Hurricane Harvey / Hurricane Irma

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by MonsterMash32, Aug 29, 2017.

1. MonsterMash32

MonsterMash32 - Rookie -

I'm sure everyone has heard about it, but just in case, here's a quick recap.

Hurricane Harvey is an active tropical cyclone that is causing unprecedented and catastrophic flooding in southeastern Texas. It is the first major hurricane to make landfall in the United States since Wilma in 2005, ending a record 12-year period with no major hurricanes making landfall in the United States. Harvey is also the first hurricane to hit the state of Texas since Ike in 2008, and the strongest to hit the state since Carla in 1961. In addition, it is the strongest hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico since Hurricane Rita in 2005 and the strongest to make landfall in the United States since Hurricane Charley in 2004. It joined 2016's Matthew as one of only two U.S. hurricanes to cause an extreme wind warning to be issued, indicating "tornado-like winds" within the storm including isolated tornadoes. Harvey is also the wettest tropical cyclone on record in the contiguous United States, surpassing a record set by Tropical Storm Ameila in 1978.

Harvey has caused at least 16 confirmed deaths; 1 in Guyana, and 15 in the United States. Catastrophic inland flooding is ongoing in the Greater Houston area. FEMA director Brock Long called Harvey the worst disaster in Texas history, and expected the recovery to take many years.[2] Preliminary estimates of economic losses range anywhere from $10 billion to $40 billion, with some predictions up to $60 billion.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  2. MonsterMash32

MonsterMash32 - Rookie -

The magnanimous Martin Short stand in opened his doors to his mega church, seating 17,000. And it only took a massive media backlash and 2 days. Now it could be true that his church wasn't ready, although snopes seems to disprove this but I have no problem stating when I'm wrong.

http://www.snopes.com/is-osteens-megachurch-affected/

But in some some less cynical news, JJ Watts has raised over 500 k and opened his furniture store as a makeshift shelter.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article169850902.html

Barnstable likes this.
  3. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Joel Osteen is a fraud, so nothing he does will surprise me.

Barnstable and TIME like this.
  4. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    I'm not defending him here, but just curious as to why you say this. I know his net worth is super high and that bugs some people.

I don't know much about him or his church but I have listened to some of his Sermons and Podcasts off and on which I've enjoyed.

John3:16 likes this.
  5. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

JJ Watt is up to 2 million now, aiming for 3 million.

The Houston Rockets owner is donating 10 million, the Astros owner is donating 4 million (I think it's the Astros owner).

6. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

He preaches the Prosperity Doctrine. One of the major tenants of that doctrine is if you have faith and give your money to the church (which in this case would be himself) God will bless you with great wealth and pretty much give you everything your heart desires. Sort of flies in the face of a lot of Jesus's teachings about "Blessed are the poor." and the rich man being like a camel passing through the eye of the needle to get into the Kingdom of God.

7. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

Joel Osteen does not represent biblical Christianity at all. He preaches a message that is known as the "prosperity gospel" like most folks on TBN as well as other traditions. They core of the prosperity gospel/word of faith is that Jesus died to make you healthy, wealthy, and happy. If you give to the church, verbally claim blessings(IE health and finances) God will deliver them to you. This is at odds with the message of the Bible which is that Jesus came to deliver humanity from sin and reconcile all things to the Father. In addition to the theological issues that arise with the prosperity gospel come the practical reality that those so called preachers that teach it almost always establish churches filled with the poor and hurting. They then bleed the poor and hurting dry promising "blessings" for those who "sow a seed" IE give them money. These wolves in sheep clothing generally live lavish lifestyles while a good percentage of their congregants suffer. This nonsense is purposely exported across the globe and in some ways functions very much like a pyramid scheme. This runs deeper than that too on various other theological fronts as well, but that is a good start. If you have any questions shoot em at me.

Here is an article by Kareem that touches on some of those economic issues: http://time.com/3912366/kareem-abdul-jabbar-prosperity-gospel/

On topic: Having lived in Houston and seen many a flood I just can't believe what I am seeing on my social media account from friends and families hack in H-Town. Its absolutely insane the amount of rain that is still falling. Whats absolutely mind boggling is H-town is built to flood. It is designed to take huge amounts of water and drain. 4 ft of rain in 4 days is crazy.

Case in point:

Attached Files:

8. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Savory and Sama answered it better than I could.

I'll add this: if it can't be preached everywhere, it shouldn't be preached anywhere. Imagine preaching the prosperity gospel in Haiti.

Lastly, he was on Larry king Live and Larry asked if someone who doesn't accept Jesus as Lord and Savior can go to Heaven and he replied, "I don't know." He doesn't know? Huh?

Savory Griddles likes this.
  9. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    That photo is incredible, jeez

10. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Joel Osteen is basically Tony Robbins repackaged as a pastor. It's just same old same old self help, you are greater than you realize, think positive and your life will be positive, spiritual cotton candy dressed up with an occasional brief Bible reference thrown in to give it some validity.

11. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

In contrast to those mentioned above what makes my love Texas is the people more than anything. Seeing folks stream towards danger to help those who are in need would be considered crazy in most places, but here its what you do. In addition to seeing a the devastation I have seen many, including friends and family, load up there boats with supplies and head south to go pull people out. I know many more that are fuel, supplied, and just waiting for the all clear to be called. The most impressive group to me is are the Texas Baptist Men, a group of mostly retired, mostly 60+ men that stream in from all over after disasters to do serious work. I know several men well into there twilight years that have been in many a disaster relief effort both state side and abroad.

12. MonsterMash32

MonsterMash32 - Rookie -

But despite my negative start on the topic, I'm gonna focus on Watt and others like him.

I don't get how people can say he didn't give enough. Anyway, here's this.

13. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst

and here's a picture of Sgt. Perez

John3:16 and TIME like this.
  14. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

It's tough to say who gave enough and who didn't when it comes to these celebrities who are worth more money than a person can fathom. Kevin Hart giving 25k won't even register in his day to day life in the least. (He's listed at a 120 million net worth). No one should say any one person did or didn't give enough. No one is under any obligation to give anything (other than what the government steals...err...taxes everyone). That lady who just won the giant Powerball, is she under more of an obligation to pay than someone like Hart because Hart "earned" his money while she was lucky? I guess we could look at Mark 12:42 for some guidance.

Battle Tested20 and John3:16 like this.
  15. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand

Oklahoma is the same way. The first thing I noticed when I moved here is how nice the people are. When the tornadoes hit Moore OK, the people just banded together. Most didn't wait for the government to come in with aid or clean-up help. They got to work and started cleaning up and helping those in need.

During tragedies we see the best and worst in humans.

Battle Tested20 likes this.
  16. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    So true.

17. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

A lot celebrities donate to charity all the time, have charity events, stuff we don't even hear about. He might be worth $120 million, but I'm sure he helps his family (or friends that come around asking for money for this or that), maybe has investments, he had a wife and 2 kids, we have to remember taxes. If he and others like him went around donating a million dollars to every cause they'd run out of money, where if they are more selective they can set up their family to be taken care of for generations. I would never say he didn't donate enough, he did something at least, when it's really not he or other celebrities' responsibility to do this. They are in a better position to do so, but I don't see how anyone can say "not enough, give more", when it's not their money.

therealdeal and MonsterMash32 like this.
  18. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand

Agree.

IMO, I think people should give and not do it with a million cameras on them. But I also realize they can give, which will influence others to give, so them using their celebrity status for good is alright.

therealdeal and MonsterMash32 like this.
  19. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I donated today. I'm considering adopting an animal from the flooded shelters (despite my wife's protests), and I'm gathering clothes and towels to send out when the time is right.

Battle Tested20, Weezy, TIME and 2 others like this.
  20. MonsterMash32

MonsterMash32 - Rookie -

The animal thing is really cool. San Antonio and Houston are lousy with strays anyway. But speaking of donating clothes and such I wonder if there's a pickup in Richmond.