Ivica Zubac Discussion: Zu's Gonna Clip

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Lakers2015, Jun 23, 2016.

1. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

If we have our center scoring 18-20 a game with the threat of the 3, Lakers have a shot at making some noise this year. Factor in the mental midgets all being gone? It's gonna happen. Clarkson and Randle are the last of the low IQ players but they still can have a role if they adjust. I believe we find that out quickly once the season starts.

2. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

You are falling into the nice guy pit. I get it. We start to like guys like Nwaba and Black and the guys who play hard. Problem is they suck when it comes to winning. Zubac showed he has BB smarts last year as a rookie. The reason he is bad this year is he cant catch up to the 4 moves ahead of everyone Lonzo Ball. Zubac struggles is more adapting to the flow then actually being out of shape. It's part of it but it's mostly timing where he is off. Thats why he has turned into Kwame Brown and Dwight Howard with his hands in the Summer League.

3. jbiggs

jbiggs - Rookie -

Event Operations for the San Diego Padres
    did zu maybe get a little big headed about his success this last season? did he maybe enjoy himself a bit too much this offseason (which in a way I dont blame him for)? i hope for his sake that this is just some extreme rust/conditioning and that by training camp he will be a semblance of what we remember from him last season.

Barnstable likes this.
  4. Magnum_BI

Magnum_BI - Rookie -

Xraying
    lol didn't know you'd take it in that direction, but in that aspect i agree. Zubac is a guy im rooting and want to see succeed. I hope he just uses the experience as fuel for the offseason and into camp.

5. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Black is capable of playing in this fast pace tempo we've seen them use in the Summer League. I don't get why him fouling out or not has anything to do with it. He is a competent roll man and can finish around the hope while playing decent defense on the other end. He's a bit undersized but he would have been a serviceable back up.

CarolinaLakerFan and sirronstuff like this.
  6. SeasonVet24

SeasonVet24 - Rookie -

Soft as charmin so far.

Hoping he will bring it tonight, but I highly doubt it.

7. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

He needs to lose weight plain and simple.

8. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

That an 1 foul he had against the nets player last nite where he just turned his body sideways was pathetic and pretty much epitomizes his gm so far in these sl gms

9. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

We'll see his response tonight if at least more fire for as long as he can go. Give us that and then work into shape. Boom. In just a 10 day period his amazing and fun ride with the Lakers is now staring him in the face with how his position can be in jeopardy. He's seen Magic work his disappearing act with a number of teammates already. Rooting for him of course.

sirronstuff likes this.
  10. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Played a really good first half. Then played maybe his worst half in the second half. He's frustrated, complaining a lot with his own teammates, and he's just incapable of playing at this pace right now. I don't know if he'll ever be able to play at this pace honestly.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  11. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Zubac playing like his shoes are nailed to the floor (Chickism). Yelled at the tube for having the rebound knocked out of his hands. Asked for the ball but was easily moved out of his spot. Mystery of the Summer League...

Battle Tested20 and therealdeal like this.
  12. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    I didn't see the game, but I'll be watching later tonight. Checking the boxscore, looks like Zu played well. 12 and 7 in 20 minutes. 5 for 7 from the field.

13. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Looks lost out there and the Mavs took advantage of him. Portland has a more orthodox line up with two bigs who work inside. Zu has to take advantage of his size against Swanigan and company

LTLakerFan likes this.
  14. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

First half, he was good. He started out attacking the basket to dunk. He attempted to block shots like he used to, even if he got the foul called, it was good to see. 2nd half it was a layup line for the Mavs with him in the paint. As soon as he was in they went on their run. Pretty much as soon as he went back out, we stabilized. So. Bad.

therealdeal and Cookie like this.
  15. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Fatigue set in at half?:Byronbye:

Cookie likes this.
  16. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
  17. The Showtime Mamba

The Showtime Mamba - Lakers 6th Man -

It seems that Moz was clinically efficient in his mentorship of Zubac. Zubac may be starring with him Deng and DAR in Magic's new sequel to "The Expendables"

I hope he can find some heart and get out of this rut. This acetylene pace must be an anathema to him though.

[​IMG]

Khmrp likes this.
  18. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    First half was good. Not like well need him for a lot of minutes. Semi-optimistic.

19. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    Last year so much enthusiasm for Zubac as he was totally unexpectedly good.

This year he talked about dominating and he has looked like a dinasour out there, soft and slow. Can't do anything on either end, especially his rebounding has been terrifyingly bad. Right now he looks like a fringe NBA player who could be out of the league in 2 years.

With that said, its just SL and it means nothing. Nevertheless he has been disappointing even if his offense is coming along in the later stages of the competition.

OmarE likes this.
  20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i'm not seeing it as negatively as, well, everyone else.

i think he's a bit out of shape, and i think he's pressing, which is leading to mistakes. he's having trouble handling the expectations.

many of the things people liked about him are still there: good hands, pretty solid offensive fundamentals, can step out and hit shots, finishes with either hand from about 12 ft in, sometimes on the move, which is tough for someone that big.

his feet have never been quick. they weren't quick last year. he's never been able to jump.

in short, i think the difference between this year and last year is largely psychological. expectations will be (appropriately) ratcheted down, and we might find he recovers nicely into a legit nba center. i never bought the star narrative about him, anyway. if he could do all the things laker fans were hoping for, he'd have been a top 3 pick.

KB24, Cookie and LTLakerFan like this.