Isaiah Thomas Thread: He’s Gone Again

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Feb 8, 2018.

1. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

@wcsoldier81 If IT believes he'll be completely healthy next season, then he may not be delusional. He may very well be able to do what he did in Boston if he's put in the same position. He knows and has previously stated that he's not 100% yet.

My question with IT is whether his style of play works for us as a starter. From what I've seen in Boston and with us, I don't think it does. It will require changes by Luke and the coaching staff. They'll have to ditch the switch defense we've been using for the last two years and go with man-to-man. Gotta keep IT on the smallest player on the floor defensively at all times. Unfortunately, this team struggles with man-to-man D, especially Julius. Offensively, IT is willing to pass, and he does do a good job of setting brush screens, but has trouble moving the ball quickly. He doesn't understand the idea of passing the ball, moving, and receiving the ball back. This kind of constant ball and man movement is the staple of system offenses. Whether it's Golden State, San Antonio, Jerry Sloan's Utah offense, and even the Triangle.

To be fair, Lebron hasn't exactly been a player who plays that way either, but he's becoming older and playing KD in the Finals has given him perspective. He sees how much less work KD does with the Warriors than he had to do in OKC. I don't think IT understands this yet. He's trying to get his first big $$ contract. Lebron and PG did that years ago. At some point IT will figure out that falling on the floor all the time won't extend his career, but it won't happen anytime soon IMO.

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

It does't hurt and isn't harmful falling such short distances.

:Fishwink:

3. Kobe Bryant 8

Kobe Bryant 8 - Lakers 6th Man -

Hating the C Bags
    Why is he commenting on maybe going back to Boston next year when he's a Laker currently? This dude...

4. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

When was that?

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  5. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. In order for him to have that success, a team has to dedicate everything to him. Does he truly think that's likely right now? And if a team is willing to do that, what position are they in? You're looking at Atlanta maybe. Chicago possibly. Those are two of the worst teams in the league, is he prepared for that? Ultimately, like you said, I think much of this is financially driven. He's a player that touched MVP levels and has never been paid like it.

Unfortunately for him, I'm not sure there's anywhere in the league that'll offer him what he's looking for. Big money, an opportunity to start, and the whole team built around him? I just don't see it. I think it's honestly in his best interest to sign a one year "prove it" deal somewhere where he can play at a high level and can be competitive. If he gets a big money offer somewhere, good for him, but I'll be shocked.

6. Kobe Bryant 8

Kobe Bryant 8 - Lakers 6th Man -

Hating the C Bags
    Check out @isaiahthomas’s Tweet:

7. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

"Anything can happen" means just that. Sure, it could happen, but it's not likely. Kyrie and Horford have player options. They could opt-out and leave, but that's very unlikely to happen.

8. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

I guess Jerry thinks, that C Bags will just "print money" to sign him again. Dude is delusional as hell. He might end up like Marbury... just without the money

9. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

...Steve Francis?

10. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

I don't think he'll start smoking crack... but you never know ;). If he keeps yapping his mouth though and still talk about brink trucks, he might be on his way to China, like Starbury :).

11. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Only 12 more games of this guy, only 12 more games of this guy, only 12 more games of this guy...

:Magic Shaking Head No:

12. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I’m not no NBA starter!

Isaiah (Probably

Khmrp likes this.
  13. Purp n Gold

Purp n Gold - Rookie -

Delusional or... he might be acknowledging his true market value.

abeer3 likes this.
  14. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

So the honeymoon lasted what about 8 games? It's officially over now for sure. Tired of him.

15. Kou

Kou - Lakers 6th Man -

Maybe he should just sticking to his word that he isn't no sixth man when in reality he may be a rotational player at best now?

abeer3 and sirronstuff like this.
  16. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Big mistake opening his mouth followed by someone taking an ugly stick to his game.

He just cost himself millions more on top of his Cavs bellyflop comments.

Not the sharpest tool in the shed or dealing with reality. He went from an underdog you could root for to a dog you want to kick.

17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

there's a reason he got hot-potato-ed as his contract ran short. nobody wanted to be left in this spot.

someone needs to tell him he's got a dozen or so games to shut up and play a part in some wins, else he's heading for a contract smaller than his previous one.

18. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I think that ship has sailed honestly. Watching him right now, who is putting a ton of money into Isaiah Thomas? He might get lucky and get 8 figures for one year from a desperate, bad team, but I honestly don't even think that'll happen. A guy with now limited athleticism who can't turn the corner the way he used to, can't get to the rim consistently, takes bad shots, and wants everything to flow through him? Oh and he's 5'7" and can't defend anything? I mean c'mon. There's no market for that.

I appreciate that he wants to be the greatest version of himself, but the greatest version of himself is a 6th man and honestly sometimes that's a stretch too.

19. gcclaker

...you'd think that other organizations take note of how Thomas conducts himself and take pause about signing him? I understand trying to re-establish himself but I agree with your points about his current physical limitations.

Of course, Thomas will get signed by another team. However, there appears to be none that will make him the focal point IMO like he was once.

20. gcclaker

...just saw a story on Steve Francis. He's battling alcohol addiction. Not good.

Thomas seems more well grounded but finds it difficult to come to terms with his current situation mentally and physically. Our system is not predicated to his success but more of an ensemble or by committee. I don't believe Thomas has had players who are as capable as a Randle, Kuzma or Ingram for whom he has to defer to even if they are younger or not as experienced.

To his credit, he has tried to mesh with their games and try to lead when the opportunity presented itself. I wanted Thomas to be that closer our young core could lean on but unfortunately most of the time hasn't been that.