Is It Time To Move On From Gary Vitti?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Oct 21, 2014.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

The doctors we use would be fair game to be reevaluated as well.

Clearly there's something wrong here. It can't just be bad luck. The Lakers need to figure this out and quickly.

2. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    Yeah, the duration of peoples injuries over the last few years has been pretty bad.

3. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Gary Vitti strikes again!

4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Nah, come on.... though knowing you you're probably jerking with us. [​IMG] Freak injury of course.

5. therealdeal

I can't blame Vitti, but again there's something weird going on here, right? I'm already a superstitious guy but this is THREE YEARS IN A ROW. Young guys, old guys, new guys, veterans, blue guys, up guys, down guys it doesn't matter. Everybody on our team is a time bomb.

I don't want to blame Vitti for this last injury. It was a freak occurrence right? Just unlucky...

Well there's a saying: you make your own luck. Something needs to turn around here. Something needs to happen. The Lakers need to address their health and fitness department and make some changes. You don't have to fire people, but bring more people in. Flood the office with MDs, trainers, and therapists. Hire a witch doctor and a shaman and a priest. I don't care. Do something.

6. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Can we make a sacrifice or something? I vote the Clippers.

thkthebest likes this.
  7. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/julius...cruel-blow-to-crumbling-lakers-154552606.html

Great article by Woj. It calls into question our medical staff and the Lakers FO. Did our medical staff goof on this one? Or did our FO ignore their warnings?

LaVarBallsDad and thkthebest like this.
  8. therealdeal

He went to like four doctors and they all said it would be fine. I don't buy the rotation idea. I buy Doc's idea, but I don't know if I buy the rotation idea.

9. BigDan24

BigDan24 - Rookie -

The question is, will he have surgery on the foot now since he will miss the time anyhow? If it should be fixed for better long-term stability then why not do it now?

10. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Good point

11. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Don't want to blame the medical staff and trainers but come on it's been 2-3 years where we have half the team injured. Something needs to be done whether it's changing up some things or make a sacrifice to the basketball gods.

lakerjones likes this.
  12. ILikeLakers

ILikeLakers - Rookie -

I hate this is being talked about. I would say with the number of championships and finals appearances we've had, and knowing health plays a big role, that he has done a fine job.

13. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    I like the signature :clap:

14. ILikeLakers

ILikeLakers - Rookie -

when did Kobe tell Howard he was soft?

15. therealdeal

Last night during the game.

16. MusixFinest

MusixFinest - Rookie -

I feel like ever since Jimbo screwed over PJ, there's been nothing but bad vibes surrounding this team. Dr. Buss dies soon after. The Big Four Redux experiment goes terribly wrong. Kobe injures his Achilles. Dwight leaves. Kobe comes back the next season and hurts his knee. We have the worst season ever in Lakers history. We finish with the sixth-worst record in the league and end up with the 7th pick in the draft, whereas the Cavs have the ninth-worst record and pick 1st. In year 3, we lose our sixth-man for at least the first month of the season and our lottery pick breaks his leg. Who knows what else is coming?

If you think about it, it was right after PJ "retired" as coach (and the Lakers cleaned house of all PJ loyalists) when the CP3 trade was nixed, too. Could this be Karmic retribution?

17. revgen

Karmic retribution?

Have you ever heard of the "Chick Hearn Curse"?

That's what folks were calling it before we reached the Finals in 2008. Blaming our woes on Chick's passing. As if our winning ways ended as soon as Chick passed away.

All teams go through ups and downs. And some fans will inevitably come up with some "curse" to deal with the down cycle.

Barnstable likes this.
  18. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

But have teams have this steep of a down? We've been decimated by injuries and have no sense of direction with what we are doing with the team going forward.

19. revgen

Yes. The C-bags had it worse than we ever did. Two of their "future stars" died.

Barnstable and lakerjones like this.
  20. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

This is absolutely true. Very sad. As much as I hate them, you couldn't wish that on them but it did happen. Len Bias and Reggie Lewis. Awful stuff. I don't agree with the title of this article but an interesting and brief read on the subject. I still remember when it happened to Reggie Lewis. So sad. Makes our situation look very mild in comparison. Much of what has happened to us was also brought on by bad decision making from our front office. Not the injuries per se, but some of the personnel choices like Nash who clearly had a very limited ceiling because of his history and age.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ewis-duo-boston-C Bags-could-have-owned-1990s

With Len Bias-Reggie Lewis Duo, Boston C Bags Could Have Owned 1990s
    By Mike B., Featured Columnist Jan 16, 2010
    Boston C Bags this past summer. He picked the same number he has worn for most of his career: 30.

That number, though, likely would not have been available to him if a man by the name of Len Bias hadn't passed away almost 25 years ago.

You've heard the story many times. Bias, the former University of Maryland star, died from a cocaine overdose less than 48 hours after being drafted second overall by the C Bags in the 1986 NBA Draft.

He was expected to insert youth and athleticism to an aging C Bags lineup and help the "Big Three" of Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, and Robert Parish win a few more titles in the 1980s.

Bias could have prolonged the careers of those Hall-of-Famers and then taken over as "The Man" and carried the C's to additional championships in the 1990s.

Unfortunately, the C Bags, who had won it all in 1986 over the Los Angeles Lakers, failed to claim another title in the '80s and Bird and McHale were forced into retirement in the early '90s due to injury.

Most of the '90s were absolutely miserable for the C Bags as they became a perennial lottery team once the Big Three left town and went on to acquire a bunch of average talent.

But the loss of Bias and the breaking down of Bird and McHale weren't the only reasons for the team's demise. C Bags All-Star guard Reggie Lewis died of cardiac arrest in 1993 at the young age of 27.

In case you didn't follow the NBA much in the 90s, Lewis was one of the most dangerous scorers in the league back then. He led the C Bags with back-to-back 20 ppg seasons and averaged 28 per game during the '92 playoffs.

Bias and Lewis could have very well formed a dynamic duo as two extremely gifted scorers who could drop 30 a piece on any given night.

If those two had lived, maybe Michael Jordan's Chicago Bulls wouldn't have won six championships.

The C Bags vs. Bulls matchup could have turned into an epic rivalry with the two teams fighting and clawing in the Eastern Conference Finals each year.

Just imagine the matchups—Jordan vs. Bias and Scottie Pippen vs. Lewis. Many people thought that Bias would have been as good or even better than Jordan and we know how good Pippen and Lewis were.

Who knows if the C Bags would have won stolen any titles from the Bulls, but they just might have beaten Hakeem Olajuwon's Houston Rockets in both '94 and '95 while Jordan was playing baseball.

But of course, the C Bags might have still been an awful team in the 90s.

Bias could have turned out to be a bust or just an average player and Lewis might have gotten injured and went from an All-Star to a role player.

We'll never know what would have happened if those two talented young men had lived, we'll just always have to wonder "what if."

revgen likes this.