Jeanie's Mouthpiece Throws Mitch And Jim To The Wolves (Mouthpiece Piece)

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Feb 20, 2017.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

not sure how it's relevant. replacing two people who aren't doing a great job with two people whom we have no reason to expect will do a great job isn't progress.

and i actually think mitch has been a good gm for a long time. a couple of FA bombs shouldn't negate all the good things over time.

and not that i think jim buss is great or anything, but i find it funny that we're roasting him for wanting to hold onto bynum, while ignoring that had it not been for him, the franchise wouldn't have had bynum to deal.

in other words, it's really easy to cherrypick failures (uh, every team missed out on whiteside, folks).

but again, we'll see who jeannie and magic try to blame when the lakers are still winning 30 games per two years from now. because it's going to continue.

and i'll return to my main point, which is that NOBODY--not even the great jerry west--could have recovered easily from the paul trade veto. it bombed the franchise back to the stone age. almost all things that have gone wrong since can be directly or indirectly tied to that bit of short-sighted j******ery from the league office (pau's dead trade value, the need to make a move for nash, etc.).

had jeannie and magic been in charge then, we'd still be right here in the cellar.

svtzr and sirronstuff like this.
  2. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

...and according to Stern on the subject, there was NO deal to veto. Really...? Damn weasel.

sirronstuff likes this.
  3. Lakerman JSJ

Lakerman JSJ Moderator Staff Member

Man, it feels like YEARS ago when I held Jeanie & Ding is very high regard. Now that Jeanie can't open her mouth without showing her ignorance on how basketball ops are run, can't seem to keep things in-house, has let our front office be perceived as being in complete disarray with her childish feud with her brother, and Ding has become little more than her go-to hatchetman, they can both take a hike as far as I'm concerned.

Mitch is a very good GM. He's not perfect, but we've drafted very well in recent years, and since the turn of the century when basketball ops became the "Mitch & Jim" show, I would say we've enjoyed more success than any other NBA franchise. This has provided them with a ton of rope from me, personally.

Jeanie bringing Magic on now is straight-up backstabbery of the highest order. You don't like your brother & want to fire him? Cool, do it. Then you hire his replacement. You don't do it now and then create this weird uncomfortable situation where Magic is out talking to everyone about how he wants to call the shots (with ZERO qualifications, BTW), while Mitch & Jim are still in their respective positions.

The only realistic resolution this offseason I find remotely palatable is for Jim to step down or be let go from Bball ops, and then have Magic & Mitch continue to run things. I may start punching walls if we wind up with only Magic calling the shots. Getting fever dream flashbacks of how Isiah & Vlade have run their respective franchises with no qualifications other than "they were good players". *shivers*

Purp n Gold, Weezy and alam1108 like this.
  4. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Cp3 thing is a crutch....Hou was part of it too, i dont see them sucking like hell. As far as your last comment, arent we in the bottom of the cellar now? Cp3 trade didnt force jim to hire mda, brown and byron nor did it force them to lose Pau/Howard for nothing or ignore fa that wanted to be here like thomas, ill ignore lowry cause i think he used us to just get more $

5. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure I'd call it a "crutch" because it did mess us up for a little bit there, but they have had PLENTY of time to bounce back from that. Like you said, we are on our 4th coach since that decision came down, and not one person on the roster then is here today.

Unfortunately, that 3 year thing Jim put on himself ended up biting us in the a** BIG time cause it forced him and Mitch to do something desperate. They now left behind two gigantic land mines on our payroll that we can only disarm if we give up one of our young kids.

Purp n Gold, acetabulum7 and Juronimo like this.
  6. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

My comment was definitely not to defend jeannie. But it sounds like you don't like Jim or Jeannie. If so then there's nothing to debate because I haven't liked either for many years. I'll rely on Magic to get this ship moving in the right direction and so far so good with the announcement today.

therealdeal likes this.
  7. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I've been against both these kids the last few years. Their sibling rivalry with our organization has been embarrassing. I hate the timing of the move they just made, but I honestly am excited to at least know our FO is all on the same page now. I'm excited to know they're all working toward the same goal. I just hope the right people are in charge of that goal.

8. acetabulum7

acetabulum7 - Rookie -

Yeah the CP3 block was an unforgivable sin, but you're right, we did have plenty of time to bounce back. We did get Dwight Howard and Steve Nash, but we mortgaged away too many draft picks to see Steve Nash get injured (just think if it was CP3 getting injured instead). Just bad luck all around. Of course, it didn't help that Mike Brown came in wanting to play the Princeton Offense (LOLLLL).

Oh well, spilt milk. I'm relieved that Jim Buss is finally gone, but I'm not sold on Magic's decision-making. He strikes me as someone who is set in his ways and not very flexible or willing to make quick decisions when the timing is right. We'll see. Hopefully it's the other Buss Bros and West doing more of the decision-making, or at least being able to influence Magic.

9. Purp n Gold

Purp n Gold - Rookie -

Finally read this. My first thought- if our trade proposal for CP3 was centered around Bynum, I don't buy that Stern would be more inclined to accept the trade. The veto, in my eyes, is related to the lockout, new CBA, and having all 30 owners in one conference room while that deal went down. That is a stretch to pin that solely on Jim.

Not trading Pau or Dwight for any assets is probably the biggest fault I find in Jim and Mitch. Deng and Moz is the capper for letting go of Jim. However I find the Deng contract less defensible than Moz, even us fans could tell Deng was cooked even before he got to Miami. To think he could play significant minutes at 3 is pure pipe, and likely pure Jim.

Like most here, I still find Mitch an above average GM, he had the misfortune of being handcuffed to the dumbest basketball mind out there.

I'm sure the Sacre stuff is true, sounds like classic Jim. But in the grand scheme I don't think it can be tied to not retaining Whiteside, many teams had passed on him and his attitude is still questionable. Same logic for Porzingis. Nobody rated him that high and ultimately NY should be given credit for taking the chance in him.

10. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Another new Jeanie article came out a few days ago, surprised it wasn't posted, but there's some interesting bits

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/07/23/jeanie-buss-is-lakers-wonder-woman/

Found this particularly interesting. I'm surprised to see Denchor talked about in this way so openly, I wonder if we are actively seeking to trade him every day. The guy knows he's nothing but a horrible contract around the league, to hear the owner of his team sort of dance around saying that, has to be odd.

alam1108, Barnstable and sirronstuff like this.
  11. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I think it was posted somewhere, but maybe I saw it on twitter. That's the opposite of a vote of confidence

:Laugh:

He's knows he's overpaid, but no one knew he'd suck this bad.

12. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    LOL Dung will play like 2007 Deng in opening night, then proceed to tear his other boob in the 2nd quarter.

Kenzo and sirronstuff like this.
  13. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

Jeanie, there was no thought process, no philosophy and that is why they never made sense. I bet you feel differently now though...

sirronstuff likes this.
  14. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Stay classy, Jeannie.

15. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    ripping your own player in the media, sounds familiar @ZenMaster ?

16. therealdeal

I didn't want to make a new thread for this.

17. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Man's gotta eat, right? But hey, only us diehards will remember that he wrote hit pieces for Jeannie in exchange for this cushy gig.

LTLakerFan, raviator and therealdeal like this.
  18. therealdeal

That's what I was thinking. His hard work paid off. Jeanie made sure to look after her media lapdog. Man's got to eat, but what they did to Mitch and Jim still doesn't sit well with me.

19. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Dude got fat...

20. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

From unofficial mouthpiece to official mouthpiece :D.

I still have a soft spot for Kevin though, for being one of the only fair and positive LA writers to cover Kobe amid a sea of haters in his own town. He made the OC Register much better to read than the LA Times.