Ivica Zubac Discussion: Zu's Gonna Clip

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Lakers2015, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

^ present. Official Zu doubter/hater right here. Great game, if he keeps it up... he'll get more PT on another team.

D-Fish Man likes this.
  2. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Hmm, are we sure we want to lose him? He plays so good with our other kids.

sirronstuff and LTLakerFan like this.
  3. Kenzo

I would like to keep him but since Bi's and Zo's trade value is basicly ZERo, we might not have a choice.
    Also Kuz should be the "untouchable one" in trade talks.

D-Fish Man likes this.
  4. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    I'd keep Zubac at minimum...if he wants more, I wouldn't bother.

He is a great kid as I have said many times...but these games aren't ever going to be the norm for him. My main gripe is his defense. Not strong enough to D up the bigs and too slow-footed for today's day and age where most teams go small. Zubac would have been awesome 10 years ago when the bigs disappeared and the game was still somewhat slow and inside-out.

The game is moving in a different direction unfortunately. And I do love Zubac and have always supported him because he is a genuine Laker fan and an overall great kid.

5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Crazy talk with Zo having no trade value. If you can't see his improvement in the flashes getting inside and going to the hole and what that should be like later this year and then next (with health ... always) on top of all the other things he does well .... you should watch more carefully.

More to the point he should be kept a Laker.

6. Kenzo

^ never said i wanted to trade him but you're kidding yourself, if you think we can get an allstar for Zo or Ingram.
    Btw, if i had to pick one kid i would trade, it would be Ingram (not because i don't like him but because of the poor fit).

7. LTLakerFan

I'm not saying that either but "zero trade value" says to me a player is just lousy and he's amazing for a 20 year old when he has it going.

8. Kenzo

I love Zo but im fairly sure, he's regarded as a "C" player around the league. I don't think many GM's would send anything of value our way for Zo. I hope we'll never find out though.

9. LTLakerFan

That all changes with more conversions at the rim which are coming I'm certain and decent FT shooting and more consistency. Basketball IQ sky high.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  10. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    I agree that Zo doesn't have enough value for an all-star.

You'd get an all-star for him if the all-star is a FA in 5 months or if Zo would show potential to be better at a later stage in his career. As of right now no All-star is available that will be an FA (GS, Boston, Philly etc. ain't trading Klay, Butler or Irving etc.). And Zo isn't exactly on track to be a future all-star. So he won't net you an all-star. But he does of course have some value to bring in a B -type player like Tobias Harris and guys of his caliber.

In the NBA picks are waaaaaaay overrated. Every GM expects to pick an all-star at 2...we striked out 3 consecutive years, shows you how difficult it is. Players almost never have the same value anymore after they are picked.

#2 Pick = MVP candidate (valuation by NBA teams)
    actual #2 pick = bust (valuation by NBA teams)

Expectations and actual output of a #2 pick just doesn't match.

Its almost every year the case.

11. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Houston’s Capela is out and they are playing really small at C, lets unleash Zubac on them.

12. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

I hope none of them have trade value bc I don't want to trade them. Even old as I am I want to develop our team. We made some great picks and they are starting to show more and more often. We have to build our team and fit LeBron back in. We build everything around Lebron, his health fails and we are building another decade . Panic and desperation are team breakers I want to avoid. When Healthy we are the best team now.

OmarE likes this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

been saying this for years. there have been published analyses of these things. unless you have the #1 pick, you should probably trade it for a starting-caliber player in his prime, because that's the highest expected value for anything short of #1. After the top-5, things get VERY dicey.

of course there are huge hits all over the draft, but it's a real gamble. unless you go full philly, the percentages aren't in your favor. even for them, they had two monumental flops (one of them a top overall pick!) and one guy who looked like he might never play at the beginning of his career.

i wanted to trade the #2 pick before we made it. afterwards, it's not as useful. picks depreciate once they're made like new cars when you drive them off the lot.

it's why boston needs to flip a couple of theirs for future picks if they want to keep being in the mix for AD, etc. the #6 pick sounds sexier than marcus smart...even if it almost never is.

edit:

anyway, this is the zubs thread: good on ya, zoobz! way to hang in there when things were looking bad.

14. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Too bad the modern NBA is what it is... Zubac (and other guys like him) are just not made for this. But when it works, it's a joy to watch. This is a traditional center, kinda slow but smart, with solid post moves, who does the dirty work, blocks shots etc. I know he can drop 20 on Houston, who is going to stop him?

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

problem is the value of the three and the issues true bigs have defending three-heavy offenses. it's hard to punish them enough inside to catch up with what you're giving up on d. even marc gasol's squad is starting to feel the impact, and he was one of the last bastions of old school bigs. maybe someone will develop a scheme that allows slower bigs to spend more time around the basket area, but nobody has it yet. opposition just finds their man and uses them as a screener. if the big doesn't follow, the ballhandler gets a wide open three or a straight line drive at said big defender.

helping from the wing just leaves another guy open.

that said, i'd try something like that against houston, given their oddball offensive strategy.

16. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

he needs to have another one of this night against Hou w/o Capela around, they're playing Clark at C (clark is their sf)

17. JohnnyComeLately2k6

JohnnyComeLately2k6 - Lakers 6th Man -

Data Vampire Buckaroo
  18. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

He isn't looking that slow lately.

19. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Reminiscent, in some of the moves, of prime Pau. Keeping the ball up...

You go, Zu!!

Barnstable, LTLakerFan and lakerjones like this.
  20. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

I definitely gave up on him too early. Went from being very excited year 1 to ship him out after year 2. Nice to see he took all that negativity and lack of playing time and was able to push through it.