I Can't Say I Won't Be Salty If... (mvp Talk!)

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Jazzygirl205, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Jazzygirl205

Jazzygirl205 - Rookie -

Russell Westbrook, who I think should win, wins the MVP as an 8th seed, whereas the Lakers were the 7th seed, and Kobe didn't during that amazing season he had in 2005-06 wasn't even in the top consideration for MVP. People were saying the seeding was too low, the team record wasn't as god so he didn't deserve it? But the OKC Thunder are an 8th seed right now and it hasn't deterred from Russell being the MVP winner. Can someone explain the MVP award to me?

LTLakerFan and ShowTime_IR like this.
  2. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

It's dictated by who the media likes, and who they feel like bending/changing the rules for. For the most part it has been consistent from the start though, best player on a top team record-wise. Occasionally it changes to a guy who carries a lesser talented team like with Iverson. Then during Kobe's prime though it sort of changed back to give it to Nash twice as the best player that ran the engine on a stacked team. Then it changed again to a guy carrying a lesser team with LeBron in Cleveland.

So can I explain it? No, not really, it's mostly a popularity contest, judged sometimes on head to head matchups between candidates, and who is doing the best at the end of the season and freshest in the media's mind. By my definition of MVP Kobe should have won in '05/'06 (and really IMO could have won it any season from '09 through the '12'/'13 season, but suddenly he had Pau, Bynum and Odom so having great teammates was a strike against you ) and Westbrook is my MVP this season. But, it will probably go to Curry, and I have zero problem with that, he's been there all season and deserves it.

If it goes to LeBron I'll be pissed though, as he has 2 all-stars and guys who just won gold medals next to him that can carry the team on any given night. That's my opinion though, not my definition of MVP, but historically having great teammates isn't a strike against you (unless you're Kobe, or maybe even Shaq). If Harden wins, I'll be annoyed, but not angry because he's carried that team without Dwight.

LTLakerFan, alam1108 and puffyusaf#2 like this.
  3. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

^+1. Media and popularity. Now Westbook does not give the warm and fuzzies towards the scribes like 24 did so... The 2008 MVP for him was more of a "let's make up for this oversight for being dumba***s the previous ones" kind. Wasn't there at the time the media being...let's say "reminded" of the snubs so they had to do it?

LTLakerFan likes this.
  4. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    IMO, he's playing amazing. 3 horse race between him, Beard and Curry.

I listen to ESPN radio and they keep saying how he should get it. I guess the old "best player on best team" criteria no longer applies since Kobe isn't in the running anymore.

LTLakerFan, puffyusaf#2 and Weezy like this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

the award just doesn't mean anything because the parameters are so unclear. it's supposed to mean "most outstanding player"--at least that's how fans and media discuss it.

if that's really the case, it's Anthony davis, right? followed by westbrook, then curry, then LeBron, then harden (and the refs).

if it's best player on best team, then it's curry. open and shut.

i can't see a case for giving the mvp to westbrook or harden in any scenario or under any implied parameters.

6. Weezy

How is most valuable "most outstanding" though? Valuable means something different to me. Without Westbrook the Thunder have looked like a lottery team, with him they look like an 8th seed no 1st place team wants to have to play. That's why he should be in the conversation at least. Same for Davis, same for Harden, they carry their teams, they are most valuable in their situations. You're right though, that isn't what the award means, so they really should just change the name. I think if it were actually called most outstanding player that would clear up a lot of confusion because then it is obvious that it's a matter of opinion and they can give it to whoever they like. If anyone asks why, well, "because he was outstanding", problem solved lol.

7. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

That's one thing that I hope gets cleared up within the next 20 years -- a clear, definitive, standardized criteria for the award. If they say we judge it on x, y, & z and it's voted on with those in mind every year then there would be much less backlash and negative stuff from the fans. But through constant flip flopping of what the award is based on takes away some of the significance and makes it a bit of a joke.

8. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Curry has been the most consistent player and his team is on pace to win 65 games in the West ...

Harden is scoring more FTs than FGs ...

Westbrook has been amazing for 1 month + but his team probably won't win 50 teams and is a 8th seed

As of now , there is no doubt Chef Curry should win the MVP

LTLakerFan likes this.
  9. thkthebest

thkthebest Administrator Staff Member

Thunder have been -1.2 without Westbrook and +6.1 with him.
    Warriors have been -3.5 without Curry and +16.8 with him.

Warriors' starting lineup is +5.7. That same lineup without Curry is -1.8.
    Thunder's starting lineup is +3.2. That same lineup without Westbrook is -0.3.

The Warriors actually fall apart without Curry more than the Thunder do without Westbrook. Those numbers may be different for this past month or so (I will take a look in a bit), but we should be taking into consideration the entire season for the award.

LTLakerFan and lakerjones like this.
  10. Weezy

I probably made too big a case for Westbrook, but I did finish by saying I have zero problem with Curry being MVP and that he deserves it. I only meant that by my usual definition Westbrook is my type of MVP. But I agree it's only been for a month, injuries hurt his case. I have no doubt that if he had been healthy all season his numbers would look more like Curry's. Curry is the MVP this season and I hope he wins, I was simply making the case for what I think most valuable means, just like Kobe in 05'/'06.

I do think the Warriors with Klay, Iggy, Green, and Bogut are good enough to make the playoffs without Curry, I don't think the Thunder get close without Westbrook. That's taking nothing away from Curry at all, as I said, the award historically almost always goes to the best player on a top team, and of course top teams (60+ win teams) are going to have multiple great players. I'll be very happy to see Curry win MVP, he's one of my favorite players to watch, and he's fought against all doubters coming out of a small college to become an unstoppable NBA player.

LTLakerFan and thkthebest like this.
  11. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

MVP is Harden IMO. Team has had every single starter go down with an injury, including Dwight for pretty much this entire year. The fact that Houston is a 3 seed in the WEST with all those injuries is extremely impressive. Curry has had a healthy squad all year and also has a better overall team than Harden imo. Westbrook has been amazing but his team's record simply isn't good enough (Kobe argument for that 05/06 year). If LeBron wins it or even gets close, I'm going to be really ticked off. Cleveland was supposed to stomp the east, and it looks like they'll finish as the 2 seed. This in NO WAY should be viewed as a successful season, as anythign short of #1 would be a disappointment and falling below expectations. Plus, did I mention they play in the weak east?

Curry or Harden should be MVP, no questions asked.

12. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I'm fine with anyone but Bron winning it. If he does, the whole thing is a farce. Legit cases can be made for Westbrook, Harden, Curry, and Davis.

13. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

If the Pelicans make the playoffs, Anthony Davis is the Most Valuable Player by definition. Unfortunately, it's a popularity contest so who cares.

14. puffyusaf#2

puffyusaf#2 - Lakers Starter -

Author of "Just a Thought"
    I'll restate my usual argument over the MVP debate.

I have always hated and still hate the idea that the MVP is, as many fans have accepted, "the best player on the best team." First of all its a lie and is often subject to a myriad of misunderstood or misused rules to justify. A couple years ago Lebron was having a statistically awesome season but his team was A) playing in a garbage conference, B) didn't have any competition and C) was not the #1 team in the league. That honor was to the Spurs who prior to the season had been believed to be a lower seed at best in the West. The Spurs best player, who was also putting up a career year while carrying that team, was Tony Parker. Of course that notion was scoffed at not because it wasn't valid in the previously mentioned MVP criteria but because the media and fans had bought into the current change that went with the narrative "OMG, LBJ is doing what no one has done in (insert years)." There is the problem with looking at Westbrook. He is carrying a team that should very well be in the lottery. OKC is a 2 trick pony with one gone. He is the very answer of what is an MVP? James Harden also deserves consideration but I, like mentioned by others, have a serious problem with a guy whose greatness and success is predominately predicated on officals and flopping. Curry is the front runner, again like others have said, because he has been the cog that makes that team go and has done it at an amazing clip. As for LBJ, I think the Cavs have underachieved and he has too. Some argue that Westbrook has missed too much time but LBJ has missed nearly as many as Westbrook has which I believe is 15 (Westbrook) and 11 (LBJ). I could be wrong on the number though.

The MVP will forever be a joke award because it isn't based on the player who is the "most valuable" to a successful team. It will be to whoever the media wishes to promote. Curry isn't getting nearly the attention for MVP as LBJ would be if the records were reversed. Anthony Davis doesn't get any attention at all. You can't have a true MVP race when most of the people are basically discredited and tossed out of the discussion before the discussion even starts.

15. RasAlgethi

RasAlgethi Moderator Staff Member

This will never happen. The NBA likes the ambiguity of what MVP award means as it generates discussion and lets them push the award to any player they want.

puffyusaf#2 likes this.
  16. FreeThePeople

FreeThePeople - Rookie -

I think they definitely need to redefine what the MVP criteria is. How about we do that here on LB for them. What should "da real MVP" criteria be? Should the award even be called something different?

17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

I think it should be most outstanding player. too many other variables to account for in the other criteria (teammates, conference, injuries, etc.). who kicked the most a** this year?

btw, that answer is Anthony davis.

who was most important to a dominant team? curry, no contest.

to accept harden, you have to accept Houston as a contender, which they're not. and you have to ignore that much of his prowess is born of unprecedented favoritism from officials.

18. FreeThePeople

FreeThePeople - Rookie -

"Most outstanding" actually also directly relates to the variable of teammates. Are all your teammates going to utterly defer to you, like they do to Anthony Davis? Or do you have many other extremely valuable teammates that need the ball too, like Stephen Curry? I think Anthony Davis was surely the most outstanding player this season, but I think that it would have been more difficult for him to stand out as much with teammates as talented as Curry's.

thkthebest likes this.
  19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

hmm...don't know if i agree.

davis impacts the game defensively and on the boards regardless of who else is out there, and his offense is so versatile at this point that i think buckets would find him in any system with any teammates.

i do agree that a system can make a player look more impressive. houston built a roster around harden and runs the high screen for him on almost every single half court play. i could argue that if you did the same for curry, he'd be scoring 30+ per. in other words, the system/quality of teammates is actually depressing curry's measurables this year.

that said, you can also argue that it's harder to put up efficient offensive production when your teammates aren't as good, which is where davis is in NO.

so, i still think davis is the "most outstanding player" this year, but i'm not going get into a fistfight if someone suggested curry was.

now, if one suggests other candidates...maybe.

LTLakerFan and thkthebest like this.
  20. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    When discussing the MVP award, I feel the need to throw this stat into the conversation.

Kobe once averaged 35.4 points per game. That number has has been surpassed twice in the past 50 years.

Kobe finished in 4th place for MVP that year.

The award is a joke. Steve Nash has as many MVPs as Kobe and Shaq combined.