Jordan Clarkson Discussion: Sky's the limit!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by davriver209, Oct 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Yeah I see Clarkson more as our backup 2 guard that has some 1 abilities.

The cool thing about our bench (and really Byron's system) is that probably four players on our bench can be scorers/playmakers if you count Lin who I think will play most of his minutes with the bench.

Randle, Lin, Young when he gets back, Clarkson, and Ellington if he ever plays can all bring the ball up effectively and get to the rim when they need to. That's pretty awesome versatility.

As for Clarkson specifically, he's a very good bet at our backup SG spot right now. Ellington is out with a concussion and had an underwhelming pre-season/camp. Clarkson is athletic, versatile, and works hard on the floor. A lineup of Lin/Clarkson/Johnson/Randle/Davis can really get up and down the floor while defending effectively too.

trodgers likes this.
  2. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I do like Ellington's stroke though, he's probably one of our very few pure shooters. But Clarkson does have a nice shot as well.

3. therealdeal

It's funny Ellington's shot looks so good, but he couldn't make anything in the pre-season. Hopefully some of our pieces coming back means more open looks for him.

4. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Clarkson is a 2 currently; he has the ability to play the 1 but that will take some time. Right now, though, I like the way he's playing...he's very smooth, very quick, and his improved shot gives us another three point threat/floor spacer. He'll be fine this season.

5. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Although I do believe he does have the ability to create his own shot, the offense should not be going through him.

Since Lin will be starting, I hope Price can establish that pick and roll game with Davis as well. He's too strong of a finisher not too. Randle also gets the nod above Clarkson because of his one on one ability. The times Clarkson had a go on offense in preseason, he tends to rush and force things.

6. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Well, that's being a rookie, right? He'll improve in that area as the season progress and the game slows down for him. No, the offense shouldn't go through him. He needs to be relegated to defending with effort and hitting the open jump shot. Although, if he does have a lane to attack or his out in transition, he could do that as well.

lakerfan2 likes this.
  7. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Yall also got to remember who Clarkson was playing with.. he mightve had that feeling, if I dont do something I know damn well someone else wont haha. But I agree, seems like hes going to have to earn minutes, possibly at both guard spots but one thing we will know soon is IF hes ahead of Henry on the depth chart. Ellington is horrible IMO btw but he must be stroking in practice&possibly had too many jitters,also lack of surrounding talent?

8. therealdeal

Ellington has been around the block I think the Lakers know he CAN shoot, but he definitely looked nervous to me. It felt like he thought he might be getting cut so he was really stressing out on the floor.

Henry I think is going to be buried in the depth chart. He's not healthy, it's becoming unclear if he'll ever GET healthy, and with no time in training camp or spent with the team in practice I think Byron will have a hard time playing him. Clarkson is ahead of him right now by default.

9. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    And Clarkson doesn't look too bad. He actually looks a lot better than initially thought. We all thought he was going to be another Darius Morris, but he's a very solid draft pick so far.

10. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Jordan Clarkson may get time as Lakers backup point guard

[​IMG]

The Lakers start the regular season on Tuesday night, hosting the Houston Rockets at Staples Center.

They'll do so without point guard Steve Nash, who is out for the season with chronic back issues. Veteran guard Ronnie Price is questionable, after suffering a bruised knee in the Lakers preseason closer on Friday against the Sacramento Kings.

Even Wayne Ellington, whom Coach Byron Scott has used as an emergency point guard throughout the preseason, will sit Tuesday with a concussion.

Fortunately for the Lakers, Jeremy Lin has fully recovered from a pair of sprained ankles, but who will Scott turn to as Lin's backup on Tuesday, if Price is unable to play?

"I've got Jordan Clarkson," said Scott after practice on Monday. "He's been playing one as well in the preseason."

The 6-foot-5 Clarkson was acquired on draft day with the 46th overall pick. A calf injury kept him out half of the preseason, but through four games -- primarily as Kobe Bryant's backup at shooting guard -- Clarkson averaged 9.5 points and 1.0 assist while shooting just 34.3% from the field.

"I'm not overly excited about him playing [at point guard] as a rookie, this early, but in an emergency situation, I think he'll be able to handle it well," Scott said. "I just talked to him about running the show, thinking about getting guys to where they need to be -- not to think about shot first.

"I think he'll be fine."

Scott said Price was close to a return, "We'll see how he feels tomorrow."

The Lakers will not have Nick Young (thumb), Xavier Henry (knee), Ryan Kelly (hamstring), Ellington or Nash on Tuesday against the Rockets.

Email Eric Pincus at eric.pincus@gmail.com and follow him on Twitter @EricPincus.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-jordan-clarkson-lakers-20141027-story.html

11. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Yeah, good luck with that.

Clarkson is a PG the way Westbrook is a PG... barely

Should have found a way to keep Marshal this off season

therealdeal likes this.
  12. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    Thats simply because he hasnt mastered the offense yet... he will be MORE than fine, plus if hes on the floor w/Kobe or Lin they can be the ones pushing the ball up. Im not worried about it what soever. Another "Darius Morris" lol, I dunno who you been hanging out with to make that type of statement after PRESEASON with all due respect.

Well simply see tomorrow where he stands but root for the kid to succeed&not to be able to say I told you so etc..please.

13. therealdeal

He can be just like Lin and be fine, but that's not really his style. He's definitely a scorer first. Maybe a Monta Ellis- lite.

It'll be interesting to see if he can handle this. A rookie 2nd round pick playing big minutes for us... Hopefully he can handle it better than Morris, am I right?

14. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

^ he can't handle it worse than Morris :D I realy believe he's a steal, rooting hard for him to succeed.

therealdeal likes this.
  15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i don't think he's a pg (nor will he be--how many guys have successfully transitioned from sg to pg in the nba?), and i'm actually concerned that using him there will be counterproductive in the short and long term.

i understand that injuries have dictated this right now, but they need to abandon this strategy as soon as they can, imo.

16. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    I honestly every time I think of him, I say to myself PLEASEEE turn out to be a Monte-Ellis type who IMO is a stud. We got the pick for nothing, so honestly it looks Mitch has possibly made a dollar out of fifteen cents lol. I got to see what he does with his minutes tonight to try&get a better grasp of where his game is at.

therealdeal likes this.
  17. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Sending a rookie who's not a PG to do that is a tall order. Let's hope Lin plays well and we don't need to rely too much on Clarkson.

18. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    With all due respect, in the princeton offense I thought it simply does not matter as much having a TRUE PG...offense runs around a strong post player does it not? Dont you think the better question is if youre comfortable with him bringing the ball up and making the pass to setup the transition of the base offense without turnovers?

19. therealdeal

What you're saying is true, but Byron's systems have always still centered around strong PG play. Even the little bit that you're describing needs a decent PG to initiate the offense and call plays. He's a rook and it's hard to rely on a rook to make decisions out there.

20. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    If Kobe nor Lin are on the floor I definitely understand where youre coming from. Thats when I feel you get the ball to Julius and see how he responds trying to make some things happen down low while knowing theres an outlet if he gets doubled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.