Isaiah Thomas Thread: He’s Gone Again

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Big Mamma Jamma

Big Mamma Jamma - Rookie -

I agree with this...

One other thing I would add is that IT (Ima Turnstile) just plays absolutely no defense. He acts as though he is an elite scorer and can take defensive possessions off. He's as bad as Harden. I hate no defense more than anything. The other thing I can't stand is his shot selection. It really is piss poor at times. He shoots a three early in the shot clock. That crap just makes me mad. For example, last night, when he'd bring up the ball I don't know how many times I counted that he never moved the ball. He played hero ball and he is not that caliber of player to be able to do that. He thinks he is but he definitely is not.

I never wanted him even if he was okay with being a sixth man.

2. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

That brinks truck ain't coming IT, sorry. That's what happens when you do business with the C Bags. You shoulda never helped recruit for those scumbags.

If ever there was a time for a S&T, this could be IT.

It would be in ITs best interest since it opens up possible destinations that arent currently available. Let's say a team really wants him but they have no cap, a S&T helps them get him. Also a S&T helps him get more brink, cause we traded for him and with that came his Bird Rights. If we renounce his rights this summer, he is restricted in how much brink he can really have.

I get on the phone with Presti and feel out their temp on IT. If it's luke warm, ask what player they would like that's under contract and we could help facilitate a 3 way trade to bring George back home.

Seeing how great our FO is at player relations (ie getting Lou, Bogut, Brew, Clarkson a chance to play for a contender, sending Nance home, sending DLo and Moz to a great market), I can see our FO trying to help IT find a new home.... But obviously it would also have to help our bottom line as well.

I'll let @therealdeal do his "beautiful mind" thing in finding a plausible scenario where a S&T could work and help out everyone involved.

[​IMG]

3. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

At least hes helping us win some gms so ill wish him well with his next team....nyk might have a lot of $ if kanter opts out n they need a legit scoring pg, both mudiay/frank suck terribly on offense...it/kp would be a good duo

4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

5. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Glorified Nate Robinson. In fact, Robinson may have been better, if put in the same position.

f*** off, midget.

6. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

I’d like to retract the last sentence from my earlier statement regarding IT lol

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    tada, abeer3, Cookie and 4 others like this.
  7. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

:Worthywave:

8. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    I find this very offensive since I, like IT am 5'9 :Crazyartest: lol I agree and really hope Magic doesn't resign this guy even if we strike out in free agency.

ZenMaster likes this.
  9. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

Zen, I know you hate IT, but even you know he's better than Nate.

IT is a much better playmaker. Especially in P&R. He's closer to Spud Webb than he is to Nate.

therealdeal and gcclaker like this.
  10. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

So much hate for IT. Not sure why?

He sees himself a certain way, obviously that doesn’t work with where we are at the moment. I hope he can ball out and get his contract and starting position. He has been a great teammate with his time here, battling hard, helping the young guys and contributing to wins.

Ease off on the midget this midget that in my opinion. He clearly is a level above a 6-man. At his best, he is a top 10 offensive player in this league!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    SamsonMiodek likes this.
  11. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Yeah even as a former C-Bag, IT doesn't cunjure up the same nightmareish images in my head as Nate does

[​IMG]

12. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Webb could jump out of the gym...not as good a shooter and playmaker or as shifty.

Nate "Tiny" Archibald came to mind...just four inches shorter. Maybe even Calvin Murphy.

therealdeal and revgen like this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

we rarely disagree, but i disagree here. he was very briefly an offensive force. he was put into an ideal position for success, and to his credit, he capitalized.

but he got hurt (severely), is headed for the wrong side of 30 and on the wrong side of 6ft. he's a sixth man at his point.

i don't dislike him, but he only fits here if he accepts a bench scoring role--and that's the same role i expect everyone to offer him.

14. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Yes, but at his best he's also the worst defender in this league, which makes his net +/- very close to zero.

Big Mamma Jamma likes this.
  15. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

My memory of Webb comes from the 90's.

Webb was actually a decent 3pt shooter in the 90's. From 1990 to 1996 he only had one season where he shot below 30% from 3pt range. He also averaged a 2.65 to 1 AST/TO ratio for his career. IT's career AST/TO ratio is 2.2 to 1.

Unfortunately, I was never able to watch either Tiny or Calvin Murphy play live. They played before my time.

Bottomline, IT is not Nate Robinson. ;-)

16. vasashi17

S&T IT @ 4years 52M to NY
    Frank Ntilikina & Courtney Lee from NY to OKC
    George from OKC to LA

IT gets paid. NY gets their PG/SG that they're craving for and will mentor Mudiay who they traded for at the deadline.
    OKC gets a 3D type in Lee and young defensive minded rookie in Frank. These two can make up for the offensive/defensive void PG will leave behind
    We bring our guy back home.

Win-win-win.

Offer sheet to Jules, bring in LaBron with the rest of our cap. Match Jules. Trade Deng and picks/Zu to Sac (or any cap dumping team) and gain a hefty TPE. Room exception for BLo and with that TPE (about 19.5M) round out the roster. If Brookie doesn't agree to the room exception, go find a rim protector with the TPE.

Pour that roster sauce over ice, garnish it with a Bling cherry and enjoy. Win responsibly.
    :Kobefistbump:

17. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

I agree that he doesn’t fit here, and that’s why I don’t think he’ll stick. For better or for worse, he sees himself as a quality starter that a team can run an offence through.

I can’t fault the man for believing in himself and I refuse to dislike him because he doesn’t agree with our low evaluation of him as a player.

His belief in himself and hard work have made him into what he is against all odds. So many players have more talent and better physical tools than him but aren’t half the player because of that hunger and determination. That’s an admirable quality I believe. Just so happens to also be the reason he won’t be a laker past this season probably.

I see no reason to punish him for it though. I just hope he gives us as many wins as possible and recovers well!

shoe, abeer3, gcclaker and 1 other person like this.
  18. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

I think the problem with most sign and trade scenarios for PG, is that the team with the assets to send to OKC for him, should probably just keep him - not flip him for IT.

19. vasashi17

I should have put up a disclaimer that PG will take the CP3 route and force his way to LA by opting into his 20.7M player option. OKC won't want to lose him for nothing so that NY package is a decent haul and keeps them competitive. IMHO, George wants to come back home and nothing that OKC has done of late makes me think they'll make significant noise in the playoffs...if they even make it there to begin with.

Also IT is looking to get paid and most cap having teams are probably not interested in a 29 year old when most of their roster is young and isn't quite ready to compete yet. So cap strapped teams might be interested and only a S&T facilitates that. New York is looking for that next "name" they can put on the marquee and since the market is dry this summer, maybe they look at IT at slightly under market value this summer to keep Spike and the fans happy. Jarrett Jack is currently mentoring Mudiay, who they just traded for this past deadline...so IT would be a good investment in bringing that kid along. He essentially is a more explosive offensive upgrade to Lee and the Knicks can get creative in having a wing lineup of Mudiay, IT and Hardaway, with the Unicorn and an extended Kanter on the frontline. Plus IT is super petty and I'm sure looking to get back into the same conference as Boston and Cleveland.

The last assumption is in order for LaBron to fit into our cap space under this scenario, he would have to sacrifice anywhere from 2.5-5M off his true max. There is precedence however in that he did it when he first got to Miami and he did it again when he came back to Cleveland.

20. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    It’s prideful, self unaware, and not realistic when coming off of a major injury to make such bold proclamations.

He has been a sixth man most of his career, so to say he no longer will be because he’s too good for that role isn’t the smartest thing to do. It would be better to be quiet and just convince people with your play on the court, but instead, he has now made himself an unattractive option for many teams who might have given him an offer.

I like smart players. IT just raised his hand and said he’s dumb. I’m ok moving on now, and I’ll have no hard feelings.