Isaiah Thomas Thread: He’s Gone Again

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Feb 8, 2018.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Both trades did multiple things, but okay.

2. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

IT came into a situation where he was isolated, playing on a team that already had a system that didn't require his skills, and a bunch of players who's hunger to win is no longer there.

He'll have a chance to be a veteran voice on a young team, play for a bigger contract, and in a unselfish system that can utilize more consistent shooting (even though he hasn't done well this season).

Hopefully we can create enough of a buffer against Dallas to try and find ways we can incorporate him immediately. I would expect him to fill the Clarkson scoring role, but also someone that's not Ennis' uselessness.

3. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

Is this IT’s tweet after the trade? The marathon continues? Nothing about thank you Cleveland for the opportunity, looking forward to coming to the Lakers etc. WTH.

I’m hoping that IT can return to his former play. I’m leery of his (IMO) self entitlement and bad attitude.
    It’s easy to be positive when things are going well but how you act in adversity shows more about your character. Yes he was somewhat of the scapegoat in Cleveland but he certainly didn’t help the situation by calling out his teammates and his terrible play. If he can help Zo out with scoring and play making, that will be great. But if he becomes a source of conflict in the locker room or court, he can park his butt on the bench. Sorry buddy but no one is backing up the Brinks truck for you at this time.

4. therealdeal

This was the first thing he posted after the trade.

5. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    I could see a 1+1 type of contract with a team option, but he needs to show a full healthy year before anyone backs up anything other than a garbage truck. That’s just good business.

It would crack me up if the only team stepping up with a great offer was Sacramento though

:Laugh:

6. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

I'm excited. Very talented and a perfect fit for out system. Lot of up side not much down. He doesn' work out we still have our cap room.. I think he will end up being a big plus.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  7. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    This was the tweet after we won the game.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and Cookie like this.
  8. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Perfect as in chucks up shots and plays no D?
    Our fast pace will suit him though.

9. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Sounds like KCP.

10. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

He makes those chucks tho, and his D is in the passing lanes. I think he will fit in. I hope. I was one that wished the Lakers had gotten him after his stint in Sacto, so I may be biased.

Toklat and KareemtheGreat33 like this.
  11. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

@vasashi17 I don't disagree, but we gave up quite a lot too. Clarkson and Nance are young quality players. I'm sure they'll fit in better than IT and Frye. As for Boston, yeah, they are a bunch of scumbags.

@therealdeal I wouldn't be surprised if he returns to 2017 IT, but I wouldn't bet it on it. I think the odds are much lower than 50/50. There's a reason why the Cavs attached a 1st rd pick to dump him.

@abeer3 I don't think our FO is stupid enough to sign him long-term... at least I hope not. At best he's our plan B to PG/Lebron.

abeer3, Cookie and lakerjones like this.
  12. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Defensively this is going to suck and I hope Luke can figure something out cause we won't be able to switch everything with IT out there.

Barnstable, Cookie and lakerjones like this.
  13. therealdeal

I would be surprised if he made it all the way back there, but for his and our sake I hope so! All I really want is some energy. When he was at his highest abilities, Isaiah brought an incredible amount of passion to the floor. I want him to be relentless off the bench for us.

Then I probably want him gone this summer. :D

I like Isaiah, but we need big fish and if not, then he gets a one-year deal worth some cash so we can go chase Klay or Kawhi in 2019.

14. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Thomas absolutely needs to play well, because he wants to get paid. Everyone will be watching him: how well can he play with other, younger guys? Can he be unselfish, yet productive, etc.? It is in his best interest to fit in. And for us, it's a win-win situation. He helps us get a better record, maybe mentor our guards... And then we let him walk, so that he can get paid in the offseason.

15. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers 6th Man -

and it begins :Noddingyes:
    The Jump's Tracy McGrady comments on Isaiah Thomas being traded to Los Angeles saying I don't see him fitting with the Lakers.

16. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Even if he does return to form I'm doubtful that he'll have the same impact under Luke. IT benefited greatly under Stevens who had to architect the offense around IT because they had no other good offensive player at the time. His numbers and perceived value were inflated as a result, similar to Nash with the Suns, but worse because he lacks the shooting (efficiency), passing and height that Nash had.

I do thInk he's worth somewhere around $15M, but no more.

17. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

the green turds also played really good team D and that really helped IT stay on the floor, he can start for now till Ball comes back but I wouldn't continue to start him when ball is fully healthy. Best case for me is Hart starts at the 2 and KCP is the bench to so he can help a bit with IT defensive woes, most of our bench players aren't very good defenders.

18. therealdeal

I would be very, very surprised if KCP went to the bench. Until Ball gets back I think you get Thomas/Pope/Ingram/Randle/Lopez. Once Ball is back you get Ball/Pope/Ingram/Randle/Lopez. That unit just makes the most sense. You bring out Thomas/Hart/Kuzma off the bench? Holy crap. They should runs teams off the court.

19. therealdeal

I agree, but at the same time, if we just take the handcuffs off and give him the reins off the bench he can come in and just go nuts. Push the pace, get out and run, and fly around. That'll suit Thomas really, really well.

I'm not trying to rely on him for the whole game, you know? And if he's cold, we just leave him on the bench like we do with everyone else.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and tada like this.
  20. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

As much as we complained about Clarkson’s defence, he was tall and he always tried to play defense (often failing)... but sometimes actually being adaquit this season. I seriously doubt we’ll see that from IT. He’s going to be a turnstile out there, and that’s going to frustrate the hell out of me.

IT better get his offense going quickly and be impressive with our fast pace, because he’s going to need to make up for those freebies he gives the other team.