Hope Vs. Skepticism For Steve Nash

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Barnstable, Oct 2, 2014.

1. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

I've basically gone into this year with the idea that Lin is our starter. Anything that Nash does is just extra. With that being said I really hope he can stay healthy this year and retire on his own good terms, and I say that as not only a Laker fan, but as a basketball fan who respects him.

2. MusixFinest

MusixFinest - Rookie -

Nash didn't quite close the door on this season being his last... I wonder if he thinks he still has stuff left in the tank.

3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I think it's just his mind tricking his body. After the last couple seasons, he's finally feeling pretty good. Since he feels pretty good, he's thinking "hey maybe I can keep this up!".

But he can't.

4. MusixFinest

MusixFinest - Rookie -

He could if we hired away Phoenix's medical staff. Haha

5. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

The bigger issue other than Nash's health is his limited mobility on defensive end. Opposing point guards had a field day against him last season even in limited minutes. Calderon... Friggin' Heinrich... Nash did mention that he was able to withstand Scott's "Easy" Run to start practice which by all accounts was not easy. The two major factors that he brings to each game is his intelligence and dead-eye shooting. I see Nash averaging no more than 15 minutes unless something drastic happens.

6. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

He was looking looser than I've seen him in years tonight. He usually looks pretty stiff and upright, but he was actually bending over and stretching out much more than I've seen in a long time tonight. it's probably a bit of a tease, but it's better than him looking like he did most of the time last year.

7. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Watching him last night, I kept feeling, " don't waste those precious minutes on a preseason game."

It's like every 10th time he looks at a basketball his back goes out.

8. Agent Red

Agent Red - Rookie -

He looked good tonight but he got crossed up (like always) pretty bad on a few plays. I love his IQ, playmaking ability, and of course his deadly shooting but the man is a straight up liablity on the defensive end. But the positives in my opinion out way the later. Give me 8 pts and 8 asts in 20-25 minutes and I'm good. But he probably won't play more than 20 games :cry:.

9. MusixFinest

MusixFinest - Rookie -

Old man Nash can still ball it up like that un-athletic, white dude you tend to overlook in pick-up games.

10. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

The old man looked great out there. Very Steve Nash-esque.

If he could do that for us for half the season, that's a GREAT addition. He helps make the offense so smooth, even in his old, decrepit state. Defensively he's a mess, but he works hard and he tries hard within the concept.

11. Sipnotic

Sipnotic - Rookie -

Nash was a pleasant surprise yesterday. Minus some defensive lapses, which should be expected whether he's healthy or not, he was good. Now if he can keep this up :worried:

therealdeal likes this.
  12. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I thought he looked pretty darned good out there last night. If there is any way he can keep this up then it will bode well for us. I'm not betting on it, but I'm glad to see him play.

13. RasAlgethi

RasAlgethi Moderator Staff Member

Nashed looked pretty good yesterday but I really think that's the best we'll get from him. Any sort of injury, which lets face it will likely happen, and he'll be useless.

14. five6two

five6two - Rookie -

Given the low expectations I had about him contributing in any meaningful way, he did pretty good. I'm content if he can keep up that type of effort the entire season (let alone the pre season). On that note, I kind of doubt he can bang with some of the more physical PG's in the league and not miss a back to back here and there. I am rooting for him nonetheless :clap:

15. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Defensively, he is a mess, and that's the issue with Steve currently; he can't defend. He was beat on a number of occasions by Lawson the other night. Add Boozer to the mix who's a another bad defender, and this is going to be a continuous problem all season long. I'm definitely concerned about it. The Boozer problem might take care of itself in time when Randle beats him out...as far as Nash, though, we'll have probably try to 'hide' him defensively and hope for the best.

16. Kirby Pls 24

Kirby Pls 24 - Rookie -

Anybody else tense up every time Nash fights through a screen on D? Frightens me to watch him knowing that the nerve issue could flare up any given moment. In the mean time, very glad to see him back on the floor contributing.

therealdeal and Kasumi like this.
  17. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

You know, I was actually amazed how good a 40-year old Nash is. At least offensively. He does not play a lick of D, but he never did, so... whatever. His shooting and passes are still excellent though. This is what having good fundamentals and high IQ can do for you.

Daloyalfan18-Brandon likes this.