Julius Randle Discussion: MIP

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jul 15, 2015.

1. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    What! Dude kuz's ceiling is looking f***ing awesome. No way you lose him unless that's your only way of truly getting Leonard imo.

2. puffyusaf#2

puffyusaf#2 - Lakers Starter -

Author of "Just a Thought"
    Seeing the chatter on Jules in here figure I'd add my 2 cents.

Jules would fit well in most systems because he is not only a bruiser but a pretty skilled one. Yes, his game could use refinement to go with the brute force. I once compared him to Zack Randolph in a game day thread. Players like Bron need that type of guy. Yes, Bron is a beast but he isn't a physical dude. Jules gets the dirty work done, isn't afraid to mix it up and goes to battle. If Lebron comes he doesn't need a great passer he needs guys who can hit some shots from the outside (ok, not jules strong suit) and can get dirty. Even without Bron I think the Lakers would be foolish to let Jules go. Every team needs a "lunch pale" guy.

3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I'd be very surprised if the Lakers moved Kuzma for anyone not named Anthony Davis or Kawhi Leonard.

4. therealdeal

I don't disagree about Randle filling some good areas, but if he's not a vertical or floor spacer, he just isnt a great fit. Not a bad fit mind you because of his defensive versatility, just not a great fit.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  5. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    Real I'm guessing your thinking is you don't think Randle is a good scheme fit cause Lebron and PG attacking the paint?..

Just thinking with our pace Randle could fit in just fine with others but I understand where you're coming from.

6. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    We shall see, I know I'm in the monitory here but I actually expect Randle to become a better player than Kuz

tada likes this.
  7. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    I don't think the list is as short as that but agree that it is short. I didn't say I expect Kuzma to be traded, just that IMO it is more likely than letting Randle go

8. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

But there has to be great offer for Magic/Rob to move Kuzma. Meaning a big name who wants to be moved and we would have to tie some picks to it. Letting Randle go may be necessary just to get 2 FAs done. Considering the additional possibility of some team throwing big-time paper Jule's way, to me it looks far more likely that Randle goes and Kyle with his team-friendly contract, enormous potential and great chemistry stay. Keeping Randle and 2 FA's means dumping Deng and realistically a core youth like Kuzma and 2 first round picks to try and get a team to bite on Deng. Forget about talk about Zu and or Thomas and picks for Deng. It's wonderful wishful thinking but pipe. Larry Coon himself has said it will take one of our core + a couple first round picks to have a chance of offing Deng.

Or we can sign say, PG or LBJ (one of) only (most likely PG in that case as LBJ will want company) and resign Randle and all the youth remain. We would be a good team. Depending on advancement, maybe a damn good team but not a contender yet. But who knows whats' gonna happen. There are so many scenarios out there, maybe Boogie takes a short term 1+1 with opt out low pay deal from us so we can sign him, Randle and a FA and keep Boogie's bird rights. Just one of many scenarios that could happen. Depends what players want to do and where they want to go.

9. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

My thinking remains something like, if Tristan Thompson can fit next to LeBron and look like he did a few years ago when he got his big deal, then Randle can look amazing next to him, because honestly, Thompson kinda sucks.

10. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    Part of the reason Tristan and Smith got paid was cause it allowed them to go over the cap no?

11. Weezy

No clue on JR, but I remember Thompson getting paid because his agent LeBron..er Rich Paul wanted him to.

Edit: JR Smith also left his agency and signed with Rich Paul the summer he got PAID. So yes, those contracts are because LeBron wanted them there.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and Cookie like this.
  12. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Tristan was Khloed though to be fair. No one survives that unscathed.

13. Weezy

Actually I think it was more like the Cavs got Jerome James’d.

Savory Griddles and Juronimo like this.
  14. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    Remember kinda getting Luke Walton'd at one point lolz.

Khmrp likes this.
  15. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    Knowing how much power PG and Lebron will have if they come here (Granted they want Julius here), if I’m Magic/Rob I’m talking to Julius about accepting his QO for 5.5 million for next season. Then give him an extra 10 million on his next contract to essentially pay him 15.5 million for the upcoming season for his sacrifice to open up space.

I just don’t want to lose Julius in this so I’m desperate.

16. therealdeal

Tristan was willing to just be the dirty work guy and he fit that role well. If that's what we reduce Julius to, isn't that a little overkill? Shouldn't we get a guy more suited to just being the rebounder and defender guy? I mean if Julius is down to be just that guy, then Doc is right: take the QO and let us use more money elsewhere. Pay him on the back end.

17. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

This is why I'm still in favor of resigning Randle and trying to keep Lopez with the room exception if he's good with that. You can start Lopez for floor spacing and some rim protection, then bring in Randle for the uptempo small ball switching and physical play. That's what I've been talking about that Randle plus Lopez >>> Deandre Jordan. You have more versatility, a cheaper price, and a better all around fit with those two.

All of this is predicated of course on us moving Deng and Lopez being willing to take the room exception (I think he would to play with us on a contender). I think in time Randle will develop a better jumper. It's gotten a little more natural for him but he will have to continue to work on it and actually use it in game. If he can learn to become a decent mid-range shooter like Biff or Ibaka, I think that's the goal. No, he's never going to be Steph Curry, we get that. But if he can get a working outside shot that we can depend on in the near future it would be great. Personally I think he can.

18. therealdeal

I'd like this to be the case. I'm just preparing myself for other eventualities. If George/LeBron are cool with Julius being the "3rd guy" then I'm all for it. I've loved the Brook/Randle idea from day one.

However, what death lineup would these guys prefer? That's really what it comes down to.

Lonzo/George/Ingram/LeBron/Randle

or

Lonzo/George/Ingram/Kuzma/LeBron?

19. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Perfect fit, maybe not. But there is only a handful of guys who have the ability and potential to switch onto guys 1-5 with decent success. Randle is one of those players and will only get better at this in his young career.

We'll need that kind of versatility at the PF and Center position for decades regardless of how many great SGs or SFs we have if we want any shot of winning.

I'm not comparing Randle to Draymond in terms of effectiveness and ability but when you think of the GSW long term success recently Curry and KD are definitely their best players. But they'll be the first to say that Draymond and what he's able to do on defense at those PF/C positions is the most important part of that tandem for long term success.

We hope Randle has that say impact without ever being the best player on the team and he's on his way IMO. Still a ways to go but the glimpses are there.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  20. therealdeal

I hope you're right and I hope LeBron and George agree.