Judging The New Front Office After Their First Wave Of Moves!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by KB24, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

@abeer3 Completely agree man proof is in the pudding. For me I think that Magic/Pelinka have a better shot and courting players than Jimbo and Mitch. Kobe being retired as a player, but on board as a pitch man helps, as does coach Puke. All and all it feels like a much better situation for recruiting. Will it pan out that way... who knows. But at least Jimbo is gone.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  2. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I believe Black's contract next year isn't guaranteed, but your point remains just as valid. If we don't keep Black and replace him with Bryant, it's the same thing, we get even younger and we have a 6'11 guy stuck on the bench behind Lopez and Zu that has where to develop? I really hope a trade or two are coming.

3. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Not with historically toxic contracts like MozDeng.

It's not debatable that Brook Lopez was possibly (and realistically) the best expiring contract out there. And I think 1 year of 20 ppg production is useful to our team. So I count him in both columns.

Not all building blocks need to be part of our long-term plan. If we land George, Lopez could be the difference between the 8th seed or the lottery.

Maybe so, but 99% of the damage was done before Feb 2017. Everyone knew Russell had his issues.

The lottery and free agency is not the same. The lottery is 100% based on luck with no execution involved. In either case though, you first have to put yourself in a situation to succeed. We tanked and got Ball. Now we've cleared cap space to sign George and another max FA next year.[/QUOTE]

Barnstable likes this.
  4. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

I think we should've waited on Deng/Moz move, at least after 18' season they'd only have 2 yrs left, we could've used some future 1st to dump them. However I am not going to question Dlo inclusion, he obviously did not heed Magic/Rob warning about wanting to be here and doing whatever you have to do to EARN your keep. I just thought we could've gotten more or better asset w/o including Moz in any Dlo deal.

alam1108, therealdeal, 432J and 2 others like this.
  5. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Yep. We should have been more patient with Russell and opted to increase his trade value around the league. I don't like the move in a vacuum. However, I do understand why we did it...

The draft was fine; We're getting players who fit Luke's vision. We're good.

Next up Free Agency; and Rob already addressed our biggest need we need to go after: shooting.

6. RushDelivery

RushDelivery - Rookie -

A trade is likely coming, but probably not until after our draft picks are showcased in the summer league. I doubt it will be a trade for PG, but hopefully it's for a solid vet and future assets who can provide some balance to this young roster.

therealdeal likes this.
  7. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Boy there's a pretty solid split here. :D

If/when George is a Laker all this talk fades away. I'm confident today, we'll see where we're at in a week or two.

TIME, alam1108, tada and 3 others like this.
  8. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Should be mandatory viewing of all Lakers fans, because so many people out there and on this board think our FO is clueless.

Link:

http://www.nba.com/lakers/video/tea...99688035-RobPelinka_AfterDraftPresser-1492251

If I put on my critical glasses the only thing I didn't like was lets continue to make sure we aren't rushing to get major starts too fast. Now if that means we can keep our young assets then that's fine. But we have to be smart about this and I think Rob understands this.

upload_2017-6-23_9-31-36.png

9. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

No. I've seen the video. And as tough as I'm being on them right now, I'm not against the front office and definitely want them to succeed. But I'm in full show and prove mode and this point.

10. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Actually getting rid of Mozgov and DLo, both of whom were obtained by Jim and Mitch, would be the exact opposite of what Jim and Mitch did.

John3:16 and KRL like this.
  11. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

“We were able to get amazing salary-cap relief and space so that in July of 2018 we have the ability to add hopefully two max-salary players to our franchise” - Rob Pelinka

So they are clearing cap room to go after big name free agents just as we did multiple times during the Jim/Mitch era.

Its the same plan. Not really seeing why anyone is trying to argue against that.

KB24, shoe, scnottaken and 3 others like this.
  12. KRL

KRL - Lakers 6th Man -

I think it is COVENIENTLY left out that we got an ALL STAR CENTER who puts up pretty much 20 a night!

13. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

same plan but different pitchman, before it was the teacher from Ferris Buehler day off and billy madison (Jimbo) lol. We all know how magic is and you gota be great saleman to be an Agent and a super agent at that in Rob.

14. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Well it's hard to ignore the elephant in the room. Might as well rename this thread "Why it was a Mistake to Trade D'Angelo Russell."

therealdeal and Kingsama like this.
  15. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

Completely immaterial! It also doesn't matter that Lopez is nearly a good a shooter as D'Lo...

16. LaVarBallsDad

I think Randle and JC are going ro be shopped, bud.

Additionally, I think Black might not be back.

ElginTheGreat and therealdeal like this.
  17. LaVarBallsDad

They'll be shopping Deng; he sticks out like a sore thumb.

Worst case: he is stretched and waived clearing more space for 2018...

ElginTheGreat and therealdeal like this.
  18. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I agree completely. Seems to me Jordan and Julius are on the block 100% with the kids we brought in yesterday. Kuzma is a poor man's Julius, but he's cheaper. Hart may actually be a better player than Jordan (although not the athlete). I think the Lakers are more than content to roll with them into the season, but I expect them to be shopped at the deadline if they're not moved before that, especially Clarkson.

I think the Lakers will explore attaching Deng to Randle to see if anyone will bite. I'm not sure anyone does. I could see Julius and/or Clarkson traded for a future pick and an expiring contract. I'll put together a post on the Lakers financial situation for next season now with all the kids.

19. LaVarBallsDad

Agree. I'd like to kbow where we are at financially. Rob said they want 2 max slots available by 2018.

therealdeal likes this.
  20. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Because signing two weak players in Mozgov and Deng to 33-36 million total per year contracts is not clearing cap room for big name free agents. Nor were those big-name free agents. The end of the Buss/Kupchak era will always be marred by the fact that they cleared space by not being able to attract big name players here then with the space we had, signed 2 two horrible deals no one in the league would have done or understood. Since Magic and Rob took over here and the subsequent "buzz" we now have one the most prized upcoming free agents saying he's coming here as soon as he can. When did we have that happen during Buss' reign? Hell now there's even LBJ rumors.Not to mention undoing one of those bad deals, yes we gave up a piece but I don't think that piece fit into our long term plans.

I fail to see the comparison at all.