Gary Vitti Will Leave Lakers After Next Season (LA Times Article)

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Battle Tested20, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Trainer Gary Vitti, who's cared for Lakers legends, nears end of watch

[​IMG]

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-vitti-kobe-20150727-story.html#page=1

KB24 likes this.
  2. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    I'm thankful for his service; he really seems to be part of the Lakers family, but it is time to see him go. We seem to be lagging behind other teams in terms of training theory.

3. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    The part that sticks out the most to me in the article was this quote:

So much has happened the last few years, so little of it positive. Vitti even called it "a nightmare." Few would disagree, the Lakers continually losing Bryant and Steve Nash to injury, along with a slew of games.

4. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

This. All Day Long. We should be on the cutting edge of these things; training, nutrition, conditioning, and everything pertaining to these things. I'm grateful for Vitti, but you're exactly right, Trodgers; time for a change...

5. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Riley...West...Hearn...Dr. Buss...Bertka...Vitti. The constituents of the 1980's Showtime crew other than the players have left. All I have are my memories of that glorious era that I will take with me. Thank you Vitti. You will always be a Laker to me.

432J, raviator, therealdeal and 4 others like this.
  6. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

Really grateful for everything he has done, but I definitely think this is best for both sides. Time to go in another direction.

7. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Medicine, like technology is growing and improving daily, at a rate that is hard to keep up with if you're not in the thick of it, doing it daily. Vitti was probably at the top of his game (sports medicine) in the early 80s. So much has happened since then. I'm sure he's tried his best to keep up, but their is no substitute for experience. Almost sacrilegious to say, but I agree with @trodgers It's time. Was probably time in the early 00s.

Wish him nothing but the best!

Now, let's go get the best to replace him.

JSM, therealdeal, Kenzo and 2 others like this.
  8. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    The thing that has long stuck with me is the way Vitti speaks of learning of Magic's diagnosis.

"We go into our locker room (at the Great Western Forum), and Earvin comes in and he tells the players. I cannot tell you how emotional that was. Every one of us, we're all thinking, Earvin's going to be dead in two years. He's going to wither away. Here's this guy we love, and you're just thinking the worst. Tears were just flowing. And then he goes upstairs and gives this press conference, and he's like, 'Ah, I'm going to beat this thing.' "
    http://www.nba.com/2011/news/featur...7/remembering-magic-johnson-hiv-announcement/

Another good article, in which he cries in the interview despite it being more than a decade later, remembering the diagnosis.
    http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/110715_november_7_1991.html

9. bonk

bonk - Rookie -

Quantitative Analyst
    I'd like to think it's because of "theory" or lack of being current but looking at how this group has acted in the past I'd venture a guess that it's because he's getting a veteran salary and they can find someone cheaper.

10. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    I remember Magic had a cut during a game and Vitti treated the cut without gloves. The California Medical Board came down on him pretty hard. However, they had no jurisdiction over him because

He's not a doctor.:SmushFail:

He has a MS in Sports Medicine, from way back in 1976.

Explains a lot.

11. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

1984...Hearn's passing...2008...Dr. Buss' passing... Along with 11/7/91...all were low points as a Laker fan.

The Showtime Mamba and trodgers like this.
  12. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    wish he could have saved his magic touch for players like Smush

Battle Tested20 likes this.
  13. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
  14. sirronstuff

that was sarcasm. Dammit :SmushFail:

15. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I like Vitti immensely. He's been here for a long time and he's a knowledgeable guy... but he's so far behind in terms of modern science and modern medicine... I know the guy has tenure so it's difficult to just outright tell him do anything, but this is definitely overdue.

We said a while ago: when do you look at our injury history over the last few years and blame our staff? They say they're on top of things, but why are all our players getting hurt? Someone somewhere is making a mistake. Is it the doctors we use? The training staff? The medical staff? I don't know much about Seto, but Kobe swears by her. I know the head trainer here D'Francesco is a really knowledgeable trainer. That leaves Gary. I think the times have just passed him by at this point...

All that said, he's certainly part of the Laker family just like Chick was. He's been an institution and I'll never forget the way he treated Magic's cut without gloves at a time when people were terrified of HIV spreading. That's something you do for someone you really care about and no one can ever question how much passion and love he put into this franchise.

16. sirronstuff

I think he's always kept up on the latest and greatest info and practices as much as possible, and he's a member of the family. There will always come a point in time where it's logical that you can't keep up with all of the change, and that it's logical to bring someone who was trained with an updated foundation of knowledge. That person won't have many of the skills we take for granted someone of Vitti's experience level would have, but they will eventually get there. Hopefully the Lakers will take on a person who is a great combination of youngish/experienced/overly qualified and cutting edge to not only just help us keep up, but exceed what others have available to them.

It's what Vitti wants for us too.

LaVarBallsDad and therealdeal like this.
  17. LaVarBallsDad

Julius Randle feared his leg was going to break.

A small bump had developed on his right leg a few months after the Los Angeles Lakers selected him seventh overall in the 2014 NBA draft, one he said caused an "achy, sharp pain."

"'Man, this ain't right,'" Randle said he told himself at the time. "If I don't figure out what this is, I'm going to break my leg.'"

He was right. In his first NBA game, Randle drove to the basket midway through the fourth quarter and prepared to launch his 6-foot-9, 250-pound frame off his right foot.

Then his foot buckled.

Randle collapsed, but he didn't writhe in pain or scream or cry. He just sat there -- his tibia fractured, his season over after 14 minutes of playing time, his face empty of emotion.

"I wasn't in any initial shock or anything," he said. "I knew exactly what happened."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13218900/julius-randle-rookie-season-bump-road

18. LaVarBallsDad

As others have said, injuries have been occurring more frequently the last few years; all of that isn't on Vitti; but the Randle injury really did it for me...

ElginTheGreat and Barnstable like this.
  19. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

it'll be a sad day and very weird when gary vitti isn't seen on the lakers bench

he's the last remaining link to the showtime era still on the frontlines. he's been an incredibly huge part of this team for so long but it's safe to say that its time the lakers medical staff starts working in 2015 and not the old era it seems they've been stuck in. and that's not all on vitti, he's an old school guy and it's pretty clear he and the rest of the staff have tried their best to keep up with all the new technology and methods that seem to pop up everyday. these past few seasons have definitely been a nightmare in that category but props to gary for doing his best.

we've all given him and the medical staff tons of crap over the years for not being the suns medical staff but i'd say he's done one hell of a job in recent years with all that's been handed to him

Chillbongo likes this.
  20. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

End of an era. But as many said, it's time. Vitti has been there for the Lakers but it's time to move forward.

therealdeal likes this.