Ivica Zubac Discussion: Zu's Gonna Clip

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Lakers2015, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

I think Zu is just out of shape. He has slimmed down a little but has probably not done much conditioning. He looks winded after no time out all. I'm sure this is a quicker pace then what we played at last year. He needs to be out running the sand dunes everyday till training camp. He's never had quick feet or a high jump, so I don't expect that to change. I'm a little concerned about his butterfinger hands but I think that plays into the fatigue factor also.

Zu is a hard worker and I expect he knows his fitness level is not going to cut it. Let's see what kind of shape he comes into training camp with. I fully expect it to be much better. Zu may not be a star but he's capable of much more then he's showing out there.

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Actually he's struggled holding on to the ball which is my biggest complaint of all the things he's done in Summer League. I understand the pace being difficult, I understand these small guys giving him some issues with their quickness, but he's fumbling passes and rebounds at a much higher rate than he has basically since we started seeing him this time last year. He's shooting just 44.8% from the field. I think most of it is conditioning and being uncomfortable running the floor this much, but boy does it highlight how much we needed that Brook Lopez trade. We were ready to hand Zubac the starting role and he's showing he's just not ready for that.

3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i wasn't ready to hand zubac the starting role.

Purp n Gold likes this.
  4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Neither was I, but many were saying he'd start over Mozgov. I had Mozgov penciled in and I think he'd actually look serviceable next to Ball, but Lopez is a great fit.

Purp n Gold, LTLakerFan and alam1108 like this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, i'm eager to see ball work with lopez, who's smart and can score in lots of ways.

6. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

his speed isn't my issue as other noted we knew he's slow but its the "softness" that I'm not liking.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  7. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Good news is he got asked and kept it real on what's going on. I saw some good things from him.. With ball out lets see the mindset he comes out with tonight.

All well need him for possibly during the regular season is 10 minutes.. Has to battle Bryant and Randle/Nance who will get minutes at the 5 when we go small-small as well.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  8. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

2nd half tonight from Zu was an encouraging way to finish summer league. He was grabbing boards, he was making his jumper AND gimmes he was missing before, had a nice block. He can still turn it around, training camp is not for a while, gotta get to work in the gym.

9. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Yeah, he's just a little too soft in the paint for my liking.

Needs to be more physical with his size and start moving people around.

10. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Missed some defensive rebounds tonight, but he was solid tonight. Still a ton to work on and needs to hold onto the ball better.

SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  11. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Considering we were out tonight with lonzo,hart and pj i think Zu had a solid game. Decinitely something to build upon last two games.

12. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    I bet you can't slide a sheet of paper under his feet on a jump shot. But he played decent tonight. Not sure this effort is gonna fly in the regular season. We might have to go small ball with Randle, Nance or Kuz at the Center spot when Lopez goes out a lot more than we want. or Bryant.

SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  13. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Just weird seeing Zubac regress. He had a decent game tonight, even a pick and pop J at the stripe. Zubac's shots off the post look flat. Missing that reliable mid-range game from the sides and the glass which he has shown before. Zubac ran the floor OK...did not look like an unsteady lamp post.

therealdeal likes this.
  14. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Well, he contributed to the championship.

15. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Not happy at all seeing Zubac regress. He should be working out like a madman. Working out is one thing but handling the ball inside is another. I know he's got good hands so it's got to be a lack of practice. Or correct practice. We need Luke to work with him frankly, he's our best guy for bigs to do that aspect.

16. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

He did. Good for him. Showed glimpses, if only glimpses, again of how he does fight hard and block and have that soft touch for a big man and some skills. When you look at it this really was the best time ever for a smack in the face wake up call. Zu wants to stay a Laker like no other. Now that is seriously in jeopardy. All of a sudden he's going to have to bring it like a player in a contract year. Good news is he's got 3 months to work his a** off.

:Chewie:

SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  17. gcclaker

^The strangest thing before all of this was Lopez was quoted to be impressed with Zubac's regimen and training...

LTLakerFan likes this.
  18. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I think this now etched in stone Showtime / Lonzo & Showtime part deux pace Magic and Luke want the game played at with as little ball sticking as possible, caught him unaware of the fact he's not in the cardio shape he probably thought he was. Based on last year and on his whole basketball experience. This is a different beast of a system. And it is going to be FUN!!!!!

gcclaker likes this.
  19. gcclaker

Speaking of ball sticking, if Zubac plays with Clarkson on the second team, he can catch his breath.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  20. Purp n Gold

Purp n Gold - Rookie -

I love the kid, but we are definitely still fine tuning his expectations right now. Sure, he looks like a starter on a team that's trying to tank for a top-3 pick. But I'm feeling like the team is trending upward faster than Zu has grown in a year. His playing time could take a back seat. I am in no way casting him off, I want him on the squad. But he needs time. And if we indeed improve this year, he might not get all of it on the varsity squad.

LTLakerFan likes this.