Greatest Laker Of All Time?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Magic, Oct 15, 2014.

?

Who had the best career in Lakers history?

Poll closed Nov 12, 2014.
  1. Magic Johnson

34.0%
  2. Kobe Bryant

63.8%
  3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Jerry West

2.1%
  5. Shaquille O'neal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Wilt Chamberlain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Magic

Magic - Rookie -

If Shaq and Kobe never had any beef and their egos never got in the way you are looking at least five or six championships, easily. There would be no debate who the greatest duo is in NBA history not MJ/Pippen, Magic/Kareem, or Bird/Mchale the correct answer would be Kobe/Shaq. I bet to this day they look back and say damn what if?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    Tragic, trodgers and lakerjones like this.
  2. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    I think Magic, for what he did for the Lakers on and off the court. Its Magic/Kobe. 1A 1B IMO

3. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Magic has even said that Kobe is the greatest Lakers player of all time. Not only is Kobe the leader in just about all Lakers categories he has played the longest on this team than anyone.

He's my pick for greatest Lakers Player Ever

therealdeal likes this.
  4. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

magic for sure. with kobe right behind him

5. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

There's only been two people in the League that were like that as big men: Wilt and Shaq. If Shaq took care of himself just a little bit he could have gone down as the greatest of all time. The most dominant player down low to ever play this game. As it is he still might be, but Wilt's numbers jump off the charts. Wilt's athleticism was probably 30 years before it's time. He would have fit in just fine in today's NBA.

All things said and done... We had both of those guys on our team. We also had probably the most skilled big man of all time in Kareem (Pau isn't a slouch either). We've had two of the top ten small forwards of all time in Baylor and Worthy. Baylor was another guy that probably could have fit in with today's NBA very well. The greatest point guard of all time in Magic. Kobe will go down as the second best shooting guard of all time. That doesn't even get into guys like Cooper, Wilkes, McAdoo, Fisher, Horry, and Odom who are some of the absolute greatest role players to play this game.

We rock.

TIME and LTLakerFan like this.
  6. MusixFinest

MusixFinest - Rookie -

I don't know that there has been any player who wore the P&G that gave his blood, sweat, and tears to this team (and to this game, for that matter) quite the way Kobe has. Even after playing 18 seasons, he's still evolving as a player, still accepting challenges and finding ways to win. It's that tireless passion and hunger that helped him win championships and MVP trophies, outlast all his contemporaries, and capture our hearts as fans. He is the gold standard to which all future Lakers will be measured against.

TIME, Battle Tested20 and LTLakerFan like this.
  7. For the Love of the Game

For the Love of the Game - Rookie -

I grew up watching Magic so he will always be #1 to me. The guy played the game the right way. Got everyone involved and made you feel better. Can the same be said for Kobe? If I wanted to play with either, I would choose Magic cause I know he would reward me if I work hard to get open on screens or cuts.

Magic won his 5 rings in the toughest era in history. You are talking about some of the best teams ever assembled that era. C Bags, Pistons, 76ers and Bulls. When I think of who represents what the Lakers are all about, Magic and the Showtime Lakers is what comes to mind.

The poll results don't surprise me. The younger generation will obviously vote Kobe without hesitation because they never saw Magic play on a game by game basis. But I have no problem with anyone picking Kobe, it's that close. But give me Magic.

Juronimo likes this.
  8. For the Love of the Game

Wilt played most of his prime years in Phila, that's why.

9. For the Love of the Game

You can't ignore the level of comp. There is no way to know how rings Kobe wins in the 80's, and vice versa. If I were to take a guess, I would guess that Kobe wins less than 5 while Magic wins more than 5, maybe a lot more. The 80's was by far the toughest era in NBA history and it's not even close.

10. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

Magic guy checking in

11. therealdeal

I get that. He still helped us win a ring as well though while playing nearly the entire game and averaging 20/20 in the playoffs. He may have been past his prime here, but he was still an absolute force and a key contributor to our only Championship in the 70s.

12. For the Love of the Game

All true. But this discussion is great LAKER ever, so he falls way short of guys like Kobe, Magic, West, etc.

13. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

As much as I marvel at Bryant's individual talent if I were on the same floor with him and I were a skilled player who can create I'd be reduced to spectating. It is just the way it is with scorers like him and a Jordan. Only two very good players have somehow subjugated/blended their own games to play with 24. Odom and Gasol...though both were passive. O'Neal? It was the other way around.

To play with Johnson on the same floor would be different. I could run out on the break and a pass would nestle into my hands for a lay-in or a flush. If I don't look, I'd end up with the ball on the side of the face. A good shooter could drift into his comfort area where they could easily get the rock in their pocket. A back to the basket player would be fed with ease. On the negative side, you have to cover his behind on defense.

Both players were fortunate enough to be successful with the right supporting casts. Bryant's played for him. Johnson's played with him.

14. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I LOVE MAGIC. 5 years ago he'd be my number one pick if Kobe's career had ended at similar years. So I agree with your preference though having stated on 1st page why I pick Kobe. No problem, you were doing fine UNTIL the hi-lighted portion. Dropped the ball there big time trying to bolster your point. That's just not accurate to say poll with Kobe on top is skewed predominantly by younger fans here. Lots of peeps here that thrilled to BOTH Magic and Kobe's entire careers as Lakers will have voted Kobe. Just sayin' no way you can dismiss the Kobe votes due mainly to predominance of really recent fans here. Hell all the first ones over from CL likely skew much "longer" time FANS.

15. therealdeal

I don't disagree with that. I'm just pointing out the rich history of our franchise. When a player like Wilt isn't even in the discussion for "best Laker ever" it's a real testament to the franchise's greatness.

Jordan recently had his jersey retired in Miami for example.

16. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

What is the Jordan comment about, real?

17. therealdeal

Just saying that we have a ton of great players and other franchises don't. Miami doesn't have many at all so they have to celebrate other people's.

18. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Some valid points, but I think the spectating thing is a bit exaggerated. Kobe doesn't have 2 of his rings if Horry doesn't make that shot against Sactown, and if Metta World Panda doesn't make that shot against the C Bags.

Also, don't forget to compare their games on D. If Magic needed to lock someone down in the playoffs he would step aside and lean on Coop. If Kobe needed to lock someone down in the playoffs he just did.

19. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

I don't see how it can't still be Magic. Though I love Kobe I don't think he has overtaken him accomplishment-wise.

Rookie season, leads team to the championship with Kareem out in game 6 and Magic playing all 5 positions 42 pts 15 reg 7 asst 3 steals 1 block winning it for us. 5 rings in 8 years. Career cut short. who knows what else he would have achieved.

20. thkthebest

thkthebest Administrator Staff Member

Well, I think it's a lot more complicated than that. You can't ignore longevity. If it weren't a factor, most people's top 10 would look very different.

Kobe leads the Lakers in games, field goals, 3pters, free throws, points, steals, etc. He's 3rd in rebounds (ahead of Magic), 7th in blocks (ahead of Magic), and 3rd in assists (way behind Magic). If a guy is on top of basically every statistical category on the Lakers, he has a very good argument as the greatest Laker of all-time.

He has just as many rings as Magic. Magic did win 5 rings in 9 years (less time), but if you're going to selectively choose a 9-year span, Kobe isn't that far behind as he won 5 rings in a 10-year span.

Magic did play in the toughest era of basketball, but he was also on one of the most stacked teams of all-time. It goes both ways.

We also have to define "best", "greatest", and "most influential". Those 3 don't necessarily mean the same thing.