How Bout Them Cowboys!

Discussion in 'Other Sports Discussion' started by TIME, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

Today Romo held a presser and acknowledged Dak deserved to remain the starter and had earned the job. Have so much respect for him. Not easy for any competitor to be able to do that. He did what's best for the team putting the team above himself as any great team player would do.

TIME and trodgers like this.
  2. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. Granted, it is easier to do when you're guaranteed an eight digit salary and the last 3 of the last 4 times you took the field you broke bones. :D

therealdeal likes this.
  3. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

4. Lakers2015

This is my favorite.

[​IMG]

5. Lakers2015

Dak just shredded the best defense in the league.

Despite not a lot of running room Zeke still nearly had 100 yards on the ground.

These young guys are special.

This team is special. Not sure if they have enough horses defensively to win the Super Bowl this year, but this certaintly looks like a team that's gonna be a threat come playoff time and more importantly for years to come.

TIME likes this.
  6. Lakers2015

A good win. Managed to find a way to beat a good Redskins team on a short week. Dak and Zeke were typical Dak and Zeke. Defense struggled in that second half. Gonna continue to need to score a lot of points to win games.

7. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Sounds like another team I know. Good luck to you guys.

8. Lakers2015

Yes maybe looking at a Cowboys/Raiders Super Bowl! Long way to go for both squads, but definite possibility the way they're playing.

trodgers likes this.
  9. Lakers2015

Cowboys first team to clinch a playoff berth.

A win next week means they're division champs.

10. Savory Griddles

This is two games in a row where the offense has been brutal. Dak has looked like a rookie quarterback the past two games. If he looks like this next week, I'm going to be worried.

Lakers2015 likes this.
  11. Lakers2015

If Dak looks this bad next week then you had to consider going back to Romo. Dak is hitting a bit of a rookie wall and if he can't get through it then you have to see what Tony can do. They're 11-2, but they could easily fall back to being the fifth or sixth seed because they have two really tough games coming up vs Tampa Bay and Detroit.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  12. Savory Griddles

As you can tell, I was slow to get on the Dak train, and my concerns are coming to fruition. I was worried that eventually teams would figure him out. Even when he was playing at the top of his game, most of his throws were nice, safe throws. He wasn't showing anything elite. Now for two weeks in a row, we've needed him to deliver and he hasn't. The Minny game was our defense and the special teams fumble recovery. This week I kept hearing Collinsworth yammer on and on about all the pressure, but he had plenty of time on a quite a few throws and just missed. Our passing game seems very simplified with Dak. I'm not hating on Dak. I think he will be a real good QB in the league, but the dude is a rookie and we have (if healthy) a top 5-8 veteran QB sitting on the sideline. I don't think there is much question that last night's game (granted Romo doesn't get destroyed) is probably a 14 point win.

Dez Bryant is a top 3 receiver with Romo, now he's been reduced to an occasional target. I am convinced that Beasley is having this season because Dak can hit him with his little underneath routes.

The way I see it, putting in Romo could blow up in our face. But I also think he is our only shot to win the whole thing.

13. Lakers2015

Romo has been elite, but he can't stay healthy. That's the issue can he still take hits? Can he still play at the same level he did before all these injuries? He wasn't very good last season albeit in limited time. It could very well blow up in the Cowboys face. At the same time if the struggles continue for Dak you have to at least see what Romo can do.

I am confident Dak will respond. He had a similar game against Philadelphia and responded with about a month of terrific play and now he's hit a little rough patch. I don't agree that Dak hasn't shown anything elite. I think he's shown elite level decision making for the most part, this whole season he's been extremely patient and up until this rough stretch he has been very accurate. It's just a question of whether he can get through it.

If Dak can get back to where he was a few weeks ago before the struggles started then I believe the Cowboys definitely can win a Super Bowl. Especially with the defense improving. Dude was playing at an MVP level. Now we see how he responds on Sunday night. I've been a big Romo fan, but I really don't know what he is at this point. He could still be an elite quarterback or he could look like Peyton did last year.

14. Savory Griddles

So Jaylen Smith is looking like he might be close to 100%. The dude is a beast. I really hope we resign Claiborne and pick up a pass rusher in the draft. Use some of our free agency money on another corner...all of a sudden our defense would be stacked.

Does Ware have anything left? Rumor is he might come back?

15. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I saw some video of Smith working out running a 40 and he looked amazing. He can make a HUGE difference in the D. Imagine him with Sean Lee. Yes, we need a DE but drafting late in the 1st... Ware would be better than anyone we have right now on the end. If he signs a "come home" deal for 1-2 years I'm all for it.

16. Savory Griddles

As long as the nerve is healed, Smith has all-timer potential. He would have likely gone top 2-3 in the draft had it not been for the injury. I'd like Ware on a "come home" deal, but I still think we need another pass rusher in addition to Ware. How our defense was able to stop people is still something I'm trying to figure out. Lee is a stud, but other than him? I don't want people to get fooled into thinking Claiborne and Carr are the answer at corner. Claiborne is OK as a second corner, but not as a first, IMO. We need help at that position. So much will depend on what (if anything) we can get for Romo. If we get a couple seconds, we might be able to package one to move up into the mid first round to land us our pass rusher and sign maybe Ware.

17. PosterFormerlyKnownAs_MC

PosterFormerlyKnownAs_MC - Rookie -

Robotics Process Software Developer
    Smith has been able to do a bunch of things as he's progressed but still needs a brace to support and allow the functionality needed to do this.

I believe he is progressing and will get back on the filed at some point. He would be a huge upgrade at MLB and allow Lee to function and get protected by the front 4.

How this plays out will depend on how they do with their own FA and UFAs...... lots of key players to make decisions on like Church, Claiborne, Carr ........ I think they are set at LB IF Smith returns to even 90% of what he once was, Lee can continue to build off a season where he stayed relatively healthy.

Pass rush is the big one to me........ it's not going to be easy getting that piece .... as parcels use to say...not like you can go to your local texaco and find one of those.

Savory Griddles and TIME like this.
  18. Lakers2015

Ware retired so forgot about that dream. A lot of fellow Cowboy fans are not happy with what the team has done in free agency. I am not one of them. To me none of these guys they lost be it McClain, Wilcox, or Church, and Leary are irreplaceable. Solid players, but I like some of the players they added. They brought back T-Will on a bargain deal. Butler back as well. Yes they're not spectacular, but it's important for Dak to have continuity with these receivers as he continues to develop and grow as a quarterback. Pae and Carroll at worst are similar players to McClain and Carr/Mo. Collins has higher upside than Leary.

The draft is deep in the areas the Cowboys are weak right now. That is along the defensive front especially the edge pass rushers. Guys like Taco Charloton, Charles Harris, maybe even someone like Solomon Thomas could be well within their range at 28. I'm not all that worried. This team is one of the best drafting teams in football going right now. As Griddles alluded to if Jaylon Smith returns and all indications are that he will you essentially add a top five pick. They'll get Martin extended which means you'll have those three All Pro linemen locked up compounded with the fact that you're getting La'El Collins back who has All Pro potential. You have a young emerging QB in Dak who'll only get better.

Even if Zeke gets suspended odds are you'll still be able to have an adequate run game with how good this line is. That showed itself in 2015. McFadden is no Zeke, but still managed to be one of the leading rushers despite horrible QB play and not getting significant carries till mid season. Dez and Beasley are locked in as well and Dak/Dez seemed to establish their chemistry as the season went on. They connected on I believe 5 TD's in the last month of the season. They're getting there.

TIME likes this.
  19. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Romo retires!

Hall of Fame resume: 2 playoff wins. Most TDs in Cowboy history. Undrafted FA to ProBowl leader of team.

I wonder how much he'll be itching to get back out there when he hears of a starting QB getting hurt.

20. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -