Head Coach Search: 3rd Times A Charm - Vogel Agrees To Be Lakers Head Coach

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Mar 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

yeah mark jackson by all accounts is a crappy human being. it's gonna be a no from me

i can't see rivers leaving the clips, especially to coach the lakers. he probably still has some ill will towards them because of 2010 too

coach k? really? is it 2004? big hell no to lue and kidd. neither should be coaching at the NBA level

it'll be interesting to see which coaches are let go following this season but my #1 choice would be JVG

man it really sucks doing these "next HC" threads every few years

2. bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy - Rookie -

I have been high on JVG in the past. But he hasn't coached in ages. The game has probably passed him by at this point. I'd be concerned he would want to stick to old school principles.

Top choice would be Ettore Messina with a very good defensive assistant. He understands ball movement and the importance of the 3 ball without an over reliance on it.

Would also like to see John Beilein or Tony Bennett from the NCAA.

I'd always welcome back Phil Jackson. He's not a good exec but he's the GOAT coach IMO. Don't know if he and LBJ would get along but he could definitely manage multiple egos if we got another star this summer. People say the triangle is dated but what people don't understand is that every team runs the triangle in some form. The Warriors especially have taken a lot of stuff from it. As have the Bucks.

JSM, shoe, Alcindor and 1 other person like this.
  3. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    I also think JVG is too old school for today's game. He hasn't coached for like a decade.

Just isn't used to the grind anymore. Not even sure he can deal with Maginka, he is a hot head which is not a good fit.

bfc1125roy likes this.
  4. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

As long as it’s not Lue. Want no parts of him with this team.

ZenMaster likes this.
  5. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

I don't know who is available. Would Messina be interested?

6. KB24

Certified Tax Advisor
    I'm actually quite sure LeBron will choose the next coach.

He will certainly be consulted. We have to find out who he wants to work with...

Ty Lue certainly is a frontrunner.

ZenMaster and sirronstuff like this.
  7. Kentucky Laker

Kentucky Laker - Rookie -

Doc Rivers if he becomes available. Hated him when he coached Boston, but the man is a consistent winner and doesn't put up with any BS. He would command respect from everyone, from LeBron to Caruso.

If he isn't available...I'd give a look to the Van Gundy brothers and Monty Williams. I also think Becky Hammon is worth a look, but I'm not sure the LA spotlight/LeBron drama would be the best environment for the first female HC in NBA history. Nothing against her at all, but the media would rip her to shreds every night out and LeBron's passive-aggressive BS would reach an all-time high.

Another option, although he coached here once before, would be Mike Brown...I know it was easy to hate him back then, but he's the best coach we've had since Phil and at least implements proper defensive techniques.

Those I want no part of: Byron, Rambis, DFish, Mark Jackson, Jason Kidd

8. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

This so much... but im afraid their chances are higher than guys like JVG, Messina or Blatt.

Battle Tested20 and ZenMaster like this.
  9. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    Nancy Lieberman. Fresh off a big 3 championship and she coached big personalities in Glen Davis and Birdman.

10. KB24

Certified Tax Advisor
    Honestly, we might end up our ideal replacement for Luke being..... Luke.

:Crazyartest:

TIME and sirronstuff like this.
  11. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

Does it matter who replaces Luke? We're probably going to be back here in a year hating whoever replaces Luke.

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

jvg or doc rivers make sense--it's hard to have a coach without clout when lebron's on your team. else i'd suggest more unknowns. carlisle's assistants have all done well when they left, for example. isn't caleb kanales still floating around somewhere (maybe in dallas?)?

i'd love to poach messina (whom, like snyder and clifford, we had), but SA probably won't let him go without a fight.

hell no to mark jackson.

gcclaker, Cookie and revgen like this.
  13. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

speaking of 2nd chances, how bout Magic as HC? Jeannie can get a 2 for 1 deal and save some $ lol

Kenzo and sirronstuff like this.
  14. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I don’t really know who I want coaching this team, I only know who I don’t. I wouldn’t even mind Luke staying on if we hired a competent staff with a guy to design an actual offense and someone to help with rotations/lineup management. Luke is good with player relations and clearly with defense, but he was never gonna survive a player like LeBron. I don’t want Kidd, Jackson, Lue, JVG, SVG, Shaw, Rambis, B0ron, or any other former Laker, the nepotism needs to end. We shouldn’t bring in whoever LeBron wants, but sadly that’s probably what will happen. Pat Riley refused to replace Spoelstra when LeBron wanted to and that worked out, and Lue eventually had like a nervous breakdown and was eventually fired so clearly LeBron can’t pick em very well. Preferably we’d look at smart assistants mentioned like Messina or to top college coaches and not some splashy name that can’t actually coach, or at least coach anymore.

15. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Doc is under contract for 2 more years through 2021, so he’s out.

JVG has always been intriguing to me, as well as Stan and him together. JVG hasn’t coached since 2006, and my guess is he prefers broadcasting over the NBA long season grind. USA team probably has addressed his coaching “fix”. I don’t see him coming.

Lebron has a level of comfort with Ty Lue, and he’s a former Laker. Cleveland never looked as bad as we look right now, so he’s not bad. Didn’t get a super fair shot to coach eithout Lebron, so does anyone really know if he’s good or not? Anxiety issues could be a problem.

I looked at the list of the top 50 NBA head coaches of all time as far as winning records and number of wins, and there basically is nobody available. It’s a very interesting time in the league history if you need a great head coach.

My guess is it’s Ty Lue, an old solid retread like a Gentry, or a very unexpected name.

16. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

My issue with Lue is he let LeBron walk all over him. His offense was the same as Potato Head’s with Cleveland, give LeBron the ball and let him run the team how he wants, and that isn’t working anymore. Being someone with anxiety issues myself, his issues concern me as well, you can’t be a successful coach of the circus that is the Lakers with LeBron on it and be ready to break down at any time. Hell, Rudy T broke down here and we didn’t even know he had issues. This next coaching search needs to be handled carefully and with patience. If I see Kidd or Jackson hired right away I’m gonna lose all faith in this front office.

17. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    A nightmare scenario is a sudden hire without multiple candidates interviewing. And sadly that would not shock me.

Luke was set up for failure, but he could have adjusted and been better. The next hire is a really big deal, and they can’t mess it up. BTW, Ohil is 73 and been out of the league for 8 years.

Based on his previous declining health issues and desire never to be a lifer, I place a zero % chance on that either.

Where do guys like Nick Nurse come from? We need one of those.

18. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I’d give Messina a blank check and tell him to fill it out himself. I know Spurs is waiting to replace Pop with him but when is that happening?

Blatt is also interesting, I felt he didn’t get a fair chance gis first time around with Lebron.

Both the Van Gundy bros. Lets do something crazy!

And theres always that handful of college coaches that gets their names thrown into the discussions. A lot of them are interesting but I don’t think they are ready to be the coach we need right now, 2-3 years ago? Sure.

Helljumper and Cookie like this.
  19. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

wasn't Messina an asst during Browns tenure here? I remember his name being mentioned as a candidate the yr we fired Brown but he was never given interview I think

ZenMaster likes this.
  20. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

yes he was in 2011-12. quin snyder too. two great HC candidates and they let both go

forget about messina, he's pop's successor

shoe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.