Julius Randle Discussion: MIP

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jul 15, 2015.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Does the univ. know you throw the f word around on the internet? trodgers too. With women here. So much for shining beacon of higher learning being something to aspire to.

:Laugh:

Love it!

:Headbang:

trodgers likes this.
  2. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    I think most colleges and universities are cool with the F bomb. Lots of professors use it in class (I don't). But remember that this site censors that f***ing stuff. ;)

BTW, I wouldn't censor myself because of the mere presence of women. They can drop 'em, too.

abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  3. LTLakerFan

"mere" presence of women. Where's Cookie or JazzyGirl? Well this one gets it. Hopefully they're not offended.

[​IMG]

4. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    chivalry is dead,

LTLakerFan likes this.
  5. LTLakerFan

See there you go. In the courtroom too. Gotta love LB being up on the times and in touch. So much fun!!

:Headbang:

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  6. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
  7. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

Fish had some pretty stern words for Julius during the postgame show. Geeter asked Fish what Randle needed to improve on. Fish pointed his index finger at his own head, then said that Randle's issues are mental. He said Randle could be an elite player in this league if he gets his head on straight and concentrates on his mental approach, especially on defense. This stern statement reminded me a few months back before the all-star break when Fish said that players that don't want to be on this team should report to Mitch or Jim and ask for a trade. Worthy basically told Geeter that he agrees with everything Fish said. This was a bit surprising since Worthy worked out with Randle 1 on 1 when Boron was here, so Worthy got to know Julius up close and personal. If he's agreeing with Fish' strong stance, then it sounds like Randle may be on a very short leash. There's a fine line between keeping a player around long enough for them to fulfill their potential, and trading them before their "potential" value is gone and nobody will take them. Julius seems to be straddling that line quite a bit.

Weezy, lakerjones, gcclaker and 4 others like this.
  8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i don't use the f word in class, but most others happen regularly. particularly "s***" and "dammit".

because i f*** up a lot.

sirronstuff and trodgers like this.
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

been my issue for a while. randle's problems are between the ears, primarily. at some point, being completely disengaged in team defensive schemes strays away from inexperience or simple d******ery and into generalized attitude problems (i.e., moves from "can't" to "don't want to"). neither reason is good, but the latter is even more annoying. that sounds like what Fish was saying. i had been thinking randle was just basketball dumb. which, again, isn't much better, functionally speaking. but it's more forgivable.

Cookie and revgen like this.
  10. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    The "bad words" I use outside class are far more prevalent than in class. I use them in class only in the context of appropriate discussions. I have zero problem with bad language. But some students are turned off by it, and I love language, so I want to demonstrate how to say things clearly and effectively without all-purpose words like F. Master the others first.

Barnstable and sirronstuff like this.
  11. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    As I have said many times, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on a Randle trade if the right offer comes along...

He is not a foundational piece by any stretch of imagination. The Lakers need to establish and attitutde and culture and thats primarily a mental/personal quality rather than basketball talent (which he has).

revgen and sirronstuff like this.
  12. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I think the assumption we get from Fish is that Julius doesn't take the game seriously or work hard, but I don't think that's it. I think Julius just doesn't open his own game enough. He's risk averse and thus doesn't develop enough. He improved in so many areas this year, but it wasn't until late in the year that he started shooting threes when he had said he worked all summer on it. He's too afraid to fail. Defensively he's as inconsistent as any of our kids, but I think I've never understood why. He said early in his career he wanted to emulate what Draymond Green does, well okay then he needs to remember where Green makes his money.

I'm not giving up on him yet, but if he can net us a veteran star then I'm absolutely interested. I like Julius and I think he'll have a very good NBA career. I disagree with anyone saying he's not a foundational piece or whatever the case may be. He's got a tremendous physical profile and I still believe when he turns up his aggressiveness he's as effective as almost any other young player. Still, if you can package Julius for a legitimate All-Star, I do it. I do the same for any of our kids though besides Ingram.

edit- I don't mean to sound like I don't think he has a mentality issue. My point is his mentality issue isn't laziness, it's taking chances. He's not a chance taker and so he holds himself back. Sometimes you have to get dunked on defensively...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    abeer3, lakerjones, gcclaker and 3 others like this.
  13. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    So you're saying that mentally he's....

[​IMG]

revgen likes this.
  14. therealdeal

Yeah sort of in a way. Honestly I had the same issue at his age. Some people never grow out of it and some do. You have to be willing to take chances. I mean Randle has shown he's not going to back down from a fight, but he is afraid of missing a shot. I have a lot of criticisms of Russell, but he's certainly never been afraid of the moment. Russell might be the inverse problem of Randle. :D

One is too afraid to take chances and one is not afraid enough of taking chances.

revgen likes this.
  15. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

I think there are way too many instances where Randle is just not engaged in the game. I think it is a mixture between laziness and immaturity(leaning heavily towards the laziness) I know players can't go hard for 48 minutes but Randle takes off play after play.

Last nights game was a terrible game for Randle. His box score doesn't reflect it but it was a total "mail in the effort" game. Getting outworked, no boxing out, letting guys blow by him. Out of all our young guys I think he has the highest number of these type of lack of effort games. It's totally frustrating because he has so much talent.

lakerfan2, Weezy, gcclaker and 2 others like this.
  16. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

I wouldn't say he's not a foundation piece. IMO he and Zubac have the most elite physical gifts on this team to dominate opposing defenders. Randle with strength/speed, and Zu with length/size. Even Ingram is starting to show speed/length advantages late into the season, and could add strength in the summer to improve his physical traits.

The big problem for Randle is that he missed an entire season due to injury, so he's being forced to grow up a bit earlier than Russell, Ingram, or Zu have to.

lakerjones, gcclaker and Barnstable like this.
  17. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

It's a tough one for me. I love Randle and have been one of his biggest fans/proponents here. However, he's got a LOT to work on. And to me most of it isn't offseason stuff (except of course his shooting and working on that right hand) - most of it is attentiveness to detail within game. Defense, which is his GLARING weakness is effort and smarts over skill. Those really are mental aspects as Fish pointed out. You don't need the abundance of talent he has already shown to focus on those two things. You need to have your head together and you need the desire to shut down and destroy your opponent. I've seen small glimpses of Randle with that intention - great switches on guards, jumping in the passing lane and disrupting passes, blocking the hell out of someone in the lane. But it's only been that - occasional glimpses. His focus is so far off this most of the time. I also miss the monster rebounder that he was last year. This year again, glimpses, but not focus on the boards. He's very distracted a lot on the court and I wonder at times if he doesn't seem to exhibit a bit of ADHD type of behavior.

Bottom line, I like the kid a lot. He's got some intangibles that I love and at times can demonstrate the heart of a lion out there. But I just don't know if he's going to make the cut here long term. As ever, we'll see. Like therealdeal mentioned, I'd be ok with trading Randle/Clarkson and Houston's pick for Paul George. But I wouldn't trade Randle just for the sake of trading.

18. therealdeal

Watching this you'd think Julius was a defensive stalwart all season.

This is a video I'd watch a thousand times if I were Julius. Look at what he can do (should do). If he can do it sometimes, he can do it all the time.

19. LTLakerFan

[​IMG] Yep. Julius did an amazing job finding those great highlights and putting the edit together. CaCHooKa Man worthy. :Fishwink: Sells me.

In my perfect world any of our young guys with this much promise so young .... if we had to trade some ... I'd sure love a look at them next season once everything's clicking with our roster best as it can. Baring injuries, I think all these guys come into the start of the season looking better than when they finished their best parts at the end of the season. Magic and Rob and Luke have made it real clear that now they are on the clock of staying a Laker. Trade value goes UP as they play well toward the approaching trade deadline. Again, assuming health. I don't see regression in talent from any of them.

sirronstuff, revgen and trodgers like this.
  20. KRL

KRL - Lakers 6th Man -

Don't give up on JR he is the next hybrid of LBJ/CWebb/Barkley

sirronstuff likes this.