Judging The New Front Office After Their First Wave Of Moves!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by KB24, Jun 23, 2017.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

[​IMG]

sirronstuff likes this.
  2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

My only point is we've made one move thus far. Some people are reacting like we're throwing away everything. We've got to see the map here a little, not just the road in front of us.

Big Mamma Jamma and sirronstuff like this.
  3. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

I liked their trade with Utah, got the guy they wanted anyways and 42nd, even if Bryant doesn't make team it was still a good trade. I dont ever recall mitch trading down before, I know he purchased picks but I dont ever recall us trading down to get to more picks.

4. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    I agree with all you guys. Jim and Mitch had us in a deep hole. It's much easier to ride that hole to oblivion. See the Knicks!! I think that much of the Lakers fan base have become so negative from all stupid mistakes under Jim Buss, and the infighting in the Buss family, that they can't find that old positive energy that used to dominate the Lakers fans.

Man, even during Jerry Wests playing days, there was a much more positive feeling rooting for this team. There were no expectations, a bit of doom and gloom, sure, but every possibly positive things was appreciated. And then Showtime just took it over the top. That was a super positive era. No complaints, life was almost perfect. I actually think the Phil Jackson era, was the beginning of the fall for us. Even though we won with him, he used negative press as a motivational tool. That changed our culture. The Shaq, Kobe feud fed it and the press ate it up. Much of our fan base either came in through it or were effected by it and the whole negative takes on everything took hold in the culture. Before Phil, wasn't really like this so much.

I think we have to clean house and get people here who play with positive energy and care about winning. No more yahoo's, time to get serious. No offense but this is Nick Youngs problem too. He is a bit of a numbnut, no cares in the world. Honestly, I don't want guys like that. If winning isn't the most important thing to them, then move them out. Our team culture was not right, it is being set right and after a few moves, if the players left don't get it, they should have all the evidence now to realize, they will be on a new team soon!!

KRL, LTLakerFan and Juronimo like this.
  5. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Let all also remember, and something I posted a few pages back that we tried to include a future, unprotected 1st Round pick to Moz and Deng but no team was willing to take that.

jbiggs and sirronstuff like this.
  6. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
  7. LTLakerFan

So so.

[​IMG];)

:Laugh:

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  8. Big Mamma Jamma

Big Mamma Jamma - Rookie -

I like what the FO has done thus far. The one word I would use to describe the FO is DISCIPLINED. They've been very disciplined in their approach and have really done well in the draft.

Sometimes the best move to make is the one that was never made.

KB24, OmarE, LTLakerFan and 3 others like this.
  9. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    They started out with a C just because they can equally go up or down based on moves. Currently at a B-. If they want anything in the B+/A range they need to complete their final project (Stars in 2018) which is a major portion of their grade.

Looking like a solid draft group, picked up a FA we had no business in the running for, they are definitely trending up.

10. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

B+ for me so far. Ball looks legitimate, Kuzma a steal, Hart and Bryant maybe NBA bodies. Caldwell-Pope signing is fantastic given our situation. I'm happy that we didn't gut the roster for Paul George. We turned Russell and a bad contract into a unique Center that fits us perfectly as well as a pick.

If they get rid of Deng at this point, they're in the running for Front Office of the year.

11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

incomplete.

if paul george isn't here next year, F-.

if he is, B+.

if he and lebron are, A++.

see you in a year.

alam1108 likes this.
  12. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

B- after the Pope signing, solid B if we can finish the roster with a decent backup PG. Their first wave of moves really started with the Lou Williams trade, getting a good team guy in Brewer and a 1st rounder, and getting rid of or letting go players that don't fit into their vision has continued. Lou, Huertas, Russell, Mozgov, Young, Robinson, Black, all gone. Brewer, Lopez, Pope, Ball, Kuzma, Hart in, it's solid, it's a good direction to go in, a great offseason compared to Deng and Mozgov.

13. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Will truly be an incomplete until we see what happens next summer. Thus far though I'd give them an A in their moves. Trading Lou was smart. Got what seems like a really good player in Kuzma. Drafting in general looks like an A to me. Lonzo Ball was a perfect pick with his level of play, his fit on the team and the excitement he's delivering for not just the fan base but across the NBA with his summer league performances. I like Hart and Bryant is a nice young player, too.

While including Russell in the deal for Lopez was rough, it was a necessity in order to get rid of Mozgov's horrible contract. I thought it was too early, but I'm thrilled we did it as now we have a legit 20 point a game scoring starting center on the roster who is a great fit. You have to jump on a chance like that and the FO was again smart to do so.

Lastly the KCP signing was terrific. We got that one year deal we wanted, got a good defensive minded SG to fill up the back court with Lonzo and he's young and may stick. So far I'm totally pleased.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    TIME likes this.
  14. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    We're in a far better position today than we were at this stage last year.

Part of that was luck or Magic, getting the 2nd pick lottery "Ball."

15. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    You guys are harsh (except for @lakerjones).

Solid A.

Cmon seriously. Drafted THE best player in Zo. Nabbed one of the steals of the draft in Kuz. Got that pick + a true stretch 5 for Russell. Then stayed the right amount of patient in early FA week, and then pounced HARD by signing Pope. Every single move has been right so far. My only regret was not drafting Jordan Bell with the 28.

16. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Well, to be fair, I don't call anyone a steal before they've played a single NBA game. I like Kuzma and what he appears to bring to the table, but it's summer league. He will be a steal if he can do this in the real league, until then it's too early. We also don't know Ball is the best player in the draft yet. I think he will be, I would have taken him 1 overall if we had the top pick, but we don't know it yet. So, B.

17. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

+1

18. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Another person's opinion. I agree with most except Kuzma, who I think was an A pick up. He could actually replace one of our already really good PF roster in Randle and Nance. He fits the modern construction of the team as a stretch 4 who can guard positions 1-4 (and even small ball 5), has tons of hustle, and can run out on the break and finish. Like TIME, I love Jordan Bell, but he can't stretch the floor and I like the fit with Kuzma more.

Also I now feel like DLO and Moz for Lopez is an A. Not only did we get a nice player in Lopez, dump a horrific contract that handicapped us next summer in Moz, but also while we lost young talent in Russell, the move opened up the roster spot to grab KCP. If he's not a starter there's no way he comes here for a one year contract. A big factor in his signing here short term is to audition for a bigger, longer contract and that doesn't happen without a starting role (opened up by moving Russell).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2721229-grading-every-los-angeles-lakers-offseason-move-so-far

Grading Every Los Angeles Lakers Offseason Move so Far
    ZACH BUCKLEYJULY 12, 2017

1. [​IMG]
      Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports
      The first NBA offseason for the new-look Los Angeles Lakers front office isn't finished, but the early returns are promising.

They got out from under one of the Association's worst contracts and positioned themselves for a frenzied pursuit of next summer's top free agents. They left the draft with as many as four new puzzle pieces, including the newly minted face of the franchise Lonzo Ball. They also snared one of free agency's most intriguing young talents without disrupting their future financial flexibility.

Granted, this is only on-paper relief for now. But for a club trapped in the worst four-year period of its existence, the transactions have yielded some overdue optimism.

Their six significant moves have all been placed under the microscope here. Each has been assessed a grade corresponding to its value, impact and potential.

Two minor transactions are too fluid to gauge. L.A. waived David Nwaba on Wednesday, but it's possible he returns if he clears waivers. The Lakers also signed undrafted guard P.J. Dozier out of South Carolina, but without knowing the details of the deal, there's no way to analyze it.

With our grading criteria in place and formalities out of the way, let's get to the report cards.

Landing Thomas Bryant on Draft Night
    1 OF 6

1. [​IMG]
      Garrett Ellwood/Getty Images
      Thomas Bryant looks the part of a pro prospect with a 7'6" wingspan sprawling out from his 6'10 ¾", 248-pound frame. That the Lakers were able to snare him with the 42nd selection—the second of two picks obtained by trading down from 28 to 30—gives the addition some steal potential.

His on-court approach is almost as appealing as his natural gifts. His motor stays fully revved, and he embraces physical play around the basket. His rapid rise as a three-point shooter—more makes as a sophomore (23) than attempts as a freshman (15) and a five-percentage-point increase in accuracy (33.3 to 38.3)—also speaks highly of his work ethic.

"He brings energy every time he plays," Lonzo Ball said, per Silver Screen and Roll's Harrison Faigen. "His attitude is perfect."

But there are enough holes in Bryant's game that he was expected to go about where he was drafted. He lacks great explosiveness and quickness, which stops him from being as effective a shot-blocker and defensive rebounder as he should be. He must score efficiently to have a positive impact, and as a limited shot-creator, he relies on others to help him do that.

It also isn't entirely clear where he fits. He's obviously behind Brook Lopezand Ivica Zubac at center, and that's before factoring in Julius Randle and Larry Nance Jr. as small-ball 5s.

But at this price, Bryant is a project worth undertaking.

Grade: B-

Trading Down for Josh Hart
    2 OF 6

1. [​IMG]
      Andrew D. Bernstein/Getty Images
      You name it, Josh Hart did it over his four decorated seasons at Villanova. He was the leading scorer on a national champion as a junior, a first-team All-American as a senior, a 50-plus percent shooter all four years and a 40-plus percent three-point sniper twice.

He's sort of the typical four-year prospect—only better than most—in that scouts have never drooled over his athleticism or length. But they have marveled at his polished skills, maturity, basketball IQ and tenacity.

The 22-year-old may not have the highest ceiling, but he was one of the safer selections in the draft—and the last pick of the first round. That's outstanding value, even if his upside sits somewhere between reliable role player and adequate starter.

"The first-team All-American has amazing statistical projections because he was so efficient and has all the physical tools to be a good, solid shooting guard," USA Today's Adi Joseph wrote. "That's exactly the kind of player the Lakers need alongside Lonzo Ball, especially if Hart's strong college defense translates to the next level."

Hart's biggest weakness is the absence of an elite skill. But that also means he isn't lacking in any particular area, which should make him easy to plug-and-play alongside several different personnel groups.

Grade: A-

Snagging Kyle Kuzma at No. 27
    3 OF 6

1. [​IMG]
      Ethan Miller/Getty Images
      There's a contemporary feel to Kyle Kuzma's game. The versatile 6'9 ½" forward was one of only 10 players to average at least 16 points, nine rebounds and two assists last season.

He plays like a small-ball big. He has quickness and agility, plus good enough vision to function as a secondary playmaker. And while he's not the strongest player in the post, his 7'0" wingspan allows him to contribute around the basket.

But this was far from a no-brainer pick. Kuzma was ranked 43rd among prospects on DraftExpress and drafted 27th. As a soon-to-be 22-year-old, his upside isn't overwhelming, and it's hard to consider him a safe choice when he shot just 30.2 percent from three and 63.1 percent at the line in college.

"He's just not particularly athletic and doesn't show enough shooting chops to justify a spot in the first round," Bleacher Report's Adam Fromal wrote.

L.A.'s motivation here is hard to find. Kuzma was neither the best player available, nor the one with the most upside when he came off the board. And he can't be called a need-filler when Randle, Nance, Brandon Ingram and Luol Deng can all play power forward.

If Kuzma can harness his jumper, he'll be an interesting support piece. But this wasn't great value at where he was taken.

Grade: C-

Dumping D'Lo and a Lot of Salary
    4 OF 6

1. [​IMG]
      Andrew D. Bernstein/Getty Images
      L.A.'s new regime could not have made it any clearer—D'Angelo Russell was not their guy. If that wasn't made apparent by last month's deal that sent Russell and Timofey Mozgov to Brooklyn for Brook Lopez and the 27th pick, team president Magic Johnson's subsequent comments hammered it home.

"D'Angelo is an excellent player," Johnson said, per ESPN.com's Baxter Holmes. "... But what I needed was a leader. I needed somebody also that can make the other players better and also [somebody] that players want to play with."

Russell, the No. 2 pick in 2015, was a polarizing player. He had star-level flashes, but he struggled with efficiency and maturity. It seems early to discard him in a salary dump—and his career could prove that to be the case—but it's not like the Lakers brass appeared to wrestle with this decision.

Moving from Mozgov to Lopez immediately turns the center spot from a debilitating weakness to a strength. As long as the Lakers can rebound with Lopez, they'll benefit from his steady scoring at all three levels—he shot 34.6 percent on 5.2 three-point attempts per game last season—and ability to defend the rim.

But that's just an added bonus to the transaction's primary perk. The Lakers ditched the three years and $48 million left on Mozgov's deal while taking back Lopez's expiring $22.6 million salary. As ESPN Insider Kevin Pelton explained, this was masterful manipulation of the cap:

The real benefit of this trade for the Lakers comes in the summer of 2018, when Lopez's contract expires. That will potentially leave only the No. 27 pick on the books for 2018-19 from this trade, meaning the Lakers will have successfully cleared $21.6 million in cap space. That puts them in position to make at least one max offer and gives them a realistic path to having two max spots if they trade Jordan Clarkson and trade or waive and stretch Luol Deng.

Russell is a heavy price to pay for the chance to chase stars. There's a worst-case scenario where he blossoms in Brooklyn and L.A. comes up empty. But if one or more top-shelf targets head to Hollywood next summer, this deal becomes a savvy sacrifice.

Grade: B

Signing KCP to One-Year Balloon Deal
    5 OF 6

1. [​IMG]
      Chris Schwegler/Getty Images
      Free agency probably didn't play out how Kentavious Caldwell-Pope had planned, but this was exactly what the Lakers had in mind. In a single signing, they bulked up their backcourt defense, furthered their youth movement and retained the cap space needed to go superstar-searching next summer.

Caldwell-Pope's late entry to the unrestricted market—his rights were renounced a week into the bidding process—left him with few options. L.A. seized the opportunity and secured the two-way wing on a one-year, $18 million deal, as ESPN's Brian Windhorst reported.

This is an on-court heist. The Lakers fielded the Association's worst defense last season, and drafting Ball wasn't going to help. But with Caldwell-Pope's ability to defend both backcourt positions, L.A. now has a guard stopper who can let Ball take the easier assignment. Caldwell-Pope is also an easy add on offense, since he doesn't need many touches and thrives off the ball (37.4 catch-and-shoot three-point percentage).

But this goes well beyond the immediate impact. Not only did the Lakers preserve their cap room, but as ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski explained when this first became a possibility, Caldwell-Pope could be an asset in the recruitment of LeBron James:

"[He's] obviously a good, young two-way player, shares the same agent as LeBron James—Rich Paul. As the Lakers' pursuit of LeBron James heats up, they bring in someone who's part of Klutch Sports, and the one thing that I think anybody knows if you're going to get at LeBron James, you need a roster of two-way players.

"They could potentially sign him at a high number for one year, create more cap space next year, re-sign him to an extension as the Lakers try to pursue Paul George [and] LeBron James."

Caldwell-Pope's career shooting marks aren't great (40.5 from the field, 33.4 outside), and he'll crowd the backcourt a bit, but it's tough to find negatives from L.A.'s perspective.

Grade: A

Bringing in a Big Baller
    6 OF 6

1. [​IMG]
      Garrett Ellwood/Getty Images
      LaVar Ball spoke the No. 2 selection into existence, and the basketball gods declared, "Thy will be done." Despite whispers the Lakers could go against the grain, they stuck to the predicted path and grabbed Lonzo Ball second overall.

While not a perfect prospect—there are questions regarding his defense and ability to create his own shot—the 6'6" point guard establishes L.A.'s identity. And it just so happens to be the same up-tempo, movement-based direction head coach Luke Walton prefers.

Ball brings next-level vision and creativity that will both elevate the youngsters around him and potentially complement any superstars coming down the line. He averaged an NCAA-leading 7.6 assists per game during his lone season at UCLA, flashing the rapid decision-making and unselfishness needed to kick the Lakers offense into high gear.

"We feel like Lonzo is a transcendent talent, and Magic and I knew the moment we scouted his game," general manager Rob Pelinka said, per ESPN.com's Baxter Holmes. "... The way he passes the ball, you look at quarterbacks like Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers, that just have a gift. It's clearly a gift, with what he's been blessed with."

Ball may never be a primary scoring option, but he's already an across-the-board contributor. That's who he was in college—14.6 points and 6.0 rebounds to go along with his dime-dropping—and who he's been in summer league—dropping an 11-point, 11-rebound, 11-assist triple-double his second time out.

The Chino Hills native was made for the purple and gold, from his Showtime-esque flair to his made-for-Hollywood father. His big-league transition could be the most critical factor in L.A.'s anticipated courtship of the league's elite next summer.

Grade: A

Unless otherwise indicated, all stats from Sports-Reference or NBA.com.

Zach Buckley covers the NBA for Bleacher Report. Follow him on Twitter: @ZachBuckleyNBA.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  19. LTLakerFan

Yeah I agree with you lakerjones. All the grades pretty much OK but they really piss me off on Kuzma. Are we even watching the same player? My excitement for Kuz is right up there behind Lonzo. Legitimate 3 and D stretch 4 who can pass the ball and handle some as well. That has to be an A. We haven't had one these guys in a long time. Robert Horry lite as a floor? A grade on Kuz. Plus he's perfect with Zo already. Great pick up. Shoots the 3 sweet.

TIME and lakerjones like this.
  20. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Obviously who ever wrote Kuzmas was high AF watching one game,and ran away with a few numbers he looked up. Pretty lazy and weak...motivation factor doe. Been tagging kyle on a lot of things. A family member of his liked my comment. I dunno if it's a sister,his mom or aunt lol.

Juronimo and lakerjones like this.