Julius Randle Discussion: MIP

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jul 15, 2015.

1. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

Post Game interview

tada likes this.
  2. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

There is a lot more.

therealdeal and tada like this.
  3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I thought his body language was a hundred times better @abeer3 , but he's definitely showing a disturbing amount of pout. He gets frustrated and doesn't channel it the right way. That's going to be on Kobe to get that emotion pointed in the right direction. It's a common problem with young kids.

Last night if Julius didn't do a complete 180 in the way he played he was at probably a 176 or so. He played really well. There's small detail things he needs to focus on, but his offense was brilliant. His passing was good. I thought his defensive effort was much much better. He still needs to work on his off-hand finishes in the lane, he needs to focus on boxing out defensively, and he needs to move better off-the-ball offensively as well.

Still what an encouraging game from him. Great turn around. THAT looked like a potential starting caliber player in the NBA, not the weird bull we saw for the first few games.

Chillbongo likes this.
  4. Tragic

Tragic - Rookie -

ClubLakers class of '04
    I like Julius game when he incorporates the mid-range shot more. He's so skilled at getting to the basket and is pretty damn strong. He looked like a beast last game.

5. bonk

bonk - Rookie -

Quantitative Analyst
    Lets see him do this (show improvement) for a series of a few games. I've always thought he will struggle with his "go to" driving approach at this level and that facing up would be much better for him as a first thought. We will see but one game out of 3 in summer league is one thing. What he does in the regular season will be another. PF competition in the West isn't exactly at the same level as summer league.

I think he needs to be a second to last option to start the season if he indeed starts. Judging from his frustrations he needs to be viewed as a spot contributor offensively until he adjusts and learns. Putting too much on him too early would appear to be a real risk with him.

I'd like to see the effort he puts into his drives to the hoop put into defensive rebounding and overall defense. I think this is where he can have the largest impact in the first half of the season. It's surprising to me that he isn't rebounding that well. He didn't rebound up to his college numbers last year in SL and PS either.

6. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    He missed a bunch of bunnies but he did put himself in a position to do damage.

This is summer league though. Nobody cares. I just want the young guys to develop some chemistry and get in shape for the season. Then they will get their butt kicked but thats OK too, because thats what it takes for vicious workouts. You need to fail first before you can succeed.

Barnstable likes this.
  7. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

8. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

Anxious to see if he continues/builds off of last game.

9. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

...and he will.

10. RasAlgethi

RasAlgethi Moderator Staff Member

He's got to work on his defense and rebounding. He's virtually invisible if he doesnt' have the ball.

bonk likes this.
  11. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

12. LaVarBallsDad

13. Chillbongo

Chillbongo - Lakers 6th Man -

Summary of how he looked today?

14. RasAlgethi

RasAlgethi Moderator Staff Member

He looked ok today. Scored the ball but didnt do much else. He doesnt' rebound, defend, set screens, really nothing. He just runs around until he gets the ball.

bonk and Chillbongo like this.
  15. Chillbongo

Chillbongo - Lakers 6th Man -

I don't remember what he did at Kentucky anymore. Was he this negligent on D and the boards?

I feel like this has been a consistent observation so far, curious to know if it dates back to Kentucky.

16. LaVarBallsDad

Julius Randle's situational statistics are probably a little bit different than most would expect. While 20.9% of his offense coming from post-ups is far from an insignificant amount, it ranks as only average in this group, as does the 0.79 points per possession he generated in these instances. While a little bit of improvement in Kentucky's floor spacing could have opened up the paint a little bit more for Randle and helped improve this number some, further refinement of his skills and becoming more comfortable using his right hand will be needed in the future as well. The 39.3% he shot on post-up opportunities was well below average among power forwards we looked at, although the overall efficiency was buoyed by his ability to draw contact and get to the line, as he drew shooting fouls on 26.2% of his post-up possessions, one of the better rates among this group.

Where Randle was most dominant was on the offensive glass. The 2.4 possessions per game Randle generated off of put back attempts was the second best in this group among players that we currently project to be drafted, only slightly behind Khem Birch's 2.7 possessions per game, and the 1.21 points per possession Randle scored off of these created opportunities was the third best in the group. Randle's high volume and efficiency in put back situations resulted in 114 points for the Wildcats last season, one of the top marks in the entire country among all players, prospect or not.

Another area where Randle showed potential was as an isolation threat, as the only collegiate prospect among this group who used more possessions per game in isolation situations than Randle was Dwight Powell. While his efficiency wasn't all that great at 0.76 points per possession -- hurt somewhat by turnovers, predictability due to an unrefined right hand, and by not being much of a threat shooting away from the basket -- should Randle improve in any or all of these areas, he will have a quickness advantage against most of his defenders at the next level, and could really expand this part of his game.

Jump shooting is another area of his game that stands out, as he shot only 17.3% on jump shots logged by Synergy, with the 0.40 points per possession he scored on those attempts being the lowest mark in this power forward class. He didn't attempt very many at only 1.3 shots per game, but him being a complete lack of a threat outside of the paint is something that is currently holding his game back. His free throw shooting (70.6% on 289 attempts) gives some optimism for the future, but that didn't translate in live ball situations last year at Kentucky.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz3gCov4JQL
    http://www.draftexpress.com

trodgers and Chillbongo like this.
  17. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

He is looking better. He was never a good defender, but he was a very good rebounder. I don't know what's up with that. He can't allow D'Angelo to out-rebound him almost every single time. That's not right.

Had some grown man moves today on offense though. Brutal.

therealdeal likes this.
  18. bonk

bonk - Rookie -

Quantitative Analyst
    At least he's running around now. The first couple games he just stood there until he got the ball.

He's missing a whole lot of the game. Not areas that are quantified by stats but just about all the stuff between.

He is a guy who could really benefit from a motion offense.

19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

he's still giving up on plays before they're over, which is strange considering his general ferocity. it's like he needs a refractory period after any burst or something.

I also wonder why he doesn't flash to the low/mid post more often. he's so strong; he could cause havoc on duck ins, but he insists on catching the ball 20 feet from the basket and then immediately putting it on the floor. I'm sure coaches have been in his ear about this forever.

therealdeal likes this.
  20. southbaylakers72

southbaylakers72 - Rookie -

Worried about injury?

tada likes this.