Julius Randle Discussion: Beast, Ox, Monster, Lotus Flower

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DjBelvedere, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonk

bonk - Rookie -

Quantitative Analyst
    Yup. What you describe is what I'm talking about when I say "feel". A lot of guys with advanced physical tools never develop what others do in terms of the nuances of playing the game through their head first.

Expectations are so high for him in Laker land it could be a really tough time for him. For instance Nance is similarly gifted physically and when he shows a lack of feel it's OK because his role is different. I actually see more in Nance that I do in Randle right now. He flowed to the open area on the floor and moved to gaps in the defense. When Randle is off the ball he just stands there or move into his man and waits for the ball to rotate and then pushes off with a hand in the air. 3 or 4 times tonight his man turned his head away when he was on the offside and he just stood there. For any of you that have played the game competitively you know that if your man turns his head you move away from him to open space.

I think he can learn this stuff to a certain degree at this level and I also believe he will be better than what we are seeing right now but to have the expectations he does and learning basics in the Pros is going to be really hard.

abeer3 likes this.
  2. unpossibl1

unpossibl1 - Rookie -

No question Randle didn't look great, but also remember he has played 2 games total in the last 8 months or so. If anything I'm encouraged by the adjustment that Randle made at halftime. In the first half he was solely focused on attacking the basket whenever he got the ball, regardless of whether or not that was the correct play at the time. In the second half he started kicking the ball out and getting guys open looks, which consequently made it so that the Knicks couldn't pack the lane against him.

Yeah, we still need to see his jumper improve, his rebounding, ball handling, etc. But his performance tonight was not all negative, especially when we consider where he is at in terms of his recovery.

3. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

He showed really good defense a couple of times too. I'm only taking the positives from these SL games, and I refuse to piss on a recovering player.

4. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

Knowing randles personality and drive to be great, he'll improve, he just needs experience and mentorship. I rather they suck now and experiment now then during reg season. It'll all be good in da hood!

tada likes this.
  5. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Lotus Flower wilted

6. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

7. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Don't get too down on yourself Julius, you'll get there!

lakerjones likes this.
  8. kdctran

kdctran - Rookie -

Glad to hear he knows what he needs to work on, especially rebounding, defending; he was embarrassing at times today. Get your rhythm back soon Julius!

JSM and tada like this.
  9. FreeThePeople

FreeThePeople - Rookie -

that interview was very encouraging. i was frustrated until i watched that. also, i lol'ed when he aggressively pulled his ear.

tada likes this.
  10. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    I think the games are more telling of how long its gonna take. I think he will be fine. By mid season I think most people on here will be happy. I still think
    it might do him good to come off the bench his first year.

tada likes this.
  11. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Yeah, we will have to see how he looks in the preseason games. But as of right now, Bass will probably be starting.

12. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    gel = for hair
    jell= to come together nicely as a team

It's not interchangeable. Sorry to be that guy.

13. The Rock

The Rock - Lakers Starter -

Randle will be fine.

lakerjones likes this.
  14. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

a
    I completely agree, anyone that has played basketball for many years knows how awkward it is coming back from a major injury. Combine that with being young and still developing skills it is easy to see why he would be lacking confidence. Randle gets his confidence back and we will start seeing the real deal. He isn't playing as well as last year yet. Dont think he just forgot how to play. Time and patience.

tada likes this.
  15. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    Randle is practically a rookie.

What I'm disappointed about is the way he plays right now. He didn't play for a year but that gave him enough time to watch film and see whats going on. I had expected better feel for the game but it seems like he gets the ball and has no frickin idea what to do with it right now. He would bump people with his shoulder (offensive foul waiting to happen) and all he does is put his head down and try to get past his man with brute power and speed.

He needs to first...keep his head UP and see the floor when dribbling. He also needs to have more variety. Step back jumper, post ups, cross overs etc. He needs a frickin offhand, which is also Russells culprit. With only one hand you are not going to be great in this league. Odom had a gigantic wingspan and incredible length, thats why he got away with it. But even Odom was never a 20ppg player. If Randle cannot develop an offhand, he will struggle because defenses are not dumb. Coaches will design plays to force him right and make him useless.

JSM, Chillbongo and abeer3 like this.
  16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

ginobili and harden would like a word, but in general, I agree with you. honestly, of all the guys on the summer league, the only one who doesn't need A LOT of work on their off hand is black. Russell, randle, and even Clarkson showed difficulty finishing or even being a threat going the other way.

bonk's point about randle's lack of off-ball work is spot-on. so many good opportunities for a strong guy like him to get easy buckets by cutting, and he only knows the one-step v-cut to receive the ball too far from the basket to be a triple threat.

it's sort of amazing that he continually gets to the basket despite guys playing literally 10 feet off of him. he really is a physical marvel in that regard. I'm just wondering where that midrange jumper is to help set up cleaner drives. he had started to get it down when I last saw him, and the practice reports said he could hit it. but he's barely shot it, and when he has, it's been bad.

Chillbongo and ElginTheGreat like this.
  17. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Off the roll at Kentucky, he was scoring 1.2 ppp; meaning, he wasn't bad at all in that regard. He also can't set a screen to save his life. He doesn't box out properly. He's lazy at various times. He doesn't stay engaged with playing defense at all times. List can go on and on; what I do know is he gets where he wants on the floor, he needs to take that mid-range more often to setup his drives, and Madsen or whomever on the coaching staff needs to teach him how to set a proper screen, and designing play that get him rolling to the hoop.

18. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Agreed completely. Randle has gotten off to slow starts and I think he's pressing way too hard. He's trying to show off this fantastic strength and he needs to just re-calibrate. He needs to get the ball at the elbow and clear out for him. Give him a chance to drive and kick. He was doing a pretty good job of it late in the game.

Another problem is Clarkson and Russell have been unable to find ways to get him going. It's either they're controlling tempo and handling the ball, or they give it to Randle and stand in the corner and watch. How about you guys get in motion and move some more? How about encouraging Julius to cut more and move without the ball better? The offense just looks absolutely lost. I saw some good things defensively too although the effort is far too inconsistent.

They're not coming together well as a team and I'm not sure how to change that in Summer League. Chemistry meter is at a zero right now.

JSM and tada like this.
  19. pop pop

pop pop - Rookie -

I think he still needs to work on his handles though. He loses control of the ball way too many times. Besides that, he will be fine.

20. Chillbongo

Chillbongo - Lakers 6th Man -

How much of this is due to the offense we're running? I mean I have never seen a less dynamic, more predictable offense. :speechless:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.