Jordan Clarkson Discussion

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by thkthebest, Jul 15, 2015.

1. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

That dude becomes Westbrook-esque by the day.

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

This is so Huge.

Report: Jordan Clarkson, D’Angelo Russell to work out with Steve Nash this summer
    Kurt Helin

Jul 16, 2015, 4:59 PM EDT

[​IMG]AP
    LAS VEGAS — I can envision Steve Nash becoming the point guard guru in the way Hakeem Olajuwon is with big men — eventually everyone who wants to be great at the position travels to the mountain top (or, Houston) to learn from the master.

Nash was as smart a point guard and as dedicated a person as there was at conditioning and taking care of his body. Steve Nash wrung as much great basketball out of what nature gave him as anyone in the league. It makes sense that other point guards might want to work with and learn from him.

Starting with young Lakers’ stars Jordan Clarkson and D’Angelo Russell, reports Bill Oram of the Orange County Register.

Russell has struggled some with both the speed of the game and trying to force the issue at Summer League. He understandably feels the pressure on him and admitted he has been attempting to do too much.

“I’m just trying to force the issue to get big guys involved, and for myself forcing the issue on the offensive end trying to just get something out of nothing when it’s not there,” Russell said. “Realizing it’s Summer League and being patient is my problem right now… Summer League is great for the adjustment process. I’m young, I feel like I’m going to get better every game, every practice, once I get under the system and get the hang of it a little more.”

Russell had the same issue at Ohio State — it took him a few weeks in the Big 10 to adjust to the game style and pace, but when he did he put up the kind of numbers that made him the No. 2 pick. Lakers fans are counting on that kind of adjustment again.

Nash could help with that process. A lot of guys should want to come workout with Nash.

3. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    When I was watching the recording of the game yesterday after work I literally jumped out of my seat in screamed. Did not expect him to try and throw it down on that drive.

4. LTLakerFan

Yeah! Explosive! He has to do the same thing with the crook of his wrist, forearm and hand ....kinds of JAMS!! as Kobe, not having MJ sized hands for palming the ball. Seems to not be hurting him at all, like it sure as f*** never hurt Kobe pulling off his monster jams. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

5. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

@trodgers, what was your statistical projection of Jordan Clarkson going into his 2nd year again, please?

6. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    15.2 points, 4.6 assists, 4.3 rebounds. I do wonder whether he'll get to handle the ball enough to rack up those assists, but two things make me think it's okay. First, Kobe won't play all season, in all likelihood; second, Russell could struggle a bit (as we've seen), and JC could be asked to do more initiating, especially early. Maybe even a third - JC's a steadier play than DAR, so DAR could go to the pine earlier than JC, and JC could run the offense with Williams, Young, Bass, and Black, at least for a few minutes a game.

lakerjones likes this.
  7. LTLakerFan

Just me, but dislike you having to say, whether your honest opinion or not, that for JC to rack up the assists to make your prediction correct ...... Kobe has to break again and Russell struggle more maybe than similar can't-miss-showed-it-their-rookie-season-players. Understand you are keeping it "real", though.

Need my Lakers sugar coated these days ......;)

sirronstuff and trodgers like this.
  8. LaVarBallsDad

Besides the assists very similar number to what Russell averaged in his 2nd second; 16.1 points, 8.0 assists, 4.9 rebounds. I seen Westbrook's numbers when I was doing some investigating earlier, and I knew they resembled your statistical projection for Clarkson's 2nd season. Thought it was interesting; no, I don't think he's the next Westbrook...:)

therealdeal and trodgers like this.
  9. LaVarBallsDad

Understand, though, Russell shot 22.3 % from the 3-point line. I think JC will be better, and he has been so far during this early part of his career; also Westbrook shot 41.8%. I think Clarkson will be a tad more efficient. Closer to 43-44% and 33-35% from the 3-point line.

10. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Of our young 3, he's by far the most poised. I didn't watch much of him in college, so I can't tell if that's his demeanor or the NBA experience he has under his belt.

I don't think he has the highest ceiling of them, but think he has the highest floor.

lakerjones likes this.
  11. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

You kinda have to take into account that JC was drafted a senior out of college, so he has about 4+ years of playing at a higher level than the youngn's.

lakerjones and tada like this.
  12. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. I know you don't like to hear about Kobe going down, but if trodgers is going to make an honest statistical analysis, he has to take his recent frailty into account. :(

LTLakerFan likes this.
  13. EJones06

EJones06 - Rookie -

I definitely understand the Westbrook comparisons. While I don't think he'll quite reach that level, what excites me about Jordan's game is that he seems to play at a slower, more methodical pace than Westbrook, with comparable scoring production to Westbrook at that age. That screams longevity in the league.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  14. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

15. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Here's hoping. And Randle is Draymond Green on steroids.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  16. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    You here that boys? When you are 30-32 as a guard, we'll be replacing at least one of you.

Barnstable, LakersIn4 and therealdeal like this.
  17. bonk

bonk - Rookie -

Quantitative Analyst
    I sure hope he surpasses Westbrooks stupidity and stubborn Richard measuring. That guys got mad talent but a streak of mental lapses over the years that's legendary. As long as he plays smarter I believe if he's 80% the talent of Westbrook he'll actually be a much better player overall.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  18. LakersIn4

LakersIn4 - Rookie -

If JC isn't starting I'll be very disappointed. He's shown the type of consistent scoring where he should be our 2nd option (assuming Kobe still puts up 1st option numbers). It'd be such a waste to not start JC, with Lou Will and Swaggy coming off the bench, if anything he might regress due to how low his usage goes.

lakerjones, LTLakerFan and Chillbongo like this.
  19. LTLakerFan

LOL! Entirely possible I am too stupid to understand what I'm not getting with all the analytics and modern analysis ...... but watching that clip of Jordan knocking down easy range jumpers seems like nothing more than common freaking sense and a lot safer than always going hell bent for the rim. Which he does enough of anyway. F*** Mike D'antoni and that whole mindset with his stretch "centers" ;) . Take what the defense gives you. Only 2 points but yeah if you knock them down, a lot higher % converted and easier to hit.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  20. LTLakerFan

Love the look with Nance's eyes and body language from the bench after seeing it :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: