Ivica Zubac Discussion: Zu's Gonna Clip

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Lakers2015, Jun 23, 2016.

1. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to see Zu go, especially for so little in return. I do think that they wanted to move Beaz after his blow up with Walton. I don't think they planned on keeping and paying Zu next year so I get that. Hopefully we can pick up someone good who got waived. I believe they wanted that opportunity as well. Remember too that McGee was griping about lack of PT when we were showcasing Zu for trades. I'll miss Zu, he was balling hard and showing his potential. Ah well.

KB24, gcclaker, LTLakerFan and 3 others like this.
  2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

honestly, could have waived beas and picked up a better player than muscala behind home depot. pretty bad move.

trodgers, KB24, wcsoldier81 and 3 others like this.
  3. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
  4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'

Damn Zu. I didn’t know it was like that.

trodgers, KB24, abeer3 and 4 others like this.
  5. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

@Doc Brown I don't read it that way. The Clippers made it clear that Zu would be their starting center when he arrived. A new arrival who's still on a rookie contract and taking over the starting spot can ruffle feathers on some teams. Apparently his new teammates are cool.

6. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

this is a trade we'll regret...unless of course we never had any plans to re sign him....not bringing back lopez side effect

7. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

We floated his name in trades with the Pels...they wasn't interested. He would be difficult to S&T...so we find him a new spot post-Boban.

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to pair dude with AD, but maybe DJ or Boogie come on the cheap...

sirronstuff likes this.
  8. Kou

Kou - Lakers 6th Man -

Should of just traded him for a second rounder if we didn't want him.

Kenzo, KB24 and Cookie like this.
  9. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    When you’ve drafted as well as we have the last couple of years, you can’t end up keeping everyone. Some of the guys will prosper elsewhere, and some we’ll regret letting go if the reason behind it doesn’t work out.

We’re trying to win championships or position ourselves with assets or flexibility’s to obtain championship pieces. If it’s successful, those moves will be looked at mostly favorably. If not, we’ll question them.

Recent lost pieces

Clarkson
    Nance
    Randle
    DLO
    Zubac
    Svi

Some good pieces there

Part of me would loved to have trotted out

Ball
    DLO
    BI
    Randle
    Zubac

With Kuz/Hart as 6-7 men

But that would take serious patience, and we didn’t take that route. We brought in solid vets to show our young guys the way and positioned ourselves to contend quickly. We’re probably ahead of the game because of it.

trodgers, abeer3 and alam1108 like this.
  10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, i don't think it's reasonable to be THAT patient (we'd have lost a LOT of games with that roster). i just find it annoying that none of the good drafting has been lost in a way that clearly led to a foundational piece. i know everyone claims DLO made lebron happen (i disagree), but right now, your list is a bunch of guys replaced by air. i don't think people would be mad if all of those guys were packaged at once for an allstar-level player. but to think that most of the "fruits" from those decisions are essentially nada, it's frustrating.

i mean, our good pick of zubac and two years of development resulted in a guy we could have nabbed in FA for very little.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  11. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Yeah, hard to like that move for sure.
    And the DLO
    And the Randle moves

***sigh***

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

it's important to clarify that it's not like these are franchise-dooming in and of themselves. it's that we have failed to aggregate any of this value to bring back greater value. failures of this sort (losing odom and gasol for nothing) are what led directly to the darkest period in franchise history, imo.

i think in terms of: what if dlo or nance or clarkson or all three could have been moved for a tobias harris-level player, and that player might have been the one that (in conjunction with other assets) brings the big fish.

davis was an attempt in this vein, but we haven't made enough of those in recent years. and eventually, the young talent ages out and has to be paid or moved.

trodgers, revgen, LTLakerFan and 3 others like this.
  13. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

It was the same thing 4 years ago when we could have taken a chance on IT but were too busy chasing big names we had no chance to sign .

IT resulted in Kyrie ...

Different FO , about same the results , absolutely no ability to build a real team .

Create cap space , try to sign the big fishes , if failure , try again next season ...

abeer3 likes this.
  14. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Right, all this team knows how to do is swing for the fences, there’s no in-between. And I don’t mean like Deng or Mozgov, those were bad deals, we don’t need to do stuff like that. But stuff that you mention like IT when he was a 2nd tier free agent who was interested in us and we pass, that’s a player that could have helped us during the rebuild, and again like you say, been a trade asset a trade worst. We needed to try and make moves to get to the playoffs again that would lead to us landing better players, same as we did in the early 90’s that led to us landing Shaq and then trading for pieces to put around him and Kobe. We did it to a lesser degree with the Pau trade, the Ariza trade, etc during the Kobe years, Pau wasn’t a superstar when we got him, but he was an 1 time all-star player that we knew could fit right in and help us. Now it’s paul George or nothing. Kawhi or nothing. Durant or Klay or Kyrie, or AD or nothing. No middle ground. Now I get people complaining about us not going after players like Beal, you need to start somewhere and get back to what winning feels like.

And on a different but still relevant subject, what about our first round pick this season? I know Moe got hurt early, but is he still not ready? Is he not who we thought he was? Does he not fit? It’s a waste of a first round pick when the player you take can barely get into a game in garbage time.

revgen, LTLakerFan and KB24 like this.
  15. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Moe >>> Muscala.

Kenzo likes this.
  16. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    Muscala couldn't get minutes on the team most desperate for shooting in the entire NBA (Philly) and Pelinka is excited about his shooting lol.

:Lonzoreally:

Kenzo, trodgers and sirronstuff like this.
  17. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    Could have used Zu last night, but we salary dump our good players so we can have scrubs take their place.

tada, revgen, Cookie and 4 others like this.
  18. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Oof

revgen and Cookie like this.
  19. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

If "they couldn't afford Zubac this summer" means Anthony Davis is coming, then I can live it. Otherwise, it doesn't make much sense.

20. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

I’ve thought our front office had done a decent job of cleaning up errors from the previous mistakes. I thought Rob had to be good because Kobe wouldn’t hire a dope and Magic had done well in his business endeavors. If they really traded Zu because they couldn’t pay him next year, I mean come on...I need to re-evaluate the skill level of our front office.

KB24, SamsonMiodek, tada and 5 others like this.