Jeanie Buss On Espn Today

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by ElginTheGreat, Oct 23, 2014.

1. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

She was in no way arrogant or unprofessional.

I hate how people can take shots at the Lakers all day long, but as soon as someone stands up to them they are attacked.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    pound4pound, TIME and lakerjones like this.
  2. five6two

five6two - Rookie -

So when ESPN posts their many anti laker articles, through the years, it's ok but when we Jeanie DEFENDS her team she's arrogant? There is so much Laker hate going around it's ridiculous. God forbid they go through a rebuild. News flash sports media (ESPN), it happens to every team sometime. I mean, the Lakers have went through this before and it takes time. Why belittle the team AND it's fans to make it seem like we give a shhh that we're not in the finals every year? All read on message boards are people talking smack, I guess that what happens when three quarters of the league is used to sucking (and their fans). Take your shots now, I guarantee it won't last forever.

3. LooN3y

LooN3y - Rookie -

Anyone feel like

Jimmy Buss = Commodus

Jeanie = Lucilla

Kobe = General Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Northern armies and the True Defender of Rome, Fulfilling a dream of their last great leader:

Jerry = Marcus Arelius

4. fabulus

fabulus - Rookie -

Yeah I'm glad she feels that way and love Jeanie as the leader of this franchise. But that was a stupid way to express that. For top talent in the league (those in their prime now) you wanna be confident that the organization will do what it takes to win first-difficult argument to make with the Kobe contract. Then you wanna know that you're not committing yourself to a long-term situation where you have to literally battle Kobe (and the organization) day in day out to be The Guy. You'd have to be confident that your game would gel with Kobe's so much that you two would win and enjoy playing together. The risk is that you give up a lot and he doesn't to make the situation work and the owners continue to back Kobe. Who would want to risk that if they didn't have to? It's not a situation most would be comfortable with. Chris Paul seems to have been, but he and Kobe would've been superb together without either having to go out of their comfort zones. Jeanie and Kobe both have to recognize the message they've sent and continue to send to other top talent in the league. I'm willing to suffer the consequences of this as a fan because I want Kobe to retire a Laker. But let's be honest here about the choice the Lakers have made and the consequences.

5. TylerCaviar

TylerCaviar - Rookie -

Good move Jeanie! Tired of BSPN and its biased view of sports. Abbott deserves four fresh ones to the side of his face! Incase you don't get that it's four fresh smack marks from the back of my hand!

6. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    That's a pretty darn good analogy

7. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

This is exactly what's happening. Lakers have been good/great/the best almost every season since 96/97-2010, and pretty much every season from '91 on back. Now we're in an extended period of being mediocre to awful and people feel safe to take shots. Many people hate our success, hate us as fans, hate Kobe, and now they're loving this bad period for us.

It won't last foever though, rebuilds happen as you said. They don't happen often for us though, we seem to get almost no slack when it comes to rebuilds. When we had the last one in '05-'07 the media ignored it. Kobe got so much hate for not having a winning team, when he should have gotten praise for getting those horrible freakin teams to the playoffs at all.

Anyway, I'm going on a rant here, but the point is, people have waited for us to be down so they could kick us. Jeanie said we need to let some stuff play out, and reiterated that the FO is on a 3 year plan, this won't be fixed overnight. We will be good again though, so yeah, let the haters get their shots in now. I only hope Kobe is appreciated like he should be down the line at least, when he's inducted in the HOF and such. I hope the media can look back and say they hated on him too much and he should have been celebrated more, but eh, that'll be the day I guess.

8. havoc33

havoc33 - Rookie -

That ESPN article was a total hack. Even most Laker haters have admitted that it was wildly speculative. Loved how Paul George called them out on it as well. I mean this is a dude who was quoted before signing his extension with the Pacers that it would "very hard to say no to Kobe". Kobe is is idol, and LA is his hometown. Yet the article wants us to believe otherwise... yeah right. Good on PG for setting the facts straight.

lakerjones likes this.
  9. LooN3y

LooN3y - Rookie -

i want more likes :(

Lakersball likes > Facebook likes

TIME and therealdeal like this.
  10. LooN3y

LooN3y - Rookie -

People should know when they're defeated (ESPN)

Maximus/Kobe: Would you quintis, Would I?

All my life i lived by a code, and the code is simple: Honor the legends, Love the game, and defend the basket

therealdeal likes this.
  11. ElginTheGreat

This was another good point she made that none of the talking heads could really answer. Who would you give the money to if not Kobe? Who outside of Lebron and Melo That were available are worth that kind of cash? Plus we still have flexibility moving forward.

lakerjones and LTLakerFan like this.
  12. ElginTheGreat

And I remain unconvinced of any of these reasons why free agents wouldn't come. First they wouldn't come because we aren't a premier franchise any more. Then they wouldn't come because of Kobe. Now they won't come because of Jeanie.

Its all just the media finding ways to kick the Lakers while we are down.

Contrary to popular belief, there are plenty of guys who like Kobe. Even Dwight would probably still be in a Laker uniform if we had gotten Phil instead of Pringles.

Which brings up another point, why aren't Espn and other media outlets talking more about players not wanting to play for D'Antoni? We have guys on the record stating that. Jeanie said that D'Antoni's plans were built around Nash as many of us had thought. No one is going to question why he was building the team around an aging point guard instead of Kobe or Dwight?

Nah. Just blame Kobe...or now Jeanie.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    lakerjones, LTLakerFan and John3:16 like this.
  13. ElginTheGreat

I wouldn't be shocked if the member of the Lakers who leaked stuff was D'Antoni.

Battle Tested20 likes this.
  14. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

That would be hilarious :D

15. DjBelvedere

DjBelvedere - Rookie -

:D ... that could be true. Or maybe it's Duhon. Remeber when he was always interviewed after games in the 12-13 season despite not having a role whatsoever?

So basically we have that 2-3 year window now. But with her at the top I have a good feeling about our organization. Maybe some tough years ahead but she had a point when she mentioned everything about the TV deal, marketing etc. that she put on of the best if not the best infrastructure so to speak in place. Now Jim and Mitch have to do their job and if not we'll find a solution. After all those interviews I feel a lot better.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  16. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

The only part I thought was heavy-handed was her threat to fire the person who "leaked" information to Abbot. :D

The rest I thought was well handled.

lakerjones likes this.
  17. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

^^^ :D Yeah, I actually dug that part so I was into it. Can the fool who talks trash! Not that I'm even sure there actually is one, however. Abbot's sources? Dubious to say the least.

18. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Yes, that would be comical. lol

19. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

As a fan I love the passion!

But as an employee if I heard that, I'd be worried about my job... Not that I would be the informant, but it's a fickle thing to get fired for. What if I was just having a conversation with a buddy who ended up using what I said as a source? Even if it was just a small thing? I'd be nervous...

20. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

I love Jeanie and I'm glad she came out and defended Kobe. I really think she could end up being as iconic as her father some day. That said, I do think there's probably more truth to the Abott story than some on here are willing to accept. I do get the sense that Kobe is more of a deterrent these days (especially with that crippling contract) than an attraction. And for as much as I like to rag on Dwight Howard, his leaving without us getting anything in return really hurt, and I do believe that had a lot to do with Kobe not listening to him or trying to find some middle ground with the big baby.

And look, I'm a Kobe apologist. I love the guy, how could I not after everything he's done? But it's possible to love a guy, defend a guy and appreciate a guy while also acknowledging that he does have some drawbacks. And right now, his presence on the team and his bloated contract might be hurting us, going forward. And whether or not this is true has nothing to do with whether or Jeanie should have (and did) defend him on the radio.

fabulus likes this.