Julius Randle Discussion: MIP

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jul 15, 2015.

1. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

As big as a fan I am of Randle, he should chase the big money.

Randle broke his leg in his first game as a pro and got a taste of how quickly fortunes can change in life. He's fully aware that nothing is guaranteed as a pro athlete. This could be the last contract he ever signs. He shouldn't hesitate to sign a huge offer sheet if presented with one. He's earned the big contract and owes the Lakers nothing.

That said, I'm hoping he'll sign back for $18-20M for 4 years.

2. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

@tada Dude... we are like this:

[​IMG]

3. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

Yup. This was my point that players coming off their rookie contracts have one main priority and it is to get paid. Randle is an even bigger example because of what you noted regarding his injury. He's put in the work. He's produced. Now it's time to reap the benefits.

4. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    We can only go off of what he has said whether its true or not and he hasn't mentioned money once as reason to sign with a team. This doesn't mean he its not important to him or that he'll play for anything. Its just not a priority.

The two biggest things he has said in more than one interview now is that he wants: 1) there to be chemistry wherever he lands and 2) a chance to win, be on a contending team.

I feel confident we check the box with the chemistry part and if things go to plan like we want them to the contender box should be good too.

sirronstuff and Lakeshow85 like this.
  5. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

He's saying/doing all the right things. But let's be real, $ is a priority. It doesn't need to be made public. Sure, it'd be great if as a young kid coming off a rookie contract he had the type of maturity to have chemistry/contention as his main reasons for signing but I'll believe it when I see it that he doesn't just end up signing the highest offer sheet out there and then putting the onus on the Lakers to match or not.

Khmrp likes this.
  6. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    You're probably right and maybe I shouldn't take what he says so literally. I know better than that too after following the NBA as closely as I have. It's likely just wishful thinking on my part. My contention again and I'm beating a dead horse here is that I'm hoping, we're all hoping he gives the Lakers some time before immediately signing an offer sheet.

I fear that Mintz isn't messing around and he and Randle will do just that starting the clock between losing Randle for nothing while we wait on PG and LBJ decision or matching the offer and letting the chips fall where they may.

July 1st can't come soon enough

Barnstable, Lakeshow85 and EddieEddie like this.
  7. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

I have the same hope and the same fear. Ultimately I think a team (or teams) that offers Randle an offer sheet will say he needs to make a decision right away because they won't want their cap space tied up in a waiting game while other FA options drop off. Especially if the purpose of his waiting game is to try and just stay on the Lakers. Granted Randle could gamble that a team like Dallas ends up striking out on all other options and just circles back to him later on but is that a gamble he and Mintz want to take? I'm cynical enough where my prediction has long been he just signs a big offer sheet right away. I'd love to be proven wrong. I absolutely want to keep him - if the price isn't ludicrous.

Lakeshow85 and Battle Tested20 like this.
  8. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

No but you also never address so much of what is said by others outside the World According to OX as well as those others of us not giving a s*** whether you are convinced or skeptical of Randle's commitment or not. It's pretty clear to us by now this is going forward who he's going to be, and he has a young son to impress every year as he grows up and becomes aware.

PLUS you won't acknowledge the hypocrisy of crying all year long like a macho ex football jock about how none of our players have that toughness you want to go out there every night, but feel anything above $12,000 is a massive over payment for what Julius brings us. And you never admit because of your skepticism that he's going to be an improved and more beastly player every year leading up to the start of his prime years 4 freaking years from now. We all would love to have Randle back at your arbitrary, unrealistic salary cap and the reasons are fine economically. But to have to keep listening to you trash his value and the things that you say about him because .... well you're OX, with no defense to the points we make gets ... annoying as f***.

wallangong and ZenMaster like this.
  9. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    To answer your question LT I got no dog or should I say bull in this fight lol.

I'm just having fun with the of y'all.

Long story short ox doesn't wanna gamble, thinks only if value is good which is say 12 mill or so. I think ive said before 15 is fair especially if Randle/you think he deserves 18...which nobody here is wrong, I'm pretty much meeting y'all down the middle :)

10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

sure it's been discussed...but...man, good job FO on failing to meet randle's 12 per extension desires last summer...cuz lebron or somethin'

tada and LTLakerFan like this.
  11. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

4 year career:

0 All Stars
    0 All-NBA Teams
    0 All-NBA Defense Teams
    0 Awards
    0 Playoff games

The world according to results.......I win this argument no matter how much you scream. Those stats, since y'all love stats, are my burden of proof.

12. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Steph Curry first four years:

0 All Stars
    0 All-NBA teams
    0 A--NbA Defensive Teams
    1 All-Rookie Team
    0 Playoffs games

Big difference.

13. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

There you go. Criteria according to OX. No dude. Those are your criteria for saying he's "not fairly business worth" to the Lakers for more than $10,000. Own it. But that's bull bleep. It's your opinion. You're not the boss of me. :clap:

No one here is asking for him to get max money. Am saying having you say ridiculous quotes like that while not addressing any good other points from anyone is what sucks the proverbial big one with much of your posting on Randle.

14. OX1947

Oh, I'll gamble. If its for prime time players.

15. OX1947

Very good. Here is the contract that he got for that.....

2013-14 [​IMG] $9,887,642
    2014-15 [​IMG] $10,629,213
    2015-16 [​IMG] $11,370,786
    2016-17 [​IMG] $12,112,359

16. therealdeal

The Cap back then was around 57 million so Curry was getting about 17% of the cap on average.

So Julius's starting salary should be 17-18 million.

Please keep playing. This is too easy.

17. OX1947

More stats. Good work. Julius is a $10-$12/year player NOW. And luckily word around Lakerland, Magic and Rob think so too. So, yaaaaa.

18. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

There’s no way I give Randle $20 million per year for 4 years, but I do give him $15-$16 mil per. That’s a fair compromise I think. A decent amount for him, and still a moveable contract for us if it’s doesn’t work out and we want to move on.

Barnstable likes this.
  19. therealdeal

You don't seem to understand what a stat is. Just take your L man. You determined what Julius was worth and using your salary, its 17-18 million.

You played yourself. Take the L and I'll see you next time.

20. therealdeal

Just out of curiosity, let's say George and Lebron take a week to work out what they want. Dallas offers Julius a starting salary of 18 million on day one.

Do you let him walk without knowing whether George or LeBron will sign?