looking at random birds in the sky when he interviews. C'mon Julius .... look the little people in the eye.

:Randallconfused:

6. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

ETG: I totally understand the sentiment that this entire episode with Randle is frustrating to watch and I would hope the delay in dealing him in a trade is due to the FO haggling up until the trade deadline to get the best value for him.

However here is what I don't get...Randle's feelings (ie the mistreatment of Randle). Its not only you ETG but many fans are feeling this way and I mean this in the most respectful way possible, but who gives two s***s about how Randle, DLo or whoever feels in how they were treated? They're getting payed handsomely and its their MF'n job to come out with effort in the minutes they are given. I appreciate Randle's tasmanian devil approach to the game, but lets be honest...its his job to do that and if he wants a bump in pay, then he better be flying all over the court.

IMHO, Randle hasn't done s*** for us. I've looked to see if there was any correlation between minutes played for Randle and us winning...we've won more with him playing less than 20 minutes. Going back to the years of yesterfutility, we've been losing with Randle so its not just this year. And if I'm being brutally honest, its cause Randle doesn't have the "it" factor. Again that's just my opinion, but based on how the FO is "mistreating" him, it all but confirms to me that they don't think he has "it" either.

Randle has a redshirt year where he could have gotten his body right...I mean he had the freaking Mamba there and his insane 5am workouts to learn from. Yet dude waits till a contract year to get in the best shape of his life. Forget Magic issuing him a challenge or him possibly wanting to look extra cute for his wedding, that dude waited till his contract year to put in the extra work. If he's going to "treat" this thing like a business, why can't the Lakers FO?

Going back to Randle's redshirt year, wouldn't that put him at the same age as Slenderman? So you're going to get in the best shape of your life entering your contract year, while BI is entering his sophomore campaign and earning the label of team's gym rat. That right there shows me one has "it" while the other doesn't.....which is why one is "untouchable" and part of the team's core moving forward, while the other isn't.

Fam, the fascination with Randle is crazy to me. Dude hasn't won us anything, so why the f*** should we care how he's treated?

I'm not with the unnecessary and excessive Randle hate that the dude frankly doesn't deserve, but I ain't with us treating him with kiddie gloves either. And if that makes me a Randle hater, then so be it. But I would be pissssssed AF if dude took a max slot away from another 2018 FA target. Lock up 2 max guys and then dole out what's left to Randle, but a $20M player he is not....unless yall want to keep losing and give the true Randle haters a reason to hate the dude even more.

7. Big Mamma Jamma

Big Mamma Jamma - Rookie -

I agree with most of your post Vasashi. Although these guys get paid handsomely they are still human and subject to emotions. I don’t blame Randle at all for feeling the way that he does. No one really knows what it’s like to be the subject of trade rumors and living under that constant uncertainty.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and tada like this.
  8. LTLakerFan

Warts and all Randle gets better every year and he's not close to his prime of which it's going to suck seeing him continue to improve leading up to it and during all of it in some other uniform. My thing.

9. ElginTheGreat

I get what you're saying here and I've long been aboard the "no one is untouchable" train if the right offer is made. We've been terrible for a while and I can accept any move that ends with us having two bona fide max players and a legitimate playoff team.

But my issue here is beyond fairness or fixation on particular guys. I just don't think this is a good look. And appearance matters when you're trying to attract big time guys to a team that has stunk for the last several seasons.

I also think we continue to lower the value of our guys on the trade market by being so blatant that we want to get rid of them.

So yeah, I'm just over a lot of this. We've been hearing Randle trade rumors since last season. Make a move or shelve this talk and work on it in the offseason.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    tada and abeer3 like this.
  10. vasashi17

BMJ: Again, if he did something in terms of titles for the Lakers franchise or even assisting in making the playoffs, then I would be able show more compassion, but the way Lakers fans did Pau (2 time champion) has already set the precedent for me. I can't sympathize for Randle, cause part of this is something he brought on himself. If he was a gym rat during his red shirt year, I'm thinking FO has much more leeway with him. But waiting till a contract year to get in the best shape of your life and wearing "pay me" shirts when you have been more part of the problem instead of the solution for our recent suckage...I'm sorry, I just can't feel bad for the guy.

ETG: You're as even-keeled as they come here at LB, so you getting frustrated says something. I'm totally with you on finding a resolution to all of this asap. In terms of his trade value, his own agent, Mintz, has had glowing remarks about Luke and how he's handled his client (during that whole Lavar riff raff). So again, I'm thinking LA is working on something behind the scenes that will at the very least help Randle out (see trading DLo to a BK market where dude can be about that life and still play ball). If the FO makes trades that also help the player out, that only helps our standing for potential FAs. Giving Randle a trade destination he likes, while making his agent happy only attracts free agents if you ask me.

ElginTheGreat and TIME like this.
  11. LTLakerFan

How can you be a gym rat and get in much condition at all rehabbing a broken leg?

tada and lakerjones like this.
  12. vasashi17

Sorry to sound so cold-blooded, but you gotta win us something first before I can sympathize with you.

A tibial stress fracture on average takes 6-8 weeks to heal and to gauge your pain management. After that it typically takes 3-4 weeks to recalibrate your gait (ie walking mechanics). After that, another 3-4 weeks to get back to running. That's for us normal folk without the luxuries of having advanced therapeutic equipment at our disposal.

His injury occurred during the 1st regular season game. NBA season lasts 6 months. Summer without a playoff berth lasts about 6 months. Jules had about 1 year to recoup and rehab.

Btw you can be a gym rat with an injury. #MambaMentality bruh

TIME and sirronstuff like this.
  13. LTLakerFan

You're choosing to paint this off season cynically as only contract year or getting cute for his wedding rather than large part of it certainly due to Magic opening all of their eyes with his edict and him stepping up to that challenge as well. Julius played ball all his life and at Div 1 effectively probably thinking he was working his a** off. And my feeling at the time was he was beginning to get into a groove and play well his "rookie" season in November when he got benched by Scott so it wouldn't look like he was only picking on Russell.

14. vasashi17

LT: I'm not blind to see that. Just like I'm sure Kob's farewell tour took a toll on some of our youth and their development. I understand it and I get it.

Yet, that is the same reason, Jules shouldn't demand the max and likewise we shouldn't relent in giving it to him. I want 2 max players, then turning our sights to retaining him. If we honestly don't see him as part of the future, then lets get a high value asset for him while we can. The fact that we've already seen DLo moved and that Randle is now on the market and the Lakers are actively trying to move him, tells me that Rob has some inssssight as to who is a keeper and who is not....

[​IMG]

I wouldn't mind holding onto Randle at a reasonable price, but for fans to sympathize for him...I just don't understand. Dude knows its a business, treated it like it was a business and has not warranted the max in the least. What we did to Pau was mistreatment...what we're doing to Randle is business.

Khmrp likes this.
  15. LTLakerFan

If he had gotten the playing time and the starts from the beginning of the season that it took a pissed off team meeting whatever was said in there to finally allow .... then no one here would be saying he's been unfairly jerked with and alienated for what he might or might not accept as a home town discount come contract time.

Plus his trade value would be higher now going into the deadline.

Khmrp likes this.
  16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

he played 20 minutes...we won. if he can't be happy about wins, ship him. ship him yesterday. i've got no time for that s***. he's not as good as he thinks he is.

17. LTLakerFan

Where is this he was pissed off coming from honest question? I usually don't watch post game interviews but did that one and saw him staring at random birds per his usual demeanor while answering questions.

18. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I like that he’s dunking a lot lately. Going in at full speed and absolutely throwing it down, he’s clearly in the best shape he’s ever been as a pro.

19. Big Mamma Jamma

Big Mamma Jamma - Rookie -

Vasashi, I’m more in your camp than you think. I’m not saying you should feel for the guy... all I’m saying that he is human and is prone to those feelings justified or not. So, I’m not dogging on him for feeling that way. He should! It’s better than the walking dead (Deng) who doesn’t give a crap.

20. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

yea agreed...its best for both sides, we dont need disgruntled players n randle doesnt need to play for a clueless coach

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.