Isaac Bonga Thread: Bonga Bonga Bonga!

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 21, 2018.

1. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Its their Kobe pick in that they really believe in a 18 year old kid (I guess they believe in that part too) that can pan out. Im not equating a low lottery pick to a mid 2nd rounder (could have realistically got him at 47 tbh)....but its the urgency in trading for the pick a couple days out from the draft. Granted, they moved DLo/Mozzy a few days before the 2017 draft, but that was cause we knew Zo was our guy and that 27/28 combo could either be dealt for Pauline, move up or use one pick to move down (which is what we ended up doing). The urgency to move on the 39th pick was just really weird to me.

Either way, our scouts have earned a higher threshold of critique, but that doesn't change how weird of a move it was for me, especially since that type of move could have been done on draft night.

2. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    Bonga has been terrible imo. How they picked him ahead of Svi is anyone's guess.

Bonga doesn't seem to be good at anything. Yes he can handle the ball... Like the least valuable skill in basketball. Can't shoot, can't get to the Tim, isn't particularly athletic or fast, isn't exactly tenacious on defense,.... Don't see nba material right now.

3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

That's why I'm guessing this came from Magic. It seems like the FO thought "hey we can nab this pick as an asset to move around since this draft is stronger. Oh by the way there's this kid we like in Bonga we can nab in the 2nd probably". I bet after the workout he had for the Lakers, Magic told the guys to get Bonga no matter what.

4. therealdeal

Actually ball handling is really important, especially for his size it's really remarkable. Also he gets to the rim really easily, he just has no idea what to do once he gets there. Shooting is definitely an issue, but he's been above average defensively. His size and length makes switching everything really easy when he's on the court. The problem is, the game is too fast for him to play point guard without 12 turnovers and he's not really valuable enough off the ball because he can't shoot and Rathan-Mayes doesn't pass anyway unless he can get an assist out of it so Bonga is taken out of his skill set and placed in the worst position he can be in.

Bonga will look better with the South Bay Lakers where he can have the ball more and learn to catch up to the speed of the game with less pressure on him to succeed immediately.

5. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

the guy we missed out on n fit a need was Mitchell Robinson, we needed that vertical lob threat ne he was one, i still love the mo pick so i understand mgmt not looking at another big to develop

6. therealdeal

I think it's because they knew they could get to McGee.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  7. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

More run for Bonga? Is he being showcased?

abeer3 likes this.
  8. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    We're trying to win. So I hope he doesn't get more minutes.

This is going to be a big loss for us. Caruso has been great on both sides of the ball and especially in setting the table for the front court players.

abeer3 likes this.
  9. jbiggs

jbiggs - Rookie -

Event Operations for the San Diego Padres
    its been reported that we strongly considered taking him at 25 and would have definitely taken him at 39...oh well

abeer3 likes this.
  10. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Bonga was sure on a short leash tonight. Played like 2 minutes in 1st half and got yanked.

11. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

Bonga is not very good and I'm starting to wonder why we gave this dude a guaranteed deal?

I think after the last 2 drafts though, I'll give our scouting a pass on this...maybe he'll pan out when he gets more expereince and burn in the G League.

sirronstuff and Alcindor like this.
  12. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Have not been able to figure out why we used a slot giving this guy a deal, a rare potential type player sure, but that's a prayer atm and he's as raw as they get now.

We could have stuck this guy in Iceland or somewhere for a couple years.

sirronstuff likes this.
  13. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

Honestly want to bash the pick, but after all the hits the front office has given us I can't complain.

sirronstuff likes this.
  14. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I feel like we traded for this pick to be used on a trade but all those disappeared according to players drafted before. Ie. "We'll do this trade if he's still on the board."

But yeah, this guy is so raw Gordon Ramsey would be ticked off. G-League will be good for him though, more of a chance to play and develop without having to worry about Hart, Svi or Wagner getting the bulk of the usage.

Note, we also gave Anthony Brown a 3 year deal right out the gate too.

abeer3 and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  15. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

To me, it isn’t that it’s such an awful pick and there’s no way he can’t become a useful player, but I still think it looks like a mistake for other reasons. Yes, had we drafted Melton there probably isn’t playing time for him right away, but he’s at least a better player, he’s a better talent, and at the very LEAST because of that he’s a trade chip to have. Bonga, I don’t not believe is that at this time.

abeer3, KB24 and LTLakerFan like this.
  16. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    As he should have been. We trying to win and the pace and everything is just moving too fast for him. He'll spend the year with South Bay and grow a lot more skills wise

17. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Bonga is horrid. There is a difference between a rookie playing and someone who looks like they have no clue how to play basketball. He looks like he doesnt even know what sport he is playing.

18. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    You know that feeling you get when Svi, Klay, Steph shoot, or Jordan/Kobe is taking the game winner like you know it’s going in.....

Yea I get the opposite feeling whenever Bonga touches the ball. I always think please no, how will this end in a disaster.

19. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Guys, I know Bonga hasn't looked that great, but I'm gonna give the draft team the benefit of the doubt.

Physically, he checks off a lot of boxes. He's got a lot of tools to build off of despite being extremely raw. You have to remember that he's only 18 (we think) and hasn't played at the level of competition as he has in SL, and I think there are a lot of nerves for him playing in a completely new country. I know we'd like to see a little more confidence, but I'm not gonna fault him for that.

The few "glimpses" that I've noticed from him is that he's got some fluidity to his game. He's not completely broken. For his size, he can handle the ball, and he has some idea of vision. He needs to develop his shot, he needs to trust his body and get stronger, he needs to develop confidence. I'm not saying he's Giannis or anything, but what I'm saying is the scouting department sees a workable project in him to develop into a good player given time, though I would have preferred Kostas if that were the case.

I personally think, like some others, that we were hoping Robinson fell to us at 39. But that didn't work. We lucked out that Svi fell to us at 47.

20. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    He's 18?

:Laugh:

I think he has time. But yeah, I'm surprised we didn't just stash him overseas for a few years. Just seems odd.

What don't we know here Magic? Was this to officially "lose" his birth certificate? Why does that even matter?

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.