Jordan Clarkson Discussion

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by thkthebest, Jul 15, 2015.

1. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

Geez, what a gym, totally decked out!

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

In before with "Poser" :Laugh:

LOL with the edit and repeated whole first section before getting to the new stuff at the end. Slacker with the phone whoever it was. :SadPau2: UPDATE .... me stoopid. Guy on the phone was following the repeated same exercises in the routine.

Glass half empty guy. That's what my "body is doing getting ready" for LeBron.

:No2:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    KareemtheGreat33 and sirronstuff like this.
  3. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Not impressed... Guy is half assing out there :giggle:

KareemtheGreat33 and LTLakerFan like this.
  4. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

It looked like he was doing a lower body circuit with the aim of generating power over repeat reps (you can see it's all a circuit because he keeps the max vert belt on throughout):

1 - Jumps on the max vert machine (neurological loading) probably around 8 reps
    2 - Box jumps over a few low boxes, finally to a higher box
    3 - Core rotation push presses
    4 - Back squats with a sub-max range of motion with the chain adding extra weight at the top of the rep

Each movement provides some kind of resistance to jumping and works power-endurance. In basic words the ability to generate max-power on repeat jumping efforts. This is useful for second efforts to secure rebounds, helping in recovering after attempting to block a shot, euro stepping etc etc.

Then he did some basic upper body pushing and pulling strength worked. Ended with a bit of balance and anti-rotational core work (was getting lazy on the glute work at the end with the kick outs, you want to see less movement in the trunk and more movement through the primary driver - the glutes).

It seems a little early for this kind of power/power-endurance work, there is still enough time in the season where they can be working on base line strength with your basic squat, deadlift, pullup, press combo and gaining muscle through hypertrophy rep ranges. But I suppose they are already beginning a quasi-kind of training camp anyway.

If they are already getting into power work, when you look at it like this, the off-season feels kinda short for the athletes. They might get the playoffs off from training, then start baseline work like strength and hypertrophy, move into a power cycle with a month of that and lastly work on endurance during the beginning of training camp.

jbiggs, Cookie, Barnstable and 3 others like this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

hmph...i just thought they drank a bit less beer as october approached.

Juronimo and LTLakerFan like this.
  6. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    I noticed they blocked view of the weights when it came to bench press

#notabigballer

Juronimo and LTLakerFan like this.
  7. sirronstuff

8. LTLakerFan

:Headbang:

Juronimo likes this.
  9. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Pretty spot on.

The final core workout he looked tired. It might have been better to give him a little rest before he did the set. Some guys let their athletes figure it out on their own, but I'd have challenged him to finish the workout on a higher note.

I'm really impressed with Jordan's explosiveness. Even for a top-end NBA athlete, he's got great quick-twitch muscles in his legs. He's able to generate energy without much movement whereas for most of us to some of those jumping exercises, we'd have to load up more.

I agree they should be doing more conventional power lifting, but I think this is a workout specifically tailored to Jordan's muscular makeup. We've seen videos of the other guys doing leg press workouts and things like that. Every single one of these guys though is doing real core work as well. All of the workouts in this video are core challenging in some respect. I think the directive is to get them all leaned down so maybe they've decided not to do too much power lifting? I don't know. I think a kid like Zu could really use some conventional, old-school, sweat box kind of weight lifting to jump start his clearly sluggish metabolism.

I'd be interested in a show with Gunnar on Spectrum Sportsnet about what these guys are doing to train and their progress through the summer.

jbiggs, Cookie, abeer3 and 3 others like this.
  10. sirronstuff

First guest? Luold Dung

Cookie, abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  11. LTLakerFan

Purple and gold anodized or powder coated state of the art weight machines for the win!

I have a goood feeling Jordan's going to have a break out year too. At the very least .... good improvement and he will be earning his salary when he's on the floor. Hell of an athlete. Those girls won't follow you to Cleveland Jordan .... time to become good on D out there to match your offense and your athleticism.

:KobePoint:

sirronstuff likes this.
  12. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I'm not trying to be negative, but I can't muster a single crap to give about this. I expect him to be traded by the deadline, and he really lost me last season with his horrible defense and tunnel vision.

gcclaker and Savory Griddles like this.
  13. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I agree. I kind of view his off-court personality as similar to Russell’s. I get having some fun off the court and having other interests, but he seems too concerned with this stuff. Renting all sorts of exotic cars. Buying tons of expensive clothes. It speaks to his vanity. Arrogance and confidence on the court, while rooted in the same place, is a very different plant than vanity.

I bought into the Clarkson hype early, but he’s now 25 and not really improving. He’s on a decent contract for his production, and if we weren’t in a position where it might get in the way of PG-13 + another star, I’d be just fine with him. But since we aren’t the Bucks or Pacers or some other meaningless franchise in fly-over country, we need to use his salary room for more productive pieces.

Weezy likes this.
  14. LTLakerFan

How bout we watch him play this 1st half of the year after all the hard summer work before putting the nails in the lid on upward progression of his career? He's 25 and getting stronger. Not an old f*** like LeBron will be when he gets here. :Magic Brows:

scnottaken likes this.
  15. therealdeal

LeBron has his own thread.

We get it, you don't want LeBron here.

16. LTLakerFan

Comparing ages. Ridiculous to cap Jordan's career because he's 25 when he continues to work.

Sorry, would "not nearly as old as his majesty when he gets here in another year" not gotten me singled out for what many others do here outside of specific threads for individual players?

17. LTLakerFan

And a lot of us get it that there are others here that don't care as much about the fan experience at its best. A team that is on the upswing and about to get real good when Paul George gets here. If we are to believe all the information that's out there. So far that is a core roster with pieces to be added plus Paul George that every last one of us could cheer for like no other. LBJ gets brought in and that changes everything dramatically and certainly not for the better with the fan experience.

Can only explain it as have others in give me the 4th place team in striking distance now and built for the future importantly as well, rather than the preference for 2nd ranked team to GS who still need to have something go wrong (in which case team in 4 spot not out of it either if something goes wrong) with a team now with LeBron and all his baggage instead of what we could be cheering for in the 4th spot with that roster.

18. therealdeal

You post about LeBron in every thread across LD with some sort of snide comment about not wanting him here. Do you not realize that? For someone who hates LeBron, you sure talk about him a lot.

19. LTLakerFan

I guess it's because he's already betrayed me. I actually said eff it about 5 weeks ago and started drifting toward ambivalence on the morale downgrade because yeah he is still the best player in the world. So I was where you'd want me to be. But then all of this coming out of Cleveland that he started with the understanding he's gone and then exacerbated by reportedly leaking what Kyrie had gone to management about in private. So stupid me he is exactly who we thought he is. I'll try to do better.

20. therealdeal

I don't need you to change your opinion man, I'm just saying you've let it get to you a bit.

We're going to disagree on LeBron, and that's always been okay. I just don't like seeing LeBron everywhere.