Isaiah Thomas Thread: He’s Gone Again

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

2. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

3. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Scored extremely well, played hard. But we can't keep switching like that with him playing. I mean, he's not suddenly going to become as big and as tall as Hart. Figure it out ASAP.

alam1108, 432J, Kenzo and 9 others like this.
  4. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Switching seems to be the main philosophy Luke uses and it works pretty well wen we don’t have as big a liability as IT out there.

We’re going to have to really change how we play defense now

LTLakerFan likes this.
  5. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I didn’t like that the ball was in his hands to end the game. This is his first game and everyone was standing around watching him.

Nice offensive game, shot decent, tried on defense, but the team needs to stop switching with his man and let him go one on one. He can hold his own.

alam1108, Kenzo, LTLakerFan and 4 others like this.
  6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I mean the obvious answer was pulling him in the 4th when Dallas was making it clear he wasn't going to cut it. Put Hart in. Isaiah wasn't doing much in the 2nd half.

All in all he played fine. I'd give it a B-. He showed flashes of the kind of scorer he can be but obviously was a defensive issue. Still, I think he can be a good contributor for us down the stretch. The guys are just going to have to adjust to him. It'll take a little while.

Socrates, LTLakerFan, TIME and 5 others like this.
  7. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

He played better than I expected overall. His flaws will always be there, but that wasn’t bad for a first performance. I think this will be fine. Just need time.

8. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Yeah, I'd much rather have Hart in there for his D and rebounding to finish the game.

Kenzo, johnnyboy, LTLakerFan and 3 others like this.
  9. JohnnyComeLately2k6

JohnnyComeLately2k6 - Lakers 6th Man -

Data Vampire Buckaroo
    I was quite surprised he was there to end the game, but then again, this could be just to appease his agent.:SadPau2:

10. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

We can't necessarily blame it on the new guy. Luke said he would look at the tape to figure out the defensive switching schemes but when you consider advanced stats, it's really not all on IT for this particular loss.

11. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

It was not all IT. It was switching him onto guys a foot taller than him and then someone leaving their man to go help him, leaving us scrambling. Not switching in the first place is better than switching and screwing ourselves. I put a good share of the blame on KCP actually. I “joked” in game time chat that he should move to Vegas, because he loves gambling so much. Gambling isn’t good defense, it leaves the defense scrambling.

Offensively IT was frickin awesome in the 1st half, but they adjusted and trapped him and such. And he’s not used to our guys and we’re not used to him, so of course in crunch time it turned into ISO ball, and bad turnovers, because the guy hasn’t even practiced with us yet. It was stupid to have him out there to close his first game, with the ball in his hands, Hart should have been out there instead of KCP, and IT should have been off ball spotting up with Ingram running things.

12. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

If only there was someone whose job is to understand these things...

13. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    You kill me. We just won 4 in a row, 12 of 16, and lost two of our rotation players. We lose one game and the pitchfork comes out for Luke.

14. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Yeah, I can't blame IT for tonight's loss. I think our team defense was terrible overall, mostly due to bad execution and not necessarily poor effort.

Having said that, our defense is predicated on switching, and we can't do that with IT in the lineup. If we're going to play him big minutes (25-30 minutes), the need to adjust our entire defensive scheme is a huge concern moving forward.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  15. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    I give him a b- too. He needs to move the ball more and not be a ball stopper. Ball movement and defense is what this team has hung its hat on last 15 games or so and it has been working. He takes away from both those things. I think hes talented enough to adjust the offensive issue. But if he's getting eatin up on D, its Lukes job to sit him, when you have a player like hart on the bench.

16. ElginTheGreat

17. ElginTheGreat

18. ElginTheGreat

19. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

he played well

obviously we all knew he sucks on D but he came in and did what he was supposed to do on the offensive end. too bad the entire team played defense like it was last season

20. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

I only posted it as a response to the slobbering that goes on in the Luke thread.

You guys don't understand my (and others) gripe ...

Luke constantly takes a long time to understand things that are obvious, like Ennis starting or KCP/Randle/Kuzma minutes. You can go to the IT thread, before the Mavs game, and find posters immediately voicing the switching and ISO-at-the-end-of-games concerns that is precisely what happened.

There should be absolutely no f***ing reason the head coach of the LA Lakers doesn't see this and doesn't find, in 2 - 3 days, some sort of solution.

For example, placing the ball in BI's hands at the end of the game and making IT the spot up shooter, instead of stupid ISOs.

So, nope, I maintain that we win despite Luke, at least until he has his (delayed by 2 month, regularly) "AHA" moment.

Again, let me make this clear:

1. I don't care about a particular game (pisses me off, but that's a different discussion)

2. I find it extremely perplexing that someone, who played in the NBA for 10 years under good coaches and was considered high BBQ (LOL) player and has been a coach/asst. coach for like 4 more years, can't see trivial things

3. I find it unlikely that for each such instance there is "something else" going on (like FO interfering and telling to play or not play different players), so the blame should be placed somewhere else

There is a concept called Occam's Razor. To quote Wikipedia:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018