Julius Randle Discussion: MIP

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jul 15, 2015.

1. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    Randle is instinctively a ball stopper, that doesn't fit with GS IMO. He isn't pass first and he likes to put the ball on the floor before passing the ball and that's not a good fit. Randle works best with a team where he can handle the ball quite a bit and be a go-to option because he scores at a very efficient rate. With Durant and Curry he won't get enough touches offensively to stay happy.

Green has been awful at shooting but his biggest plus points are

a) he plays defense without requiring touches on offense. His D is self-motivated and his level of engagement is not related to the amount of touches. This is extremely rare among all-star players and usually only reserved for players who suck on offense and try to make a living on D (Ball, Beverley, Sefolosha, Roberson etc.).

And the other plus point is that he doesn't look to shoot first. He gets the ball and instinctively looks to move it. These 2 factors have made him an all-star in the GS system.

sirronstuff likes this.
  2. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I'm not debating who's a better player or fit. It's a matter of how much Draymond will demand from the Warriors. His goal is to win DPOY to be eligible for the super max. If you ask me $40M for Draymond or $15M for Randle, you know who I'm going with.

And the Warriors could use a player that beasts in the paint. Not to mention Randle is a great passer and rebounder. He's a viable replacement is all I'm saying.

3. KB24

Certified Tax Advisor
    Yes Green is not worth 40m a year. He is not even worth 30m a year.

Imo he is in the 20-25 Mio range. His offense has been terrible this year.

4. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    I can't see another team offering him that kind of dough, but I've been wrong before.

abeer3, LTLakerFan and Cookie like this.
  5. KB24

Certified Tax Advisor
    If it weakens GS, I'm all for it.

LTLakerFan, Cookie and Juronimo like this.
  6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

outside of gs's unique roster construction, i'm not entirely sure that green is even a 20m per player. that's usually reserved for 2nd stars--put him as the clear second-best player on a team with say...john wall or jimmy butler as the big dog...how good is that team? how badly do they want to upgrade draymond green?

his contract situation will be interesting, as i don't think the big offers are going to come in, so there will be some nastiness while gs tries to explain his actual value while his agent tries for the max. the gulf between those two numbers is substantial. and if gs is coming off a non-title, i could see them digging in there. their lux tax situation may also complicate s&ts--though some of that will depend on what happens with klay and durant.

in any case, i'll be surprised if green's contract situation is resolved cleanly.

i don't want him, fwiw. if that's the use of our max slot, heads should roll.

edit: just realized he's not up yet, so some of the above isn't applicable. still, though...

7. KB24

Certified Tax Advisor
    ^in a perfect world I agree with you that he isn't worth even 20 million.

But looking around the NBA and some of the contracts thrown around...AND taking into consideration that most teams have cap space and can compete, I can easily see him getting 20 mio. a year. All it takes is one desperate team that doesn't want to strike out on a superstar and gets the safe bet by giving him the money.

If Mozgov can get 16 mio... and if B. Byombo can get that kind of dough, I don't rule out the possibility. Even a guy like Evan Turner gets 17 per. All those terrible contracts are coming to an end...and when all teams have cap space...a new round of terrible contracts are due.

8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

We'll see. The lack of an amnesty clause in the last CBA might have finally chastened the worst offenders.

9. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    I really want to sign him. I’d throw 12-13 a year for at least 3-4 years. I knew it was bad when they let him go, I knew it was a terrible move

Khmrp and tada like this.
  10. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

You’d have to think this is the year where he finds a team to pay him the big bucks.

11. Big Mamma Jamma

Big Mamma Jamma - Rookie -

I hope so because he's a good kid and consummate professional. He's worked his tail end off with the limitations that he has. He's improved and I hope that he continues to do so. I like him.

12. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    538 data...

Randle's value was $55.9 (Five-year) coming into this last season. It's now up to $88.0 over the next five. Nice pick up for the dude. Three years, $62m looks solid.

tada and sirronstuff like this.
  13. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

BUMP from the dead but he's been killing it this season, 22/11/7. Yeah half of the Knicks' roster is injured and he might not survive Thibs playing him heavy mins but he's been great for my fantasy team

14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

they're also not playing terrible! thibs has his ideal late 90s roster with barrett and randle!

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  15. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

He's killing it and it's great for the league to have a Knicks team be relevant.

But...

The kids might be able to handle it because they're young, but he's still treating his players like a running back in their rookie contract. Run them into the ground and then replace them when you've used up an the tread.

16. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Another impressive line

17. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

If he can survive Thib's rotations, Knicks might make some noise. Mitchell Robinson, RJ Barret and Elfrid Payton have all taken turns having good games to go along with Randle

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and abeer3 like this.
  18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

really surprised teams haven't just sat all five defenders in the paint and won by 20 each night.

19. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    that's where Zo needs to go if he wants to play 40+ minutes lol

20. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Hate when I see takes from NBA journalists “WhO kNeW RaNdLe CoUlD pLaY lIkE tHiS?”

We did. We told everyone for years about the potential our former draft picks had, and the haters just ignored us and called us delusional.

Randle was inconsistent his first few years, but he was great in his last season with us. Once we got Lebron, it made sense to let him leave for a bigger role but this wasn’t a slight on Randle’s ability or potential. He has always had the potential to be a walking triple double. People just need to be more patient. Young players often take a few years and the right fit to grow into their own.