Julius Randle Discussion: MIP

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jul 15, 2015.

1. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

When did i day he gets outplayed in big games?

2. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

Oh excuse me, you used the word “exposed.” You also explicitly said he “can’t outplay” guys with his mental lapses. Keep deflecting from the actual point though.

ZenMaster and therealdeal like this.
  3. Big Mamma Jamma

Big Mamma Jamma - Rookie -

Very tough crowd. Is Julius limited? Absolutely. Does he have flaws? Definitely, but who doesn't?

I'm pretty tough on these guys but the things I see with Randle are:

(1) that he doesn't have a jumper that really scares anyone (really no touch there either); and
    (2) that he has multiple brain farts every game.

But, the guy's motor is non-stop, he can defend positions 1-5, he works extremely hard and has been very professional although he has been attached to nearly every freakin' trade scenario involving the Lakers.

Personally, I love the guy. I think he is great for the team. I'm only guessing but I think the meeting the team had a little while back probably centered on the question of why Randle was on the bench! The guy is a gamer.

No guy is perfect. It's Luke's job to put Randle in the best situation to succeed. We have to remember the guy is only 23. We can't compare these guys to each other because they develop mentally at different rates. I've read that kids' brains don't mature until they hit the age of 25.

People can change as much as we say they can't. I've seen it. Randle has only been starting recently this season with new cast members with the ability to fit his evolving game with these guys. I would give him until the end of the season to judge him. If Luke keeps starting him, he is going to get better as the season progresses. You watch!

I personally hope the Lakers figure out a way to keep this guy. He is one of the good guys.

gcclaker, Kenzo, tada and 5 others like this.
  4. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I guess constructive criticism is not allowed here?

If it’s happening every game, it’s going to be called out. Just like Lonzo’s shooting was, just like Ingram’s aggressiveness, just like Kuz’s defense.

Tired of it? Then he needs to clean it up. Just like how Lonzo’s improving on his jumper, just like how BI is asserting himself as the primary scorer, just like how Kuz took on Luke’s challenge on defense.

Listen to Luke’s comments after the game, he wants Julius to learn, no one here is discounting Julius’ talent. I don’t think anybody has. There’s a difference between execution mistakes, and mental mistakes, especially the same ones that are being made in your 3rd season.

Everything else he does is very dynamic, and it’s defintiely something that contributes to our wins, no doubt.

The same offensive fouls, the same illegal screens, hands down on defense, playing in control. These are all simple fixes that most of us are expecting he should understand by now when a ref calls it, or when a player knocks a jumper in his face, or when Luke pulls him aside to correct him.

5. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Constructive criticism is always welcome here. I certainly wasn't singling anyone out. I just find it difficult to deal with that I'm in Game Time or here in the Randle thread after Julius puts up a big game, in this case 23 and 15 and most of the posts are negative. That's my own issue. Game Time frustration I can understand better because it's in the heat of the moment - this thread less so. Your posts are well reasoned lakerfan2.

I'm going to pretty much continue to defend Randle because I really enjoy having him on our team. I think people knee jerk react way too much to any mistakes he makes and many greatly undervalue what he is bringing when he's out there. This game is a case point for me so I called it out. Others have too now.

Kenzo, ZenMaster, tada and 2 others like this.
  6. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Captain brain fart

[​IMG]

:Pelinka QFT:

And still love him!

Big Mamma Jamma likes this.
  7. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'

Another game, another series of Randle clutch plays to go along with 23/15. Keep changing the FO opinion on whether or not to keep you.

8. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

9. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

This should make those that want to keep Randle happy. Apparently teams don’t want to give up assets for a rental. As I’ve stated repeatedly, despite complaining about his faults, if he can be kept for Clarkson money and we can add a star or stars I keep him. If he’s asking 15+ mil or max, I let him walk. I’m not for giving Randle big money and continuing to miss the playoffs year after year, only with now less money to work with going forward. If he can be kept as an awesome bench small ball 5, or relatively cheap starting 4 or 5 next to 2 stars, yeah, you keep him. Every team could USE guy like him, they just can’t RELY on a guy like him with big money.

10. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Randle is changing my mind to be honest. If he got us out from under Deng I probably do it, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to continue to let this team develop and just add PG-13.

11. LTLakerFan

Gotta admit .... brain farts and all .... I would feel elated to see them land PG and keep Randle to continue to watch him get better and better and divide up what's left of LBJ's money among another 2 or 3 great pieces to complement that mix and give us incredible depth. What a freaking core. That's all young and ready to start kicking some a** immediately. By year two .... look the hell out. So close to just saying f*** LeBron again seriously. But then I have to deal with changing my signature again.

[​IMG]

sirronstuff and ZenMaster like this.
  12. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I liked your post because I like the video, but I guess we can agree to disagree on Randle's value. I think Randle can become what Draymond is to GSW or very close to that player. I see his floor as an above average starter (what he is now imo) and his ceiling as an allstar. Therefore I think his value is in the $18-20M range.

13. sirronstuff

If we paid KCP 18 mil, I'm pretty sure Julius will find takers in that range if teams have cap room.

LTLakerFan and Big Mamma Jamma like this.
  14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

one year deal. i'd give randle a one year deal at that amount, too. if the lakers strike out in FA, they should find a way to use all that space to make a balloon payment to randle in year one on a longer-term deal (like okc did with collison back in the day). i think those are still legal.

that hinges on getting answers from FAs quickly and randle not getting an early RFA offer, though.

lakerjones likes this.
  15. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

Only a few teams have cap space this summer, which bodes well for the Lakers, and not necessarily for Julius. But I think the Mavs will find a way to get him and bring him back home to be with his mother.

16. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/180114-julius-randle-dallas#

[​IMG]
    Julius Randle shoots against the Dallas Mavericks on Jan. 13, 2018.
    (Ty Nowell/Lakers.com)
    Julius Randle's Monster Overtime Performance

[​IMG]
    by Joey Ramirez
    Digital Reporter
    Posted: Jan 14, 2018
    When Julius Randle is playing at his peak capabilities, he’s a problem for just about every team in the league.

Describes as a “genetic giant” by assistant coach Jesse Mermuys (who works closely with Randle), the fourth-year big man shifted into his highest gear in Saturday’s win over Dallas.

Back in his hometown with his mom sitting courtside, Randle racked up 23 points and 15 rebounds, guiding the Lakers to their fourth straight win. He was particularly dominant in overtime, providing key plays on both sides of the floor.

The Lakers hit five shots in OT, and Randle was prominently involved in four of them.

L.A. began the extra period by springing a red-hot Jordan Clarkson open for 3-pointer, and Randle was the one who made the play work by sticking Wesley Matthews on a solid screen.

[​IMG]
    The Lakers led by one a couple minutes later, and Clarkson found himself hounded by defensive pressure, leaving him to give Randle the ball with the shot clock nearing zero.

Randle went to work overpowering Harrison Barnes to get into the paint, and then exited his comfort zone for an unexpected baseline turnaround.

[​IMG]
    When the Mavericks answered Randle’s bucket, the Lakers went back to having the big man screen for Clarkson.

This time he was able to hit Matthews with an even more brutal screen, allowing Clarkson to take advantage of center Dwight Powell for the step-back jumper.

[​IMG]
    Randle was then called upon on the defensive end.

Barnes had forced overtime by scoring on Randle at the end of regulation, but it was time for Julius’ revenge.

The Mavs’ shot clock was winding down when Barnes — Dallas’ leading scorer — tried to drive on No. 30 to no avail. Randle used his quick feet to slide with Barnes and his strength to prevent his drive.

With little time left, Barnes settled on a fadeaway that missed the rim, sounding the 24-second buzzer.

[​IMG]
    A little while later, the Lakers’ lead had been cut to three with about 30 seconds left. Looking to make it a two-possession game, L.A. had Randle set a screen for Lonzo Ball, drawing a favorable switch.

Powell was left guarding Ball at the top of the arc, while Randle set up on the baseline covered by point guard Dennis Smith Jr.

Ball put a crossover on Powell but couldn’t get his layup to fall. Fortunately for the Lakers, Randle had already tossed aside the 6-foot-3 rookie who was trying to box him out.

Knowing the shot clock was close to expiring, Randle grabbed the board and immediately went up for the clutch put-back.

[​IMG]
    And then he helped seal the win on the defensive side. Dallas coach Rick Carlisle drew up a nice play to free Yogi Ferrell (a 40.6 percent 3-point shooter).

Barnes set a screen on Ball, forcing Randle to switch onto Ferrell. Then Powell faked a drive and pitched it to Ferrell, while Randle scrambled around him.

Randle saw the pitch coming and was able to leap out for a good contest, icing a fourth straight win for the purple and gold.

The big guy wasn’t perfect. He had seven turnovers, five fouls and a muffed attempt at a game-winner in regulation. But he was just what the Lakers needed in overtime.

[​IMG]

LTLakerFan, abeer3 and tada like this.
  17. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

That's 6 consecutive clutch plays to seal the game. :cool:

LTLakerFan, abeer3 and sirronstuff like this.
  18. sirronstuff

I think it's fair to say that if we don't show him the love, that someone will.

He's making an interesting case on if he'll be worth it or not. Our best ally may be the lack of teams with cap space actually. I would definitely hold onto the ability to match in his case vs trade him this year. I can't see us getting back what we need unless he can somehow help us dump Deng.

LTLakerFan and lakerjones like this.
  19. LTLakerFan

I only saw the last part of the game yesterday. Why did Randle have just over 20 minutes only? Was he brain farting again or anything else to put him on the bench in the 4th quarter?

20. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'

Randle fans waking up this morning reading this....

D5CD209E-378C-49FF-9B8B-548D7875CDE2.jpeg