Isaiah Thomas Thread: He’s Gone Again

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Feb 8, 2018.

1. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

I seriously don't get you guys man. How are you guys still hating on IT2 after last night?

You realize that IT2 is what we've been missing? IT2 has SWAGGER. He is exactly what we've been missing.

I thought he played a masterful game and of course, he took over down the stretch.

I'm rooting hard for IT2 and I hope we bring him back (if we strike out on LeBron). We actually have guys that can cover for IT2 in KCP, Ball, Randle, Ingram/Hart (they're not even playing right now!), etc.

If IT2 accepts a Lou Will role, you gotta bring him back.

Oh, and that crossover on Jokic? The tossing of the ball to Murray at the end? How can you not love that? The guy is a COMPETITOR and he doesn't back down to anybody.

2. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

For one, outside of P&R plays with bigs, he's been inconsistent offensively. Part of that is coming off an injury and part of that is not understanding our offense since he never was with us during training camp.

Two, his small body is not ideal for a switching defense we like to use.

Three, he's likely to demand a larger role (hence more $$) this offseason and another team more desperate than we are may jump on it. He wants the same role he had in Boston. We're probably only going to offer the 6th man role he currently is playing.

The third reason is the deciding factor. Neither Lou Williams or JC were great defenders either, so it's no great loss if IT's size works against him on that end of the floor. I believe his offensive efficiency will improve next season as his body becomes stronger during the offseason.

3. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

I don't think he wants the same role as he had in Boston...because no WINNING team can offer that to him currently.

If he wants to go to a rebuilding team, be our guest. Because that's the only type of teams that can offer him max level money AND that type of role. On the flip side, no rebuilding team is going to want to take on IT2 right now anyway.

But if he wants to play for a contender, he'll have to accept the 6th man role. Only other team that is a contender that he could go to is Philly (and they have the $ to pay him), but I doubt they will go after him with the set up they have. And even then on the Sixers, it'll be a 6th man role, not the role he had in Boston.

I really think he's going to find a way to re-sign with us and it'll be a 1-year deal. You can tell he loves playing in LA and loves playing for the Lakers...and always wanted to be a Laker.

4. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

This IT deal is proof that our FO is winning.

Plan A: Set up a 2max slot.
    Plan B: IT* is a helluva contingency plan if we end up whiffing.

*How the f*** did the FO get the best offensive player in all the Cavs deals AND get a 1st round pick (at a time when the climate dictated them as a premium)?

For all the things @revgen points out, I'm sure y'all have imagined PG in that slot. A legit 2way player that can hit the 3ball (sans his All-star Saturday performance), George can be Mr. 4th quarter and close out games as a playmaker. Put the active hands of Zo and the Kraken hands of BI out on the perimeter, get those deflections, switch everything and no matter who gets the ball off a steal or rebound (Zo, PG, BI, Bron, Bullyius) they all can push the break and run run run. Its going to be fun.

5. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst

6. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

That, and just getting more time to work with the team would do wonders for knowing where players are on the court. He's what, 10-15 games in us, and he's already gellin'?

Other than the obvious mismatches we get from switching, I think he does a good a job as anybody in terms of using his body to defend. As a Plan B for George, he'd certainly fit right in.

7. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    I think the benefit of having a penetrating guard has been eye opening. Our current guys just don't have that as a main skill set. Without it, it's tough to break down the best defenses. So even though IT isn't himself yet, and he gets himself in trouble in traffic, he's opened up the games for our bigs, he's smart, and he's flat out making plays from all over. I appreciate him showing the effort on D even when seriously overmatched.

8. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

I wouldn't call the 76ers a contender. They're 6th seed in the east. Granted, they're better than us right now, but neither we or them are contenders yet.

IT is 29 years old. So far, he's only played on a rookie contract, and an MLE-type (6 million/year) free agent contract. It's easy as a fan to say that he should take a 6th man role on a winning team. A player only has a limited time to earn a big $$ contract in this league. He'll be 33 years old when his next 4 year deal ends. It's easy for 33-34 year old vets to agree to play for a winning team and take a pay cut. 29 year olds with gas left in the tank have to weigh their options more carefully.

I hope we do keep IT if PG or Lebron don't leave, but there's going to have to be some give and take involved. A KCP-type 1 year deal may be a way to make it happen.

9. vasashi17

IT gets his 1st crack as a starter tonight.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  10. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

So Julius has to guard KD now. Yikes! Make him feel it Jules .... for all the points he's going to score.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  11. Purp n Gold

Purp n Gold - Rookie -

Great post. Not to mention IT's shooting stretches the floor. When the floor is that open even Lopez can drive to the basket. A hip injury is nothing to take lightly, and he's showing he can still get in the lane consistently.

I am not crazy about those jump passes in the lane either, but I'll take them if it means he can hit those stop-n-pop jumpers from the free throw line. These combined with his ability to drive has improved our floor spacing a lot.

From a roster standpoint the pieces fit better too. Couldn't agree more with @vasashi17, it's one hell of a contingency plan and we're starting to the see the seeds of it. Magic and Pelinka have been great since taking over.

12. vasashi17

Uh oh...Jules starting to hulk out on his own crew.

Props to BLoZo for diffusing that situation.

Kenzo and Cookie like this.
  13. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

IT talks too much, yells at other guys too much for his own mistakes. He needs to chill, he just got here, and if he’s arguing defense he doesn’t have a leg to stand on. It’s been reported that teammates haven’t liked him before, and seeing him on the court and how he acts sometimes I buy it.

Kenzo, Savory Griddles, Khmrp and 8 others like this.
  14. Purp n Gold

Purp n Gold - Rookie -

Dawkins with a hilarious video title:

:Laugh:

You can see they squash it at the end too

15. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

What was the argument about?

16. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

...a blown defensive switch I believe.

Thomas had I thought a very good shooting night from deep. Was concerned that he re-aggravated his hip on that slip and fall in the second half.

17. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    I thought for sure it was “your Momma” jokes

18. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

19. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

yea starting to rethink wanting IT back.....no d n yelling at our young guys isnt the right approach. gets old n tempers will flair

Weezy likes this.
  20. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

You can hide one guy on defense as long as everyone else is playing lockdown. That's why IT worked on the C Bags because everyone else on the floor is a good to great defender. I do not want IT on this team moving forward even if it's for 3-4 million a season. Part of our success this season is because of the culture we have been creating. IT does not seem to be a good or even passable fit for the culture.

Weezy likes this.