Isaiah Thomas Thread: He’s Gone Again

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    This is good to hear, if true

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

This is pretty much what I figured. If Isaiah recaptures his MVP form then of course he'll start, but if he's playing like he played for the Cavs, he won't. He'll get every opportunity, but it won't be handed to him.

3. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
  4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

So does it look like physically he may or may not be able to be whatever he was while in prime at Boston? If he could get close to 90% even we just might catch lightning in a bottle here.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  5. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

I hope IT will surprise a lot of people
    He looks like a very good dude and no his not cancerous .It was all Lebron's fault

6. sirronstuff

I don’t think he’ll be back physically this year. That’s a lot of time off. If he heals, next year may be a different story though.

But heck, Rose just got cut by the Jazz. Be interesting to see if he has any suitors

7. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
  8. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Can't wait to see our team playing tonight. It seems IT is willing to help in any way he can; he should fit in as a scorer first, playmaker second. I'm not sure if he can get to 100% any time soon, but we can use whatever he can give us right now. Our guys are ready to compete and maybe even make some noise late in the season. I mean... if we had this team from the beginning - and healthy - we'd end up in the playoffs for sure.

9. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

This is going to sound a little wtf'ish, but hear me out.

It wouldn't be all that bad to have Zo coming up off the bench with IT in the starting lineup. Now I know its going to be blasphemous to even consider it and I know just how much it could deter our defense (in which case, you scrap the idea asap)....but why not give it a try in the interim, cause it will also give Zo time to ease into playing after a long layoff. Not to mention MCL sprains do linger, so its best that we ease him in. Anyways, here is my justification of it.

First of all, he's a rookie and thanks to that giant Ennis, we were forced to hand him the keys. Now we have depth with IT and with Zo to the bench, it should encourage him to be more competitive to earn his starting spot back. Added bonus is that it gets Lavar upset (when is he not?). Last time Lavar got upset with Luke's coaching, we went on a tear..so double win!

Next, this allows IT not to angle to take over KCP's spot in the starting lineup and that protects us with the Klutch/LaBron angle.

So a starting lineup of IT, KCP, BI, Jules, BLo can still have BI handle the rock and play that point forward role. Not to mention Jules can also spot him some minutes in that role if we want to push tempo. Jules and BI can attack the paint as they do, while IT, KCP and BLo help stretch the floor (although that's not ideal shooting that you want around BI and Jules).

Then with Zo coming up off the bench, you have him with Brew, Hart, Kuz and Frye. That's our athletic push tempo squad with pesky defenders on the wing. Zo and Hart can both rebound well and push the pace and with Hart shooting well from outside as of late, that gives you Hart, Kuz and Frye out on the perimeter to stretch the floor for Zo to operate and play pick n roll in. Plus this gives that "white-skinned connection" some extra run with each other.

Also now with the trade deadline gone, you can start giving more minutes to Jules. Jules can move to small ball 5 in the second unit and allow us to not heavily rely on Frye.

Lastly this shows other potential stop gap free agents that are sympathizing with IT (on an expiring deal), how LA is unlike Boston and Cleveland, in that we gave an opportunity for IT to shine in order to earn the most lucrative contract he can get. Since Mag/Rob took over, we have sent Lou and JC to playoff teams. Sent DLo and Moz to a great market, where DLo can live that life off the court as well and Moz has a huge Russian demographic out there to lean on. And of course we sent Nance home.

We are doing what good management should do. I'm sure other players and their agents are taking notice. If we fulfill our 2018plan, then we're still going to need cheap players on short term deals to round out the roster. Players know that the spotlight of LA while playing with LaBron and George will get them paid in the long run...but those same guys will think twice in coming to LA if we have poor player relations. Lets also assume that if the 2018plan doesn't come to fruition (gulp), we're going to need some stop gap options and the way we treat IT, KCP and Brookie is going to be vital in creating those type of options for us moving forward.

Oh, did I mention Lavar would blow a gasket if he sees his boy coming off the bench.

10. JohnnyComeLately2k6

JohnnyComeLately2k6 - Lakers 6th Man -

Data Vampire Buckaroo

@Barnstable I'm not sure where this should go in the LB Analytics section.

11. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

I think it is actually good here, and could be also reposted somewhere else. Solid analysis.

12. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

The first part about not attacking as much also has to do with coming into a brand new team as maybe the 2nd or 3rd option, when in Boston, he was clearly the 1st while also handling distribution.

He could still maintain that type of play in place of Caruso or Ennis off the bench, and Hart moves back to SG.

13. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I honestly just don't know if he'll be able to do it because mentally and physically he still looks hesitant when I watch him. He wants to be aggressive and he wants to prove himself, but a lot of times (LFR does a good job pointing it out) he's just not been able to do what he wants out there.

I'd love for him to come in and be a rock star, but we'll just have to wait and see. I'll keep my expectations low, but hopefully he can at least replicate what Jordan gave us.

14. LTLakerFan

[​IMG]

It's night and day the treatment and opportunity rather than being treated like meat that IT got in Boston and bad situation maybe not all of his making he got in Cleveland vs the opportunity he will get here to shine and resurrect a pretty shot reputation at the 11th hour of the most important contract year of his life. I think you're spot on. We really did well with location for DLO and especially Nance and if Jordan had to go my god what better than to go with a guy like Nance to keep him dialed in straight and appreciative of his lot in life PLUS his first shot at the playoffs and playing with a legend. We haven't screwed anybody.

15. JohnnyComeLately2k6

JohnnyComeLately2k6 - Lakers 6th Man -

Data Vampire Buckaroo
  16. sirronstuff

The comment section :Laugh:

C10175E6-5B2D-47D5-8CC4-60AA6453B340.jpeg

alam1108, Barnstable, tada and 6 others like this.
  17. LTLakerFan

I have this tickle in my sphincter muscle about this acquisition. If a 5'9" midget with a chip on his shoulder all his life rose his a** up last year to play that kind of MVP conversation worthy season .... you know he has an attitude to take negative comments from all his detractors and use them as fuel. He's been getting killed in the talking heads interviews and on line with all the doubt again since cut loose after what he did for Boston last year. Seems like a cat like Kobe in that regard. I like all that I'm reading above especially the willingness to fit in and win and that his body is coming around. Hopefully it's all true no lies.

:Sunglassguy:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  18. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

I wanted IT to be a Laker a couple years ago. Very happy he is here and hope he gets a legitimate shot. He is a incredible talent with a lot of heart. The transformation of our team has been swift.

19. sirronstuff

[​IMG] :KobeConfused:

alam1108 and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  20. LTLakerFan